GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Overlanding bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 10:59 AM
Rock712
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody do this yet? Looking for feed back!!!
Old 02-23-15, 08:14 PM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never completed this project as my search for a GX460 took a detour when I came across a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser with 32,000 miles that I couldn't pass up.

That being said, Outback Proven closed shopped within the last two months and I hear Kaymar is looking for a new distributor in the states. I'm not aware of anyone installing this rear bumper on a GX before they closed. Hopefully it's not too long before they find a new distributor.

I'll always be fond of the GX. Right now, the wife drives the Land Cruiser and I still drive my FJ. With my FJ getting up there in mileage, I'll start looking at a GX again to replace it in a couple of years.
Old 03-02-15, 07:10 PM
Seanathin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rock712
Anybody do this yet? Looking for feed back!!!
My Kaymar bar should be in Miami any day now. Nobody in America that I could find carries the brand anymore so I puchased direct from Kaymar. I am currently getting beat up by a customers broker (fees seem outrageous to me but maybe that's normal) but I will post some pictures when it arrives at my house.

Bottom line, unless you know a customers broker that will cut you a break, you may be better off waiting for some other company stateside to pick up the brand.

I actually came to check this thread to see if FrigginFGO had ordered one and see if he did better than me on customs, but looks like no dice

Last edited by Seanathin; 03-02-15 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Mentioned FrigginFGO
Old 03-03-15, 08:12 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

If the prado and Lexus GX460 have the same frame mounts it should work. The only difference I see is cutting up the OEM bumper differently than the Prado.
Old 03-05-15, 02:18 PM
Rock712
Driver School Candidate

I've been looking for a winch mount and rear bumper and for the cost of modifying the GX I could buy a decent 100 series.... where all the parts are made to fit it....

I'll probably get larger tires and a RTT, maybe a winch for the trailer hitch.
Old 03-11-15, 01:18 PM
acas1229
Driver School Candidate

Default GX460 ARB Bumper Install

Check out Mule Expedition Outfitters's Facebook page. They are wrapping up a GX460 offroad build which has included an ARB front bumper, ARB Skids, and rock sliders. They are out of WA and seem to do a lot of great work. I am looking forward to their write-up about the build shortly. Depending on how it goes, this will be route I take when the time comes.

- 2010 GX460
Austin, TX
Old 07-20-15, 08:24 AM
NMBruce
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Seanathin
My Kaymar bar should be in Miami any day now. Nobody in America that I could find carries the brand anymore so I puchased direct from Kaymar. I am currently getting beat up by a customers broker (fees seem outrageous to me but maybe that's normal) but I will post some pictures when it arrives at my house.

Bottom line, unless you know a customers broker that will cut you a break, you may be better off waiting for some other company stateside to pick up the brand.

I actually came to check this thread to see if FrigginFGO had ordered one and see if he did better than me on customs, but looks like no dice
New here, thinking of getting a GX, so I would like to know if this came through and how does it look?
Old 07-21-15, 05:16 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

There's a guy on IH8MUD.com that installed one of these on his silver GX. Look in the 150 Series section on that site for pictures and reviews. It looks stellar.
The following users liked this post:
DJlv716 (09-01-21)
Old 07-21-15, 07:57 AM
NMBruce
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacket
There's a guy on IH8MUD.com that installed one of these on his silver GX. Look in the 150 Series section on that site for pictures and reviews. It looks stellar.
Thanks, yes it does look great
Old 12-11-15, 08:14 AM
hrod79
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

For anyone interested I have been looking for a similar idea as well. I found some pictures of a GX that Mule expedition outfitters had done up in Washington state. They had CBI do a bumper for this build which to me looks identical to the one they offer for 5th gen 4runners. This makes me wonder if besides slight trimming all full bumper replacement for 4runner will work on GX460. Only question for me would be swing out of rear door.Name:  Screenshot_2015-12-11-10-07-12.png
Views: 3735
Size:  219.3 KBName:  Screenshot_2015-09-27-04-58-04.png
Views: 3395
Size:  463.2 KB

Last edited by hrod79; 12-11-15 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 12-18-15, 04:56 AM
jeepstang
Driver School Candidate

1. Looks like the spare tire would really limit rear visibility.

2. How 'bout that car wash in the 6/19/14 post earlier in this thread?
Old 01-30-16, 12:08 PM
MULE
Driver School Candidate

Here is the Prado bumper we mounted on the GX460 for a customer.
Old 01-31-16, 05:58 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice
Old 02-24-16, 04:23 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by acas1229
Check out Mule Expedition Outfitters's Facebook page. They are wrapping up a GX460 offroad build which has included an ARB front bumper, ARB Skids, and rock sliders. They are out of WA and seem to do a lot of great work. I am looking forward to their write-up about the build shortly. Depending on how it goes, this will be route I take when the time comes.

- 2010 GX460
Austin, TX
Aces: Thanks for the recommendation. I am in the mountains of Colorado, so my GX gets a lot of serious off-road action - and it does very well. However, I'd like to improve my ground clearance and a few other things underneath. My biggest challenge is the fact that I have air bags on my GX and no one wants to touch it with the air bags (ride control). I'll contact Mule Expedition Outfitters. Thank you. By the way, here is their website: http://www.dasmule.com/
Old 08-22-17, 09:42 AM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Opinions on an ARB Bumper on 14+ GX

I have been scouring prado point, ih8mud, and gxor for a few weeks now trying to decide on whether I should put an ARB sahara bar on the GX (has the holes for park assist, fog lights, and turns). I reasonably believe its possible (even though i have not seen it done yet with my own eyes) and I reached out to Main Line Overland for a quote. I purchased this truck with the intention of doing some light off roading and I feel like the front bumper is the achilles heel in all of this. At this point, I dont want to lift the truck just yet or alter suspension dynamics since I'm under bumper to bumper warranty. Maybe a set of 265/65/18 at most.

I feel like upgrading to this bumper will really unlock some potential in this truck that the stock bumper hinders. Just eyeballing it, i think it could match or best the approach angle of 28 degrees of the stock bumper 10-13 model (approach for 14+ is 21 degrees.)

Does anyone think this is a waste or have a better alternative? I am all for hearing opinions or disagreements, please.

Overlanding bumpers-dsc9552.jpg

If anyone wants some help selling their spouse on the idea, I used this video for mine since she works very late and deer are suicidal around here.
The following users liked this post:
DJlv716 (09-01-21)

Quick Reply: Overlanding bumpers