Dynamic radar cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 01:00 PM
rotaiva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamic radar cruise control

Hi,
I wonder if those of you have Radar cruise control can share your experience on the use of this feature.
I'd like to know especially on stop-and-go condition, ie. traffic jam. Is it very smooth stop and go? When stopped, do you need to push button to start the car when cleared in front of you?
Thanks!
Old 02-12-18, 01:34 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I think it is like first gen radar cruise like my Infiniti and only works above 20MPH.
Old 02-12-18, 01:47 PM
rotaiva
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I think it is like first gen radar cruise like my Infiniti and only works above 20MPH.
Oh really... So no stop and go control then?
Old 02-12-18, 01:49 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

No...unfortunately not. I think it leverages some amount of anti-collision braking but I don't it will bring vehicle to a full stop. A current owner may need to chime in on this. On my Infiniti the system will simply cancel if traffic goes below about 20MPH. I assume this system does the same.
Old 02-12-18, 01:54 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

In regards to the Dynamic Cruise

When traveling at speeds above 30 mph, this available system uses radar and camera technology to help you maintain a preset speed and following distance from the vehicle ahead. If you get closer than the preset distance, the throttle is automatically reduced and the brakes may be applied. As soon as the road ahead clears, your Lexus returns to its preset speed.

In regards to the PRE-COLLISION SYSTEM* WITH DRIVER ATTENTION MONITOR*

, (before LSS+)

To help prepare for and avoid potential front collisions, the available Pre-Collision System includes a Driver Attention Monitor that is designed to warn you if you're facing away from the road when an obstacle is detected ahead. Should it determine a frontal collision is likely, it's designed to automatically prepare Brake Assist* for increased braking response and can even automatically begin braking under certain conditions.
Old 02-12-18, 02:06 PM
rotaiva
Driver School Candidate

I see.... I was debating whether I want to get driver's assistance package or not... If the cruise control does not help driving in heavy traffic, I may not get this option...
Old 02-12-18, 02:44 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by rotaiva
I see.... I was debating whether I want to get driver's assistance package or not... If the cruise control does not help driving in heavy traffic, I may not get this option...
What you are after is the DRCC on the models (basically anything not a GX) which is

Old 02-12-18, 02:44 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

No "stop and go" or "traffic following" capabilities on Lexus Radar Cruise Control.
Old 02-12-18, 02:49 PM
rotaiva
Driver School Candidate

Guess the next gen GX460 will be equipped with everything Lexus offers currently...
Old 02-13-18, 04:12 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I find the Dynamic Cruise Control to be worthless, I have had it on my last 2 GX's and no change between them on this feature. There are 3 settings for how much distance you want between you and the car in front of you. On the closest setting you are still way too far from the car (about 5-6 car lengths) so everyone pulls in front of you causing the system to slow you down to increase the distance even more. I only get that option for the other safety features that come with it, crawl control, and the surround camera's.
Old 02-14-18, 11:57 AM
Surfishing
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It works okay but it drops the hammer way too much to try and get back up to speed.

For example you've got it set to 75.. you're cruising along, someone merged in front of you, the GX will slow down to 71. Then they merge into another lane, the GX will put the medal to the metal to get you back up to 75. I know it's probably for safety but it's just really jarring.
Old 02-14-18, 02:33 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Are you driving in S mode on the transmission? I notice using standard cruise that it is far smoother in trying to maintain speed in standard Drive than in S. In S it will often drop two gears and accelerate like you describe

Originally Posted by Surfishing
It works okay but it drops the hammer way too much to try and get back up to speed.

For example you've got it set to 75.. you're cruising along, someone merged in front of you, the GX will slow down to 71. Then they merge into another lane, the GX will put the medal to the metal to get you back up to 75. I know it's probably for safety but it's just really jarring.
Old 02-15-18, 06:08 AM
Surfishing
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Are you driving in S mode on the transmission? I notice using standard cruise that it is far smoother in trying to maintain speed in standard Drive than in S. In S it will often drop two gears and accelerate like you describe
Nope, just regular driving mode.
Old 03-19-18, 01:44 PM
rotaiva
Driver School Candidate

So can you disable adaptive cruise control and use the normal cruise control? I'm getting Driver Assistance Package which includes adaptive cruise control and would like the option to disable it.
Old 03-19-18, 05:01 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

So can you disable adaptive cruise control and use the normal cruise control? I'm getting Driver Assistance Package which includes adaptive cruise control and would like the option to disable it.

Quick Reply: Dynamic radar cruise control