GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Looking for a Luxury Mid-Size SUV

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-18, 10:52 AM
MagnumP45
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking for a Luxury Mid-Size SUV

I've been reading a lot of great information on your forum lately, and appreciate your knowledge of the GX. I am a new user, and am trying to decide on a new SUV. I currently own a 08 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4 that I bought new. It has been a great vehicle with absolutely zero problems over its 109,000 mile life. It still runs like new. I am totally happy with its performance, but I am ready for something newer and more luxurious.

I have to write off Nissan and Infiniti because they've turned the Pathfinder/QX60 into a soccer mom car (in my opinion). I immediately thought of the GX because of the true off road capability combined with the luxury of Lexus. I love the exterior, but the interior reminds me of a similar (although slightly nicer) style as my Pathfinder. It's way outdated. I won't beat a dead horse there. I know there are tons of online reviews that beat up the GX interior. I started looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit line. It looks really nice to me with a great interior, and off road heritage. I just can't get past the historically awful reliability of Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler. I've been lurking on the Grand Cherokee forum as well. I think the consensus there is that they love their Grand Cherokees, but seem like most or all of them opt for the lifetime warranty unless they plan to trade before the normal warranty runs out. I don't really like that idea. I typically keep me cars about 10 years. I don't want to be a regular at the service shop for any dealer.

I don't think I can bring myself to getting a crossover like the RX, Q7, X5, QX60. So, what am I to do? Just drive mine until sometime later this year and see what Lexus does with the 2019 GX? If nothing changes for 2019, do I wait another year for 2020? Do I buy the Grand Cherokee with the lifetime warranty and roll the dice? I'm really torn, but have a serious desire to get something by the end of the year.

I did see that the UX was getting Apple CarPlay for 2019. Maybe that will signal a possibility for that to happen in the GX too? What do you think? Even a small interior refresh in Navigation system/infotainment system would make me very happy.

Btw, I'm not interested in the larger SUVs like LX or QX80, although they are nice. I just don't need something that big.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Last edited by MagnumP45; 05-02-18 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-02-18, 11:21 AM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

at this point, nobody can be sure if 19' GX will bring substantial changes. I agree that the current interior and infotainment technology leave a lot to desire for. No car is perfect. What is more important to you, updated tech or proven reliability? With Lexus, you will always be a few steps behind on technology.
The following users liked this post:
MagnumP45 (05-02-18)
Old 05-02-18, 11:29 AM
MagnumP45
Driver

Originally Posted by tuandino
at this point, nobody can be sure if 19' GX will bring substantial changes. I agree that the current interior and infotainment technology leave a lot to desire for. No car is perfect. What is more important to you, updated tech or proven reliability? With Lexus, you will always be a few steps behind on technology.
Thanks for the input. Definitely reliability wins which is why I really like the GX. But, its strange to me that Lexus has the tech in other platforms. Why not just take what you have in other vehicles and put it in the GX. I realize I am oversimplifying it a bit because I understand there are costs in modifying processes and equipment on the assembly line.

I'm just trying to future proof my new car purchase as much as I can. I don't want to buy a GX, settle for current interior, then next year's model is exactly what I want. That's all. I realize no one knows what's going to happen next year, but just thought I would see what everyone's opinion is on my current situation.
Old 05-02-18, 11:36 AM
simer86
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumP45
I've been reading a lot of great information on your forum lately, and appreciate your knowledge of the GX. I am a new user, and am trying to decide on a new SUV. I currently own a 08 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4 that I bought new. It has been a great vehicle with absolutely zero problems over its 109,000 mile life. It still runs like new. I am totally happy with its performance, but I am ready for something newer and more luxurious.

I have to write off Nissan and Infiniti because they've turned the Pathfinder/QX60 into a soccer mom car (in my opinion). I immediately thought of the GX because of the true off road capability combined with the luxury of Lexus. I love the exterior, but the interior reminds me of a similar (although slightly nicer) style as my Pathfinder. It's way outdated. I won't beat a dead horse there. I know there are tons of online reviews the beat up the GX interior. I started looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit line. It looks really nice to me with a great interior, and off road heritage. I just can't get past the historically awful reliability of Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler. I've been lurking on the Grand Cherokee forum as well. I think the consensus there is that they love their Grand Cherokees, but seem like most or all of them opt for the lifetime warranty unless they plan to trade before the normal warranty runs out. I don't really like that idea. I typically keep me cars about 10 years. I don't want to be a regular at the service shop for any dealer.

I don't think I can bring myself to getting a crossover like the RX, Q7, X5, QX60. So, what am I to do? Just drive mine until sometime later this year and see what Lexus does with the 2019 GX? If nothing changes for 2019, do I wait another year for 2020? Do I buy the Grand Cherokee with the lifetime warranty and roll the dice? I'm really torn, but have a serious desire to get something by the end of the year.

I did see that the UX was getting Apple CarPlay for 2019. Maybe that will signal a possibility for that to happen in the GX too? What do you think? Even a small interior refresh in Navigation system/infotainment system would make me very happy.

Btw, I'm not interested in the larger SUVs like LX or QX80, although they are nice. I just don't need something that big.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Honestly, I was under the same dilemma as you are with the similar options that you have been looking for until day before yesterday however I broke my overthought process and went for 18 GX460 Premium and honestly I'm missing my favorite adaptive cruise control option and auto fold side mirrors etc. HOWEVER the feel of driving this beast is beyond words.
The wait for updated GX is beyond question here since who knows if Lexus will ever come with this change or not? OR may be even if they do relaunch who can tell Lexus would keep same old ruggedness or will make this a fancy crossover.
MagnumP45 (05-02-18)
Old 05-02-18, 11:59 AM
MagnumP45
Driver

Originally Posted by simer86
Honestly, I was under the same dilemma as you are with the similar options that you have been looking for until day before yesterday however I broke my overthought process and went for 18 GX460 Premium and honestly I'm missing my favorite adaptive cruise control option and auto fold side mirrors etc. HOWEVER the feel of driving this beast is beyond words.
The wait for updated GX is beyond question here since who knows if Lexus will ever come with this change or not? OR may be even if they do relaunch who can tell Lexus would keep same old ruggedness or will make this a fancy crossover.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I haven't followed the model year roll out for Lexus before. Based on the past, what month should we expect the 19 GX to be unveiled (in whatever form its going to be)? Maybe I hold out until then, and if there is nothing new make a decision then?
Old 05-02-18, 05:06 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

IF the soccer mom image is an issue you may want to reconsider the GX as in the northeast I see way more women driving it then men.
Old 05-02-18, 05:26 PM
MagnumP45
Driver

Originally Posted by TheHighLow
IF the soccer mom image is an issue you may want to reconsider the GX as in the northeast I see way more women driving it then men.
Ha ha. I didn’t mean anything bad by that comment. I just wanted something with true off road capability instead of all the car based platforms popping up lately. I want something I can pack up and go camping in the mountains as well as ride around town in style.
Old 05-02-18, 05:33 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

If you are looking to buy new I suggest you wait for the questionable 2019 possibilities.

By the way, welcome to CL
MagnumP45 (05-02-18)
Old 05-02-18, 06:10 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

What you want is what you want. But as best as I can tell CarPlay is the most overhyped feature ever offered. I have it on my BMW 540 and have yet to figure out why I would want to use it. I admit I mainly care about good music and don't care where it comes from. Nor do I care to trade messages while I drive. But, virtually everyone on the BMW forum who has commented on CarPlay have said they have tried it and don't like it.

I bought the GX for my wife. I'm a serious enthusiast and if it were for me I would have bought a more performance oriented SUV. Yet I find myself enjoying the solid, refined competence of the GX. The ML stereo is spectacular. The whole vehicle feels like "old money" where competence becomes more important than flash.

Sure, I'm 65 years old, but still....my car is a 540 M Sport and I ride very fast motorcycles in ways that most people outgrew 30 years younger. But I digress
The following 2 users liked this post by jjscsix:
JT4 (05-04-18), User21c (05-02-18)
Old 05-02-18, 07:24 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tuandino
There was once a rumor if next gen. GX ever came out it'll be unibody chassis. I drive fully loaded Audi SQ5, Q7 is nice one for sure. Mercedes GLE series is good.
One MB vehicle in my family it is very reliable from the beginning. BMWs as well no complaints of any issues from day one.BMW, Audi, MB don't charge anything for service during factory warranty period. When I had Lexus RX the charged even for an oil change. We don't our cars too long any how.

Last edited by Htony; 05-02-18 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-03-18, 06:18 AM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
What you want is what you want. But as best as I can tell CarPlay is the most overhyped feature ever offered. I have it on my BMW 540 and have yet to figure out why I would want to use it. I admit I mainly care about good music and don't care where it comes from. Nor do I care to trade messages while I drive. But, virtually everyone on the BMW forum who has commented on CarPlay have said they have tried it and don't like it.

I bought the GX for my wife. I'm a serious enthusiast and if it were for me I would have bought a more performance oriented SUV. Yet I find myself enjoying the solid, refined competence of the GX. The ML stereo is spectacular. The whole vehicle feels like "old money" where competence becomes more important than flash.

Sure, I'm 65 years old, but still....my car is a 540 M Sport and I ride very fast motorcycles in ways that most people outgrew 30 years younger. But I digress
I hear what ya saying. carplay is overhyped. I don't miss it one bit when switching from x5 to gx. The things i miss is the comfort seat with 20 way adjustments and the handling. I see you own quite a few bikes, what's your favorite? It brings instant joy and a smile to my face every time I have a chance to ride my vfr 800.
Old 05-03-18, 07:13 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

It has to be at least 2020, since they are still keeping the same design for the 4runners and the tundras for 2019. And even after that the new GX will most likely be a cross-over. LX might stayed the true SUV.
Old 05-03-18, 07:46 AM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer
It has to be at least 2020, since they are still keeping the same design for the 4runners and the tundras for 2019. And even after that the new GX will most likely be a cross-over. LX might stayed the true SUV.
According to Automotive News, GX redesign is supposed to be in 2020.
Old 05-03-18, 08:12 AM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

There arent many direct competitors to the GX. I think the discovery or whatever its called now, LR3, is the most direct competitor. There arent many body on frame SUVs left out there, at least not in the US.

Sounds like you want a 4x4 with some luxury features to it then the GX is the best bet. If you dont want to wait, these trucks hold their value so well you probably wouldnt take much of or as big of a resale hit as you would with an American, German, or even Nissan. I'd personally never own any FCA product out of warranty.

The three things I am anxious to see besides a redesigned GX are the Bronco (if they offer 4 door and the TT6), maybe the Subaru Ascent (again only if they decide to offer a bigger engine), or if they ever get around to redesigning the Sequoia.
MagnumP45 (05-03-18)
Old 05-03-18, 09:55 AM
VentoGT
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix

Carplay is completely not used in my VW Sportwagen [my car] as I will not use Apple Maps and it is very apple-y in the way they will only push Apple owned apps through the interface. Once they allow Google Maps or Waze I'll use it for navigation. For now bluetooth is fine for me with streaming podcasts/music through my phone. The GX I like because it is decidedly "old school"...I don't like most of the tech in newer cars and want less to go wrong, and I like the true 4x4 nature and reliability of the GX, hence the choice.

Very few remaining body on frame trucks out there, so if that is what you want, as well as long term reliability, you could do far worse than the GX, just know you won't get the newest tech doodads
MagnumP45 (05-03-18)

Quick Reply: Looking for a Luxury Mid-Size SUV