GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Thinking of purchasing a GX

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 01:17 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Looks like you already talked yourself out of owning a Lexus and the X5 is a good fit for you. As many had pointed out the "pros" and "cons" of each so do what you like. I know for sure that 10 years from now, I'd still be driving my GX while the X5 would probably be long gone.

One friend told me BMW is to pick up chicks, Lexus is to pick up wife. LOL

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
ABtwins (03-02-20)
Old 02-20-18, 01:27 PM
310460tech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good friend owns an X5 and the Performance Center Delivery was fun no two ways about it.

My biggest complaint about the X5 is the seats which I found to be rather hard and not that comfortable.

The Infotainment System (iDrive) is well done and easy enough to use and overall the fit and finish seems good.

Personally, I was not enthralled with the vehicle as I kept asking myself why get a BMW SAV (their term for an SUV) when a 3er would be much more fun to drive.

My buddy loves his X5 and he kept trying to push me to BMW but I am leaning towards the GX.
Old 02-20-18, 08:11 PM
aceboy44
Driver School Candidate

There is still time to decide. The all-new 2019 major redesign for the X5 is set to be released in the summer. If Lexus does the right thing and redesigns the GX I may change my mind, but if the GX 2019 model will not be redesigned, then the X5 is the way to go.

https://www.motor1.com/news/229292/2...-x5-spy-shots/
Old 02-20-18, 08:29 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I’d go with one of Porsche’s offerings if cost of ownership/reliability is not paramount.
Better all around than the BMW in my opinion.
Old 02-20-18, 08:52 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by aceboy44
What quality are you talking about? Did you see the difference in quality for the navigation, camera, body/chasis (in case of collision,) etc. between the two cars?

Test drive both vehicles and you will know what I mean. Huge difference in quality (X5 of course being the winner,) but unfortunately not a huge difference in price!!!!!

As previously mentioned I was disgusted by my visit to Lexus.
Technological superiority for you means quality...I get it, no need to convince me. Quality at least for me is, how many days until I visit the service bay...if bimmerfest f15 (current x5 chassis) posts are anything its not too many.

Different strokes for different folks. Side note, if they upgraded the GX as the LX, probably be the best in class vehicle.
aceboy44 (02-21-18)
Old 02-21-18, 04:17 AM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Also, the X5 will always be a crossover in my book. I’m old school and SUVs gotta be BOF that can can actually get dirty.
Old 02-21-18, 04:38 AM
aceboy44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Technological superiority for you means quality...I get it, no need to convince me. Quality at least for me is, how many days until I visit the service bay...if bimmerfest f15 (current x5 chassis) posts are anything its not too many.

Different strokes for different folks. Side note, if they upgraded the GX as the LX, probably be the best in class vehicle.
You seem to misunderstood me. By quality (besides reliability) I meant the overall quality (body/chassis for collision, technology, Tyre rims, acceleration/engine, etc.)
I'm pretty confident that besides reliability, many people would agree with me
Old 02-21-18, 07:46 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Boy - Perhaps your posts condemning GXs in favor of X5s would be better suited for an X5 forum. Most here enjoy their GXs over the other market offerings. Please stop trolling.
Old 02-21-18, 09:13 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

@AceBoy, why do I get the nagging feeling you are here to just bash the GX and Lexus? My Troll-dar is ringing off the hooks. For someone that can't afford to change cars every 5-6 years, you sure picked a very expensive option to purchase and maintain. Lastly, you live in a place with poor road conditions, yet somehow you determined the X5 will be more durable than any of the BOF vehicles on said poor road conditions. Your decisions contradict everything you say you want, need or can't afford. Is the BMW forums getting boring that you need to come over here?
The following 2 users liked this post by situman:
GB2011GX (02-21-18), User21c (02-21-18)
Old 02-21-18, 09:26 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by aceboy44
I have been driving sedans all my life, but recently I want to change to a SUV due to the poor conditions of the roads where I live. I visited numerous dealers and came with 3 options:

1) BMW X5: I like the car. It has very nice features such as the huge touch screen (which is very useful for navigation,) Panoramic sunroof (a disadvantage for me since I hate panoramic sunroofs,) and 3 years of complimentary BMW concierge service and free built-in Wi-Fi (I get weather updates, traffic updates, etc.) I also appreciate the Hydraulic trunk overall metal quality of the car in case I come across a collision. Now what I hate about the car is maintenance cost (it is insanely expensive to maintain the car,) there is no 360-degree camera (only back camera,) warranty (does not cover battery,) and I'm not sure about reliability of the car.

2) Cadillac Esclade: I like that this is the biggest SUV in the market where you can see the road in front of you and makes you feel like you are the king of the road. I like its powerful V8 engine and the features that come with it such as natural wood, and 360 degree camera. What I'm afraid of is reliability (I don't read many positives reviews about american cars.)

3) Lexus GX460: I find the interior to be a bit dull due to the lack of wood trim, and the V8 is under-powered (less than 300HP) but when I asked the dealer about the annual service fees it suited my budget well. I also want a very reliable car that would last with me for years. I'm reluctant as I may not enjoy this car as much as BMW X5.

I don't know, what do you guys recommend? My main objective is to keep the car for 10+ years but I really want the x5. ]I can't afford to change my car every 5 - 6 years.
he or she is not a troll, just a conflicted buyer whose heart wants one thing while common sense says otherwise. I can point to bimmerfest f15 page where someones complaining about water sloshing around but I'm not, cause it doesn't help the op. Again, go with wat u want, just update the thread in 5 yrs on wat u bought and how was the experience thus far.
aceboy44 (02-21-18)
Old 02-21-18, 12:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm also in the market for a used one of these as soon as I can find one with the right miles and price--they hold their value like crazy, wonder why that is? (sarcasm)

I had never sat in one nor driven one. I just dropped my car off at the Lexus dealer for an oil change and they had a few in the showroom.

The seating position alone sold me. I like trucks, REAL trucks.
The following 2 users liked this post by AJT123:
GB2011GX (02-22-18), User21c (02-21-18)
Old 02-21-18, 01:01 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
he or she is not a troll, just a conflicted buyer whose heart wants one thing while common sense says otherwise. I can point to bimmerfest f15 page where someones complaining about water sloshing around but I'm not, cause it doesn't help the op. Again, go with wat u want, just update the thread in 5 yrs on wat u bought and how was the experience thus far.
This doesnt sound like a conflicted buyer. Blown tires and bent wheels alone will cost the buyer a fortune on said poor road conditions. The buyer visited dealers prior to creating this thread, only to conclude the GX is not for him/her after posting and visiting the dealer again? Then kept raving how"superior" the X5 is? What changed from the first visit to the dealer and after posting here? Is it just weird all over.
The following 2 users liked this post by situman:
GB2011GX (02-22-18), User21c (02-21-18)
Old 02-22-18, 01:10 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Like everyone here says, choose X5 for the looks, technologies and handling. But be mindful of reliability issues. My previous ride is the 2012 X5 diesel. It's so fun to drive. Such a blast to throw the car into a corner. Everything is designed to focus on you the driver. All the latest techs at your fingertip although they come as options if you can swallow the price lol. My favorite feature is the comfort seats that can be adjusted million ways and so comfy. Mine was ordered with 360 camera option so i'm pretty sure you can get that too with your 2018 model. It's not really fair to stack the GX against X5 since both are totally different animal.
aceboy44 (02-22-18)
Old 02-22-18, 01:15 PM
BAPrado
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This!

Originally Posted by situman
@aceboy, why do i get the nagging feeling you are here to just bash the gx and lexus? My troll-dar is ringing off the hooks. For someone that can't afford to change cars every 5-6 years, you sure picked a very expensive option to purchase and maintain. Lastly, you live in a place with poor road conditions, yet somehow you determined the x5 will be more durable than any of the bof vehicles on said poor road conditions. Your decisions contradict everything you say you want, need or can't afford. Is the bmw forums getting boring that you need to come over here?

thank you.
Old 03-01-20, 05:55 AM
ATCRich
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the new ride!! She's a beauty!

Quick Reply: Thinking of purchasing a GX