Notices
GX - 2nd Gen (2010-present) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Driver support package add-on???

Old 01-25-18, 07:08 PM
ObsidianBl
Driver

Default Driver support package add-on???

Hear me out..... I was searching online and might have found something interesting. If someone can read Russian, your help would be greatly appreciated. Google translate can only do so much.

There is a Russian Club Lexus forum. It doesn't look like there is much activity but has something of interest. It looks like someone there added features of the driver support package onto his vehicle. The main post was about parking sensors, but I think the individual Dmitry_N may have added the front and side view cameras along with getting crawl control/ multi terrain to work. They mention a Driving support switch control (located above the glovebox) on page 3 of the forum thread. The part number when googled shows as a $200 item here in the US.

Link is below.
Page 1 has a bunch of part numbers for the modifcation
Page 3 and 4 have information that may indicate that he added the Driver support options.
https://club-lexus.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53823

There is another thread advertising a service with the installation of extra cameras and getting parking sensors to work. The OEM cameras are expensive (around $7-800), but aftermarket cameras on aliexpress or taobao are drastically cheaper.
https://club-lexus.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42398

This thread has part numbers for the GX and the 150 Prado.
https://club-lexus.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72929

If (and this is a big if), the driving support switch module is added, does this mean we can have an a la carte choice of adding some additional features?

Note:
Those forum posts are dated around 2010-2012. I think they should apply to all years of the current generation though.

Quick Reference:
Driver support includes the following
Wide-view Front and Side Monitor system,
High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control,
Lane Departure Alert,
Crawl Control
Intelligent High beams
and... the moving lines on the backup camera???
Old 01-26-18, 01:28 PM
coolsaber
Lexus Champion

Lane Departure Alert,
Crawl Control
Intelligent High beams

Without further insight on how they did this, I can say that at most of those features would require a sensor initiation/calibration from a person with the know and hardware. Dont know if this still exists but, 360 camera stitching back a couple years ago required the cameras and body modules to be installed and then manually calibrated to ensure picture quality. Same thing with LDA systems and DRCCs.

If this is possible with say Techstream and some plug and play modules then keep me updated.
Old 01-26-18, 06:38 PM
T4Fun
Lexus Champion

impossible to add DS package.
Its integrated with everything on the suv and it requires knowing toyota codes, which no body can possibly crack.
Also, the Lexus symbol on front is different than all others due to the radar mechanism.
Old 01-26-18, 06:55 PM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

Not impossible...but time and money would be better spent replacing with vehicle optioned with package. It would likely takes years to bring it all together.

Frankly... I am only interested in crawl control piece out of that package and that has a chance of becoming a mod reality from what I have seen.

Last edited by Acrad35751; 01-26-18 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-26-18, 07:01 PM
coolsaber
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T4Fun View Post
impossible to add DS package.
Its integrated with everything on the suv and it requires knowing toyota codes, which no body can possibly crack.
Also, the Lexus symbol on front is different than all others due to the radar mechanism.
Agree with Acrad35751 that its not completely impossible, but alot of effort. For instance camera integration without the 360 stitching is possible I believe at least front view, with a beat sonic adapter.
The Radar Cruise,LDA tougher for sure

Last edited by coolsaber; 01-28-18 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-27-18, 12:35 PM
T4Fun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Acrad35751 View Post
Not impossible...but time and money would be better spent replacing with vehicle optioned with package. It would likely takes years to bring it all together.

Frankly... I am only interested in crawl control piece out of that package and that has a chance of becoming a mod reality from what I have seen.

LOL....u must be smarter than lexus right?

BTW, the camera used above isnt even the actual camera on the DS package - its a knock off.

Do everyone a favor and just wait for next generation GX or whatever is coming. I would hate for some idiot to wreck their SUV and kill me in process because they 'added on' the DS package.
It would never pass state inspection here anyway.
Old 01-27-18, 01:03 PM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

I just want my crawl control... hopefully not too much of danger at 5MPH max speed :-)

BTW, the camera used above isnt even the actual camera on the DS package - its a knock off.

Do everyone a favor and just wait for next generation GX or whatever is coming. I would hate for some idiot to wreck their SUV and kill me in process because they 'added on' the DS package.
Old 01-28-18, 06:27 AM
coolsaber
Lexus Champion

Camera quality is meh, Its not like Lexus is using a 4K sensor thats proprietary to them, they source same 480p sensors found in the knockoffs. Its of course up to DIYer to understand the limits of off the shelf components tho
Old 01-28-18, 06:29 AM
coolsaber
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Acrad35751 View Post
I just want my crawl control... hopefully not too much of danger at 5MPH max speed :-)
Dangerous and risky of course. If your going to, I`d pick up a shop manual or the online TIS to see what and how is need to integrate the modules, and switches
Old 04-15-18, 12:59 AM
trip7capt
Driver School Candidate

I need help! I ordered this unit. The install seemed pretty simple. I plugged in all the connectors I could with the supplied harness. The radio seems to be all that works. The upper original clock and temperature is blank. The AC controls don't work. I reinstalled the original unit and now the display says "check the AC connection" any ideas? the unit is really nice but with no instructions it's kinda a can of worms.
Old 04-15-18, 05:29 AM
hzhao
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by trip7capt View Post
I need help! I ordered this unit. The install seemed pretty simple. I plugged in all the connectors I could with the supplied harness. The radio seems to be all that works. The upper original clock and temperature is blank. The AC controls don't work. I reinstalled the original unit and now the display says "check the AC connection" any ideas? the unit is really nice but with no instructions it's kinda a can of worms.
What unit that you are talking about? If you can be more specific..... There is a tread here specifically talking about adding MTS and Crawl control and many of us have done so with successful results. But nothing has to do with radio and A/C control unit.
Old 04-15-18, 12:30 PM
JiJiJag
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl View Post
Hear me out..... I was searching online and might have found something interesting. If someone can read Russian, your help would be greatly appreciated. Google translate can only do so much.

There is a Russian Club Lexus forum. It doesn't look like there is much activity but has something of interest. It looks like someone there added features of the driver support package onto his vehicle. The main post was about parking sensors, but I think the individual Dmitry_N may have added the front and side view cameras along with getting crawl control/ multi terrain to work. They mention a Driving support switch control (located above the glovebox) on page 3 of the forum thread. The part number when googled shows as a $200 item here in the US.

Link is below.
Page 1 has a bunch of part numbers for the modifcation
Page 3 and 4 have information that may indicate that he added the Driver support options.
https://club-lexus.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53823

There is another thread advertising a service with the installation of extra cameras and getting parking sensors to work. The OEM cameras are expensive (around $7-800), but aftermarket cameras on aliexpress or taobao are drastically cheaper.
https://club-lexus.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42398

This thread has part numbers for the GX and the 150 Prado.
https://club-lexus.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72929

If (and this is a big if), the driving support switch module is added, does this mean we can have an a la carte choice of adding some additional features?

Note:
Those forum posts are dated around 2010-2012. I think they should apply to all years of the current generation though.

Quick Reference:
Lane Departure Alert,
Crawl Control
Intelligent High beams
Also the Mark Levinson is part of the DS option
Old 04-15-18, 01:11 PM
hzhao
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JiJiJag View Post

Also the Mark Levinson is part of the DS option
No. It's not correct. Driver Support requires Luxury trim (for 2014+), and ML is part of Luxury trim. Driver Support package for US consists of: Crawl Control, Radar cruise with PCS and Driver Monitoring, LDA, Auto high beam, Park Assist Guideline (Dynamic moving guideline on reverse camera), Front wide view and right side view cameras.
Old 04-16-18, 04:49 PM
JiJiJag
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2016 Luxury and the ML was not included automatically. However, it is a part of the Driver comfort package.

http://www.lexus.com/documents/brochures/2016/Lexus-GX-Brochure.pdf
Old 04-16-18, 04:51 PM
JiJiJag
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2016 Luxury and the ML was not included automatically. However, it is a part of the Driver comfort package.

http://www.lexus.com/documents/brochures/2016/Lexus-GX-Brochure.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to JiJiJag For This Useful Post:
bbqsoup (04-16-18)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver support package add-on???

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: