GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX Broken Into, Not Happy With How It Was Handled (Lexus Roadside Sucks)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 12:17 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts
Default GX Broken Into, Not Happy With How It Was Handled (Lexus Roadside Sucks)

So my wife's 2017 GX was broken into, they smashed the driver's side window and took a shopping bag that had some kid's clothes in it. It was in a REALLY nice part of town in the middle of the day around a lot of people. It's amazing how much damage someone will do for next to nothing. Also, do a good job hiding your stuff, had my wife hidden the bags better, the car would have probably not been broken into.

Anyway, two things really bugged me besides the break in.

The car was not drivable because of the shattered glass. I called the dealership and they said Lexus Roadside will tow it in for no charge. I call Lexus Roadside, they refused to tow it saying they don't cover that. Woman was adamant they wouldn't tow my car because it wasn't "their" fault, the car was running. I thought that was an outrageous response. You see ads for this type of service where people get into an accident and use the plan when they are in a jam. So I called AAA instead.

The second part that was maddening is what Lexus charges for glass is crazy expensive. I figured the dealership would be more, but it was like $1,200 to replace just that window. My insurance company said they wouldn't pay it and instead used one of their providers where they would do it no charge to me. Actual cost is like $200-$300. I knew the dealership would be more, but that seems highway robbery to me.

So I won't have an OEM driver's window and Lexus Roadside assistance is a joke.
The following users liked this post:
Coulter (04-10-18)
Old 04-10-18, 12:49 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
So my wife's 2017 GX was broken into, they smashed the driver's side window and took a shopping bag that had some kid's clothes in it. It was in a REALLY nice part of town in the middle of the day around a lot of people. It's amazing how much damage someone will do for next to nothing. Also, do a good job hiding your stuff, had my wife hidden the bags better, the car would have probably not been broken into.

Anyway, two things really bugged me besides the break in.

The car was not drivable because of the shattered glass. I called the dealership and they said Lexus Roadside will tow it in for no charge. I call Lexus Roadside, they refused to tow it saying they don't cover that. Woman was adamant they wouldn't tow my car because it wasn't "their" fault, the car was running. I thought that was an outrageous response. You see ads for this type of service where people get into an accident and use the plan when they are in a jam. So I called AAA instead.

The second part that was maddening is what Lexus charges for glass is crazy expensive. I figured the dealership would be more, but it was like $1,200 to replace just that window. My insurance company said they wouldn't pay it and instead used one of their providers where they would do it no charge to me. Actual cost is like $200-$300. I knew the dealership would be more, but that seems highway robbery to me.

So I won't have an OEM driver's window and Lexus Roadside assistance is a joke.
First of all, sorry to hear your mis-fortune and for what had happened to your GX.

In defense of Lexus Roadside Services and Dealer, two principle issues do need to recognize: A) Lexus Roadside Services is part of Lexus quality assurance program which IS designed to ensure Lexus owner(s) in situation when vehicle MALFUNCTION to be able to get some assistance. What happened to you is certainly a case of insurance coverage. I can fully understand your frustration at the time, and if Lexus representative could be more nice toned in conversation to offer you some suggestion, I don't know how the conversation went. But it is technically outside of Lexus Roadside Assistance responsibility. B) On window replacement part, how your insurance underwriting of policy has lots to do what insurance will cover or not. OEM window glass do carry a premier price, so as the labor cost at dealer. Those are published pricing and you can certainly shopping form different Lexus dealer if you feel one has quoted you unreasonably. Depends on your insurance policy, you may have to option of insisting to replace windows with OEM parts to retain your proper value for your vehicle. So again, its not really fair to faulty Lexus dealer for quoting in to high matter. We all know the window glass difference between OEM and Non-OEM differences, If insurance designated installer would buy OEM window glass, they cost maybe just as high as dealers.

We all expecting better outcome in situations like that. But we often forgot the principles and also need to look every situation in difference perspectives. The most important part is no one gets hurt and no unbearable financial looses.......
The following 3 users liked this post by hzhao:
MrJamison (04-30-18), tecman (04-10-18), tuandino (04-10-18)
Old 04-10-18, 01:11 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Sorry to hear this BradTank.

I live in the second highest income city in Georgia and car break-ins are the biggest problem we have. People come here from the rough areas to do this because people here have money and feel safe so they will leave valuables in sight and many don"t lock the car door at night when the car is in the driveway.

Well put hzhao!!
hzhao (04-10-18)
Old 04-10-18, 04:48 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
First of all, sorry to hear your mis-fortune and for what had happened to your GX.

In defense of Lexus Roadside Services and Dealer, two principle issues do need to recognize: A) Lexus Roadside Services is part of Lexus quality assurance program which IS designed to ensure Lexus owner(s) in situation when vehicle MALFUNCTION to be able to get some assistance. What happened to you is certainly a case of insurance coverage. I can fully understand your frustration at the time, and if Lexus representative could be more nice toned in conversation to offer you some suggestion, I don't know how the conversation went. But it is technically outside of Lexus Roadside Assistance responsibility.
Do you work for Lexus?

Here on the Lexus Roadside Assistance Terms of Service it says

"Breakdown An unforeseen event when an Eligible Vehicle or an Other Vehicle is immobilised as a result of the failure of a mechanical or electronic part or system or combination thereof (including any manufacturer’s accessory); a puncture; a lock out; theft; attempted theft; vandalism or a lack of fuel, oil or consumable item. The failure of any part or system component may be customer induced provided that it was accidental."

Lexus Roadside Terms And Conditions

Seems to me it should be covered. And that's certainly how they position these services. I mean if I hit a nail on the road and have a flat, how is that any different than someone breaking in my car and I can't drive it?

I sure as hell know I would not recommend anyone actually pay money for any sort of extension on this service.

It's the same with Lexus and their Enform option, charging people for a keyless start where they have to buy a subscription just to use something the car already has.
Old 04-10-18, 05:46 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Sorry to hear about this but i'm not surprised at both Lexus not towing it and the dealership cost for replacing the window. I don't work for Lexus but in their defense, the car is isn't disabled, that theft attempt probably means something is damaged to where the car doesn't start or run safely... i'd side with you here if they ripped out the windshield.
Additionally, your insurance company will use generic glass and not the ones from Lexus, not saying that the quality isn't equal.

Whoever said Lexus roadside would tow this needs to clarify their statement and clear up their advice to you since they were incorrect.

Last edited by msgs350; 04-10-18 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-10-18, 06:06 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

That's a pretty lame excuse on Lexus part, and it looks to me from the documentation you linked to the service person was dead wrong about what was covered.

Also, shattered glass inside a car IS disabled from safely driving, the air can whip up a shard of shattered glass and do serious damage to your eyes.

For whatever reason, Lexus charges crazy money for their glass. I went through something similar and got Pilkington (who makes glass for both Toyota and Lexus) and it was about 90% less than what the stealership wanted. No issues and it was quality.
BradTank (04-10-18)
Old 04-10-18, 08:31 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

What I would do in your situation is that get the oem glass and let a local company put it on for you. So that ull still have the oem glass and u won't be paying that crazy amount of money aswell.
Old 04-10-18, 09:06 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Lexus Roadside Service agent was spewing BULLCHIT! Reads like it should be covered. In hindsight, the outcome might have been different if you asked to speak to her supervisor. But in that stressful situation I understand the need for an expedient solution, hence AAA.
BradTank (04-11-18)