GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

[Mod] Smart Card Key (Credit Card style key) for GX460 / FOB Programming

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 06:21 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sewell Lexus, sewellparts.com: GX460 SMART Card

We just discovered a workable SMART Card for the new GX460. Thanks to our Service Director John Godyn, we were successfully able to program it to his newly purchased 2010 GX460.

For those of you not familiar with this, it's a small credit card sized card that works in place of your current key fob. In other words, you don't have to have your key fob on your person in order to enter and/or start your GX460 just the SMART Card. The security transponder is located inside the card that allows entry. It programs just like adding a new key fob!

Click the image below for more details:

For programming, you will be required to seek the services of your local dealer to register the additional SMART card (key).

If you have any questions or concerns, just email me directly.

Thanks,
Darrel

Popular Reply

03-17-18, 10:14 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 128 Posts
Lightbulb [Mod] Smart Card Key (Credit Card style key) for GX460 / FOB Programming

*Disclaimer* Not responsible for damage to your vehicle or yourself or to your wallet if this does not work for you.

Part # for smart card key:
89994-48142 (Transmitter)

Programming failed?? Check the battery. It could need a replacement.
The battery in this key is a CR2412.

=================================================================
Make sure you read this section if you do not plan on reading anything else below.

For this to work:
Original Key Fob needs to have the FCC ID: HYQ14ACX
Smart card key needs to have FCC ID: HYQ14AEB

This FCC ID is found on the back of your key in small printed font below the Lexus logo

Again to have a better chance of this to work, your FCC ID’s need to be…
HYQ14ACX = HYQ14AEB
These are not Toyota/Lexus part numbers. These are unique identifiers that the FCC gives to the keys.
=================================================================

What is it:
This is an OEM Lexus Smart card key that resembles the size and shape of 2-3 credit cards stacked together.It is used as a “basic replacement” for your current key fob. “Basic replacement” because it lacks the buttons on the key fob. It can unlock/lock your vehicle by touching the door handle and it can start the vehicle.

Side Note:
Lexus does not list a guaranteed Smart Card Key part # in the parts database for the GX460. I am not sure why since many other Lexus models have a smart card key part # available.

The FCC ID on the key fob is the important identifier for all of this to work. The technical side of this involves the proper FM frequency that the key transmits to the vehicle. If you want more details on the FCC ID information, check out the links under “References”.

Where to purchase:
Ebay $221.84 + $4 shipping = $225.84
Regular version (black)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-OEM-F...cAAOSwj0NUb3jX
Hybrid version (blue)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-OEM-F...cAAOSwj0NUb3jX

Difference between Black and Blue
This is for aesthetics/looks only. Both the black and the blue have the same part # and will function the same.
Black refers to the background color behind the chrome Lexus logo on the key.
Blue refers to the background color behind the chrome Lexus logo on the key. You see the blue color on all the Lexus emblems that are hybrids.

Amazon $210.46 + $6 shipping = $216.46 + Tax for AZ residents

I purchased from Bell Lexus' eBay listing during the site wide 20% coupon sale about a week ago. I ended up purchasing the key for $180.97 shipped.

Pros:
This is the size of 2-3 credit cards. I can fit this in my wallet without any issues.

Cons:
You lose the buttons on the regular key fob (Lock, Unlock, Rear window pop-out, and alarm)
Remote start will not work with this key due to the lack of buttons. (Lexus Enform on your phone will still work)
The price does not include a mechanical key.
If the battery dies on the key there might not be a way into the vehicle if you don’t have a mechanical key or a spare battery hiding somewhere underneath the car. The vehicle should give plenty of warning when the battery is in need of a replacement.

Why:
I wanted to downsize my collection of keys that I carried on a daily basis. I also have a tendency to forget my wallet when I leave to go places. Since this fits into my wallet, I will have both on me at all times (at least I hope).

Other Notes:
My GX460 is a 2016.

This has a slot for a thin profile mechanical key. I have to check with the dealer to see if I can get a mechanical key cut for the GX. Part # 69515-30350 (Cost approx. $40 without cutting)

The battery in this key is a CR2412.

EDIT: Used card keys (with the right card key)will work after getting the seed-code and resetting the vehicles key memory.

Final Thoughts:
I didn’t figure out this mod by myself. There were many others who got these keys to work on various Toyota/Lexus vehicles. I think some other GX460 owners have this key already. I wanted to share what I found during my research making sure it works for the GX460.

If the key was priced around $100, I would say this is a definite buy. I ended up purchasing the key for $180, which was a worthwhile price for me since it helped solve two issues for me.

I typed too much for a simple key. I didn’t even get to the part where I used Techstream to register the key.

References:
If you want to read more…
https://priuschat.com/threads/info-s.../#post-2325479 (This was my main source of information that gave me hope for this project.)

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/33...ighlander.html

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...tacoma.445979/

https://attachments.priuschat.com/at...SB-0033-13.pdf (2013 TSB for Toyota vehicle keys)

https://www.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/98012/L-SB-0007-13 (2013 TSB for Lexus vehicle keys)

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...60743-2280.pdf (Lexus Key Documentation)

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...cc_id=HYQ14ACX (FCC Documents for HYQ14ACX)

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...cc_id=HYQ14AEB (FCC Documents for HYQ14AEB)

Edit:

I'll try to keep a running list of members who have successfully registered the credit card key. Hopefully this helps your decision on whether you plan to do this or not.

Card Registration Successful (Name, Date, Model Year, Trim Level)
  1. ObsidianBl, (3-18-18), 2016, Premium
  2. SigEpGX460 (4-7-18), 2014, Luxury
  3. Hzhao (4-12-18) 2014, Luxury

Used Card Key Successful Registration:
  1. Ramacher (8-23-19) "original [key] was HYQ14ACX and I programmed a HYQ14AEB."

Old 06-05-10, 12:06 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How much is the card tho?
Old 06-05-10, 07:15 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
How much is the card tho?
The smart card is $195 and the key is $53.

I think it costs about $40 to get it programmed, but you can check with your dealer.
Old 06-06-10, 06:00 AM
NoNameDFW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm... looks pretty cool!
Old 06-06-10, 07:52 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus-Parts
... it's a small credit card sized card that works in place of your current key fob. In other words, you don't have to have your key fob on your person in order to enter and/or start your GX460 just the SMART Card. The security transponder is located inside the card that allows entry. It programs just like adding a new key fob!
I read the description and think I understand what this is, but what is the "value proposition" i.e., what are the advantages compared to the electronic key that is provided with the vehicle? Let me try to answer my own question:

1. The Smart Card is presumably smaller than the electronic key, so it is easier to carry ... and to conceal. Presumably it would fit in a wallet in the same slot as a credit card.

2. There are no buttons on the Smart Card so it is presumably more robust to shock, vibration and moisture, i.e., drop it in a puddle or on concrete and it might survive, whereas the electronic keys may not.

3. It only allows the vehicle to be unlocked and started, rather than the electronic keys that also provide a mechanical key. That may be more secure since the mechanical key could be used to unlock the glove box, which may be where valuables are stored. Effectively, the Smart Card is like the electronic key, minus the mechanical key and the buttons.

4. For those who are so trusting, the Smart Card could be left in the vehicle, perhaps locked in the glove box, which would be a fail-safe if the electronic keys were misplaced. However, that would allow anyone to unlock the vehicle simply by touching the door handles!

What have I missed?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 06-06-10, 11:00 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
I read the description and think I understand what this is, but what is the "value proposition" i.e., what are the advantages compared to the electronic key that is provided with the vehicle?
I agree that the advantage is the convenience of the smaller size.

It has the disadvantage of not having the buttons, but it does have an embedded card key which has to be purchased separately.

I don't think you will be able to leave the Smart Card in the glove box, because of the reasons you mentioned. Hopefully the GX would also beep, like with the key fob, if you try to lock the car while the key is still inside.
Attached Thumbnails [Mod] Smart Card Key (Credit Card style key) for GX460 / FOB Programming-card-key.jpg  

Last edited by antonio98; 06-06-10 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-06-10, 11:26 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Our 2006 RX 400h came with a plastic holder for a temporary key made of aluminum ... light, but not durable and for emergency use only. The holder was the size of a credit card. I put it in my wallet and forgot about it ... the only time I used it was when we traded the RX for our GX! ;-)

What we got with our RX was 'inert' metal and plastic ... it had no function other than to sit in my wallet "just in case". The Smart Card is functional and presumably there is a battery to power its electronics. So, it appears for all intents and purposes to be a substitute for the electronic keys that come with the vehicle ... with one difference ... it would require the Card Key that Antonio described to separate the mechanical from the electronic functions.

As my wife and I are the only drivers and each already has found a good place to keep our electronic keys ... hers in her purse and mine on the handle of the door leading into the garage ... the Smart Card would serve little purpose. I could imagine a scenario where we locked our valuables in the glove box and handed the Smart Card to a third person to drive the GX, e.g., a parking lot attendant. However, we could do the same by removing the mechanical part of our keys and giving them the electronic part. For that matter, I do the same when I go to the carwash ... I leave the electronic key in the center console so they can re-start at the end of the line.

I appreciate hearing about this interesting option, but unless there is a benefit we have overlooked, I'll pass ...
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. I am unaware that our electronic keys beep. The GX beeps if an electronic key is left inside the vehicle when the driver exits without turning off the vehicle, but the beep comes from the vehicle, not the key.
Old 06-06-10, 01:18 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me add my two cents into the conversation.

When the Smart Card was offered, I immediately ordered it.

Being a little familiar with the Smart Card, because my son has one for his RX, I knew that there is a Mechanical Key that inserts into the Smart Card in case the battery goes dead in the Card.

So, I ordered the Mechanical Key from Sewell and gave them the Key Code for my GX 460, so they could cut the Key before they mailed it to me.

At the last minute, last Friday before Darrel went on vacation, he discovered that the Mechanical Key that is listed for the GX 460 will Not work on the Smart Card they are offering.

So I told Darrel to go ahead and send me the Smart Card without the Mechanical Key. I went on to say that I will just make sure that I don't let the battery go dead on the Smart Card.

~ Cap
Old 06-08-10, 01:34 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

One more concern... I have remote start... I don't think the key card can do that
Old 06-08-10, 07:41 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by ybing

One more concern... I have remote start... I don't think the key card can do that
I intend to use the Smart Card when I dont have the bulky Keys in my pocket.

~ Cap
Old 06-14-10, 07:29 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Smart Card

Had the Smart Card programmed to my GX 460 today, works Great.

Charge was $62.50.

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 06-14-10 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-27-11, 11:59 AM
bsjoiner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Credit Card Key for 2012 GX460

Hi everyone,

I have owned a few Lexus cars and SUVs over that past few years and I always have purchased one of the Credit Card keys because i prefer not have to carry around one more thing. The problem that I am having is that I just purchased a 2012 GX460 and cannot seem to find the correct key. My local dealer has programmed these for me before (I have an 2011 GX with no issue) but they are having trouble with the 2012.

Does anyone know anything about getting the proper key or has anyone gotten a credit card key to program on a 2012?

Thank you in advance.

Brandon
Old 10-27-11, 12:34 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

When all else fails, http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch

Koz
Old 10-27-11, 09:44 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by bsjoiner

Does anyone know anything about getting the proper key or has anyone gotten a credit card key to program on a 2012?
Brandon, ask for this Part #

8999460051 Key - Smart Card GX460 2012

~ Cap
Old 10-28-11, 04:21 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

How much does this cost?

Koz

Quick Reply: [Mod] Smart Card Key (Credit Card style key) for GX460 / FOB Programming