GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Thinking of purchasing a GX

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 05:14 AM
aceboy44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of purchasing a GX

I have been driving sedans all my life, but recently I want to change to a SUV due to the poor conditions of the roads where I live. I visited numerous dealers and came with 3 options:

1) BMW X5: I like the car. It has very nice features such as the huge touch screen (which is very useful for navigation,) Panoramic sunroof (a disadvantage for me since I hate panoramic sunroofs,) and 3 years of complimentary BMW concierge service and free built-in Wi-Fi (I get weather updates, traffic updates, etc.) I also appreciate the Hydraulic trunk overall metal quality of the car in case I come across a collision. Now what I hate about the car is maintenance cost (it is insanely expensive to maintain the car,) there is no 360-degree camera (only back camera,) warranty (does not cover battery,) and I'm not sure about reliability of the car.

2) Cadillac Esclade: I like that this is the biggest SUV in the market where you can see the road in front of you and makes you feel like you are the king of the road. I like its powerful V8 engine and the features that come with it such as natural wood, and 360 degree camera. What I'm afraid of is reliability (I don't read many positives reviews about american cars.)

3) Lexus GX460: I find the interior to be a bit dull due to the lack of wood trim, and the V8 is under-powered (less than 300HP) but when I asked the dealer about the annual service fees it suited my budget well. I also want a very reliable car that would last with me for years. I'm reluctant as I may not enjoy this car as much as BMW X5.

I don't know, what do you guys recommend? My main objective is to keep the car for 10+ years but I really want the x5. I can't afford to change my car every 5 - 6 years.
Old 02-18-18, 06:42 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Based on your selection and concerns, here is my take on this:

If reliability is your number one concern, Lexus beats all of them! As for my own experiences: I owned X5 before, but only kept for two years and had enough of issues and decided to cut the lose and move one. In little over two years for a brand new 2004 X5 4.4i, I had trouble ranging from break cylinder failure, engine missed fires, air suspension problems, and list goes on and on. Almost visited dealer at weekly basis. Never been a big fan of GM products and I couldn't comment on it at all. In contrast, I had 2004 GX470 with trouble free for 12 years and replaced with current 2014 GX460. As far as your concerns about engine power, unless you planning to take the GX to race track on daily bases, the performance of GX is pretty much in par with similar SUV in this class. In fact, Lexus 4.6 V8, the one used in Lexus LS (with slightly different configuration), has been rated as one of the smoothest engine in the class.
Old 02-18-18, 07:36 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

If you want all of the features to still function 10 years from now, go with the GX460.
Old 02-18-18, 07:53 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I will echo the other responses. The Lexus will be far superior regarding reliability, but the BMW will be more fun to drive. The Cadillac will have incredible features and comfort, but has almost always been rated very poorly in reliability. My wife complains about the power/performance of her GX (a 2015 model) but I don't see it. It might "seem" slower, but just "dig in a little deeper" and it certainly moves along nicely. We had a 2010 MB GL550 before the GX and my wife misses it. What she doesn't miss is the crazy maintenance cost associated with its ownership.

What about leasing the X5 for two years? You will get to experience the ownership of a BMW (which won't be bad, just not as good as Lexus) without having to make a longterm commitment. Or purchase a pre-owned (1-2 years), low mileage GX. If after a couple of years you are not satisfied, sell it. They seem to retain their value very well so you shouldn't take a financial loss.
Old 02-18-18, 10:12 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

A Pedal Commander might help that perception of acceleration for the wife

https://www.pedalcommander.com/

Isn't that the truth on resale... try it out and if not satisfied just a small use fee :-)

Originally Posted by DallasDave
My wife complains about the power/performance of her GX (a 2015 model) but I don't see it. It might "seem" slower, but just "dig in a little deeper" and it certainly moves along nicely. You will get to experience the ownership of a BMW (which won't be bad, just not as good as Lexus) without having to make a longterm commitment. Or purchase a pre-owned (1-2 years), low mileage GX. If after a couple of years you are not satisfied, sell it. They seem to retain their value very well so you shouldn't take a financial loss.
Old 02-18-18, 10:40 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
A Pedal Commander might help that perception of acceleration for the wife

https://www.pedalcommander.com/
Neat idea. I actually looked at the Apex i throttle controller, as they have a plug and play harness for our cars. In the end, I just decided to live with it... that slightly delayed pedal response.
Old 02-18-18, 11:15 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by aceboy44
3) Lexus GX460: I find the interior to be a bit dull due to the lack of wood trim, and the V8 is under-powered (less than 300HP) but when I asked the dealer about the annual service fees it suited my budget well. I also want a very reliable car that would last with me for years. I'm reluctant as I may not enjoy this car as much as BMW X5.

I don't know, what do you guys recommend? My main objective is to keep the car for 10+ years but I really want the x5. I can't afford to change my car every 5 - 6 years.
Lack of wood trim? I think it has enough but I haven't compared this. The GX will not be as fun to drive as the X5 but you will not be taking those miserable drives to the service department.

10+ year car....GX it is
Old 02-18-18, 12:05 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
Neat idea. I actually looked at the Apex i throttle controller, as they have a plug and play harness for our cars. In the end, I just decided to live with it... that slightly delayed pedal response.
I looked at the pedal command too but decided that it may make my wife more prone to car sick. It’s good if you’re a lone driver.

Regarding the OP’s complains about not enough wood trim, some argued that the GX has TOO MUCH wood trim. I would
love to see a dark trim instead of wood, similar to the previous gen sport version.

Old 02-18-18, 03:05 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Personally, I think the GX has too much PLASTIC, not wood...
Old 02-18-18, 06:13 PM
BlueOnyx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Aceboy44. I had exact dilemma. The X5 definitely is more responsive with a variety of available engines. I went as far as test driving then renting one a week to get to know the vehicle. I was in a similar situation as you looking for a 10+ year solution. The X5 that appealed to me would require many options ranging in the $1k to $3k range. It was at that moment I came to the conclusion that knowing that there would likely be reliability issues with X5 and that the options that I chose if broken I would wish to have repaired, the lifetime costs of this vehicle would likely be high. Costs aside, the time required to bring the vehicle in and pickup it would annoy me to no end.

This is my second Lexus. I had switched to the Lexus brand since I wanted reliable ride. I read all the comments on this forum about people having the same conundrum about the various SUV models. In the end, I feel I made the correct decision. I have a 2017 GX with 16,000 km and I really enjoy driving it. I would be first to say the competitors have newer options available such as multipoint bluetooth, Android/Apple Auto, night vision, headup display etc but in the end are we not in the drivers seat to drive?

I guess my opinion is you can't go wrong with the GX.
Old 02-18-18, 06:23 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

On some of the tech front there will always be retrofits. Look at this one for the 470.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10116560

https://www.ebay.com/i/112732390153?chn=ps
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
FastTags (03-14-20), Nickk6 (02-19-18)
Old 02-18-18, 07:40 PM
aceboy44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the informative & detailed responses. I appreciate the effort you put in your feedback.

My heart was going for X5, but reading that reliability is not that great and that maintenance would be high my mind is leaning towards the GX.

Now regarding the dull interior, one comment mentioned that there is too much plastic (or non-colored wood trim) on the GX and that's exactly how I feel. I don't want to pay a high price for a car that I will not enjoy driving so are there other SUV's that are good in reliability with fabulous interiors or am I stuck with the GX? I wanted to go for the LX but it's out of budget for me.

EDIT:
Nevermind I found a solution for my car. Is this option good? http://www.wooddash.com/category/LEXUS_Dash_Kits_GX470

Last edited by aceboy44; 02-18-18 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 10:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

X5 will be a living nightmare. Escalade will be generally reliable; the meat and bones of the GM trucks are excellent (it's the little stuff that will go wrong).

GX may be the most boring of the three but it will be by far the most reliable and last 20 years.

I'm in the market for one, myself, once I find one with the right price and miles.
Old 02-19-18, 05:08 AM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The GM platform has a few significant issues. Many people report cabin pressure problems, booming noises, and ride issues with the Denali package. Look it up, you’ll find it on Sierras, Tahoe’s, Yukon’s, etc.

Im sure the X5 will feel tight and nimble but that’ll wear our. The low profile tires are a joke and so the ride will also be somewhat harsh. I also don’t like how BMWs age inside and out. I would prefer an MB instead. Can you swing a G wagon?

Last edited by TheHighLow; 02-19-18 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-19-18, 06:55 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Aceboy, I'd be pleased to be "stuck with a GX" over the unreliable and quickly depreciating value of the other SUVs you mentioned, extremely happy with my GX (coming from a Jeep Grande Cherokee Limited pkg) and yes, if you need more wood, then I'm sorry that you do not have enough wood.

Quick Reply: Thinking of purchasing a GX