GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Gx 460 vs tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-18, 10:09 PM
mrb5520
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gx 460 vs tahoe

Hi all cross shopping the gx460 vs Tahoe/Yukon. It seems the Tahoe gets better mpg same comfort more amenities but something draws me in to the gx. Any input or comparison from people who have owned both? Looking at 2015/16
Old 01-30-18, 01:02 AM
dannysf
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in the market for a GX. The reliability is probably reason number 1 over the Tahoe. My cousin has one, brand new '16 and it's already been in the shop a few time for little things like sensors and whatnot. The tahoe is larger outside and more difficult to maneuver but inside doesn't feel that much more roomy, especially the third row. The materials in the Tahoe is just alot cheaper feeling. Everything feels more plasticky, the leather feels hard and cheap. The Lexus feels more premium and upscale inside.
Old 01-30-18, 05:25 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

While it is not Chevy, but one of my friends have recently bought a Dodge truck, one of the higher end ones. While he was driving the truck from one moment to another he lost all power on the steering system and it had to be towed back to the dealer. Then it happened 3 more times, the exact same thing. It is some sort of electronic failure, known and documented, yet they were not able to fix it 4 times.

To me, this is a life threatening issue and I don't think I would ever trust a truck like this if this happened to me!

My point is, do some research before you buy something for potential design issues, don't just look at the truck from the outside and inside! To my knowledge, the GX does not have any major design issue, not sure about the Tahoe. All my tools are metric so I mostly stick with European and Japanese models (which are 80-90% US manufactured in a lot of cases, the GX is 100% import though).
Old 01-30-18, 06:02 AM
01Snake
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dannysf summed it up pretty nicely. While I've had my GX460 for less than a week, I can tell you without a doubt, my old 100K+ mile 08' GX470 drove a thousand times better than my girlfriends 16' Tahoe with all the bells and whistles. The Tahoe feels like you're driving a damn school bus. No idea on the reliability of it as it only has about 25K miles on it. My old GX (like all my other Toyota/Lexus vehicles) was trouble free.

Don't get me wrong though, the Tahoe is definitely a nice vehicle but there is no way in hell I'd entertain the thought of choosing one over a GX. To each their own I guess.
Old 01-30-18, 01:28 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

My friend has a 2016 Tahoe and I have 2016 Base GX460. He has about 50k and I have about 30k on mine. He's had no problems and actually has made fun of my GX for its poor braking abilities. The Tahoe definitely has better road manners and is going to be a more stable vehicle. The GX with air suspension will be much better riding than the Tahoe though, but braking will still lack. Good thing to consider if you plan to tow. The only reason I wouldn't consider getting a Tahoe or any American made car for that matter is the service, it sucks. If buying used and out of warranty, that's a different story.
Old 01-30-18, 09:12 PM
JohnJerk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2016 GX luxury and a 2016 loaded Tahoe. Gx has 17k and Tahoe 22k. Both have been great. My wife hates the GX - too small and too slow. I like them both. I expect the GX to go away for an LX. The Tahoe has RSE and captains chairs and that works much better than the GX for our family of six. Tahoe tows better, feels faster, does not need premium, and has better gas mileage all around. Air suspension in both is great for tow leveling. GX lights are better but the auto bright on the Tahoe is a nice feature. Leather in the Tahoe is wearing way faster. I don’t expect a huge difference in reliability but the Tahoe has more stuff that can go wrong, that’s for sure. Tahoe was purchased at a huge discount, GX was not.
Old 01-31-18, 03:39 AM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

That GM platform has a lot of issues with roof noises, window booming noises and steering issues that I stayed clear of buying a Yukon. It’s a widespread issue that’s even mentioned on CR or R&D or one me those car mags. No thank you. I’m not a gambler so I went with the GX. The ride is super smooth and much better then a GMC Acadia we just sold for a Q7 (which has such a nice power curve btw).

also American cars age so badly on the inside and that’s due to the poor material quality. I’m sure we’ll hear differently from those who drive domestics but I my experience has been differrent. Many new cars are nice off the lot (Kia, Hyundai) biut are built to be leased, which is the current culture.

Last edited by TheHighLow; 01-31-18 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-31-18, 04:52 AM
Octavious
Driver School Candidate

I would say look at the fit and finish on the Tahoe compared to the GX. We have a 2016 Tahoe at work, and it already has interior rattles and creaks and overall just feels cheap. I'm not sure of the size difference between the GX and Tahoe, but the Tahoe feels MUCH bigger to drive. When looking out the rear view mirror the back glass on the Tahoe looks miles away.

I also agree that the wind noise in the Tahoe seems to be more noticeable than the GX. Heck we have the 16 Tahoe and a 14 Durango at work, and I like the Durango better because it is quieter.
Old 01-31-18, 07:37 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

A friend of mine has a '16 Tahoe. Whatever the top of the line trim level it is. While having an "initial" decent rating from consumers, he regrets it now. After a year things started rattling, coming loose, and literally falling off. YMMV
Old 01-31-18, 08:23 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Car Complaints dot com (create a free account)
Select Tahoe and look at the nature of the complaints by OWNERS of their vehicles, and common repairs. This will show ALL years to compare.
Then you can select the single year you are most interested in to see the exact type of complaints.

Select Lex GX and do the same.

(You can also compare 1 year to another... say 2015 to 2016)

Daughter has Tahoe LS and loves it. ('08 owned initially by GM Cert Service shop Owner and was very well maintained. She's about to turn 200K on it)
Wife has the GX and I love it more than the crapwagon Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited she had before! (Engine blew at 160K mi on that! Thank you FCA for selling it with Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.)

I'd go with the GX. Good luck.

Last edited by GB2011GX; 01-31-18 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-31-18, 09:29 AM
JohnJerk
Driver

The Tahoe should really be cross shopped against the LX rather than the GX, then the value of the Tahoe shows itself. The GX is significantly smaller. Explorer or Durango are the domestic equivalent to the GX. Domestics are cheaper with more amenities and technology and better fuel economy with the downsides likely being lower reliability and resale.
Old 01-31-18, 05:48 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I went to GX
The following users liked this post:
GB2011GX (02-01-18)
Old 01-31-18, 06:11 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I must have reliability and prefer it in a luxury model so that is why I am here.

Last edited by tecman; 01-31-18 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-02-18, 04:35 AM
paui4m
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Add in the ability to get me in and out of the woods, and couldn't agree more with this....

Originally Posted by tecman
I must have reliability and prefer it in a luxury model so that is why I am here.
Old 02-02-18, 02:40 PM
mrb5520
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all I appreciate all the info. I really do love the GX! My hard point to wrap my head around is people saying they average 15 miles to the gallon. It’s hard to justify for two people but there’s something about the GX that no matter what I look at I come back to it

Quick Reply: Gx 460 vs tahoe