GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

90k mile service advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-18, 01:48 PM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 90k mile service advice

My wife's GX460 is due for the 90k service. I've got a few options and looking for advice since I'm not very experienced doing maintenance myself. Most expensive option is to take it to my local independent lexus service guy who charges less than dealerships but I totally trust to do the service right and find any issues during the inspection. The next option would be to take it to a good friend of mine who owns a shop but mostly focuses on wheels and tires. I frequently take it to him for oil change and tire rotation because he gives me a good deal but haven't asked him to do more involved services.

So for those of you mechanically inclined, is this service one that I need to be sure to have an experienced mechanic who knows Lexus inside and out perform?

Below is what Lexus recommends for this service. Appreciate any feedback!

❑ Replace engine oil with 0W-20 oil; replace oil filter
❑ Lubricate drive shaft, re-torque nuts and bolts
❑ Replace cabin air filter
❑ Replace brake fluid
❑ Replace engine air filter
❑ Replace Smart Key battery
❑ Reset maintenance reminder light
❑ Rotate tires
❑ Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
❑ Check installation of driver’s floor mat
❑ Road-test vehicle
❑ Inspect the following: __Active height control system (if equipped) __Axle shaft boots __Ball joints and dust covers __Body __Brake lines and hoses __Brake rotor thickness and runout __Drive belt __Engine coolant (see page 70) __Exhaust pipes and mountings __Front differential oil __Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses __Fuel tank cap gasket __Rack-and-pinion assembly __Rear differential oil __Steering linkage and boots __Transfer case oil __Transmission for signs of leakage __Wiper blades
Old 01-26-18, 01:57 PM
2008GS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=dstewart;10094524]My wife's GX460 is due for the 90k service. I've got a few options and looking for advice since I'm not very experienced doing maintenance myself. Most expensive option is to take it to my local independent lexus service guy who charges less than dealerships but I totally trust to do the service right and find any issues during the inspection. The next option would be to take it to a good friend of mine who owns a shop but mostly focuses on wheels and tires. I frequently take it to him for oil change and tire rotation because he gives me a good deal but haven't asked him to do more involved services.

So for those of you mechanically inclined, is this service one that I need to be sure to have an experienced mechanic who knows Lexus inside and out perform?

I would recommend searching this FORUM for a qualified tech in your area that works on these cars as a side business, outside of the dealer.
You will save a lot of money and still have a qualified tech doing the work. Just my opinion...
The following users liked this post:
NeaC1 (06-09-19)
Old 01-26-18, 02:14 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by dstewart
My wife's GX460 is due for the 90k service. I've got a few options and looking for advice since I'm not very experienced doing maintenance myself. Most expensive option is to take it to my local independent lexus service guy who charges less than dealerships but I totally trust to do the service right and find any issues during the inspection. The next option would be to take it to a good friend of mine who owns a shop but mostly focuses on wheels and tires. I frequently take it to him for oil change and tire rotation because he gives me a good deal but haven't asked him to do more involved services.

❑ Replace brake fluid
❑ Rotate tires
❑ Road-test vehicle
❑ Inspect the following: __Active height control system (if equipped) __Axle shaft boots __Ball joints and dust covers __Body __Brake lines and hoses __Brake rotor thickness and runout __Drive belt __Engine coolant (see page 70) __Exhaust pipes and mountings __Front differential oil __Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses __Fuel tank cap gasket __Rack-and-pinion assembly __Rear differential oil __Steering linkage and boots __Transfer case oil __Transmission for signs of leakage __Wiper blades
The ONLY item that you should bring to the Lexus dealer (or Toyota) is "Replace brake fluid". Everything else you CAN do it or your buddy shop can do it easily. I advise you to buy Engine and cabin air filters online(eBay) to save tons of money.
NeaC1 (06-09-19)
Old 01-26-18, 02:30 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

A few including myself have found the Lexus dealers are not lubing the zerk fitting throughout the driveline.

A few links to refer to your buddy.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...lide-yoke.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...id-change.html
Old 01-27-18, 05:32 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

That's pretty straight forward car stuff. Fairly similar to most vehicles. I pretty much cover all that at every oil change I do myself on all my cars. The exception would be the brake fluid, as stated. That I only do every few years, but I live in a dry climate. The little differences are easy for a fair mechanic to tackle. That said, it ALL needs to be done. Getting someone you trust to not cut corners is the ticket. If you have a friend that does some of that,(like you said). Then why not ask him if you can assist, your willing to pay for the extra time and effort for him to show you what he is doing. Use your list as a check list of to do items. (I like checklists!!!!!!!!!!!). Back to the brake fluid. It has ABS, bleeding the ABS brake module on most cars takes a special scan tool that can actuate the individual servos. Some are very proprietary. And a proper fluid change, also includes the ABS module. MANY shops will not have the proper tools for that.
GB2011GX (01-31-18)
Old 01-27-18, 06:51 PM
2008GS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
The ONLY item that you should bring to the Lexus dealer (or Toyota) is "Replace brake fluid". Everything else you CAN do it or your buddy shop can do it easily. I advise you to buy Engine and cabin air filters online(eBay) to save tons of money.
If you plan to keep the car for a long time (200k miles) trans fluid drain and fill would be smart maintenance.
Old 01-30-18, 04:20 AM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback all!
Old 02-16-18, 01:35 PM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Broomrider's GX just turned 90,000 miles...
Old 02-19-18, 07:15 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

And a rock broke her windshield... I didn't know rocks were 2,000 feet in the air ( ) [ I know, she's gonna crack my skull one day LOL ]
Old 02-19-18, 07:23 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

GB2011GX (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 11:51 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by dstewart

❑ Replace brake fluid
❑ Rotate tires
❑ Road-test vehicle
s

90K service is doable at Your buddy shop if he has techstream.
1) Check your Secondary Air pump to see if it needs the recall.
As upkeep replace all fluids, filters. Inspect all the bolts chassis grease. Everything else do a once over and call it a day. Alot of things on these vehicles are dont fix it till its broke.
Old 02-19-18, 02:42 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I would always keep an eye for leaking water pumps as well. A few here including myself have been bit by that. Pretty easy to spot from the top or bottom as the coolant is pink and you will either seen stains on the bottom skid plate or see what looks like pink cotton candy around the fan.
Old 02-19-18, 06:23 PM
axman07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Could one replace the brake fluid via this method? I know it's titled bleeding but it would make sense you could run it a few times to flush out the old fluid while filling the reservoir with new fluid.
Old 02-20-18, 03:08 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by axman07
Could one replace the brake fluid via this method? I know it's titled bleeding but it would make sense you could run it a few times to flush out the old fluid while filling the reservoir with new fluid.
Most likely.. no idea how many times you would need to repeat the process.
Old 02-20-18, 03:43 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Most likely.. no idea how many times you would need to repeat the process.
And there's always the old fashion way where you ask the wife to pump the brakes like 15 times and hold while you open and close the bleeding valve with a 10mm. And do that for all 4 tires LOL....

Quick Reply: 90k mile service advice