Car Manufacturers Sued Over Rodents Eating Soy-Insulated Wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 07:51 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts
Default Car Manufacturers Sued Over Rodents Eating Soy-Insulated Wires

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/18/0...nsulated-wires

An anonymous reader writes about "a little-known problem plaguing many newer vehicles from the likes of Honda, Toyota, and Kia."The car makers used soy-insulated wiring to cut costs and "Go Green", but owners in rural areas are finding the local wildlife finds the wiring irresistible; thousands of dollars in damage has been done by rats and other critters eating wiring harnesses. Hackaday is asking their community to brainstorm solutions to this unique problem, as owners of affected vehicles have had to resort to sprinkling their driveway with coyote urine and putting rat traps on the wheels.
Hackaday reports that "It isn't just one or two cases either, it's enough of a problem that some car manufacturers are getting hit with class-action lawsuits." Back in 2010 Slashdot reported that rabbits had already discovered the joys of eating soy-insulated wires, and were turning the parking lot at the Denver International Airport into their own personal buffet.

There's even a web site called HowToPreventRatsFromEatingCarWires.com, which reports that Honda has already manufactured a special wire-wrapping tape that's infused with the active ingredient from chili peppers.

=====================================
I notice there is a class action posted here:

"Toyota Motor Corporation is facing a class action lawsuit that alleges vermin are attracted to the “organic-based sheathing” used in the wiring of certain Lexus automobiles.

Plaintiffs Melinda Espineli and Mohammad Moghaddam file this class action lawsuit on behalf of themselves and all owners or lessees of any Lexus 2007-2017 RX, GX, ES, and LS models.

They allege that Toyota failed to inform them, and all those who purchased or leased these Lexus vehicles, that the electrical wiring is composed of or insulated with “biodegradable soy-based materials,” and as such, these materials are attracting vermin and rodents that chew through them.

The plaintiffs claim that “Lexus knew or should have known that the use of an organic- based sheathing on vehicle wiring components attracts vermin that cause significant damage to consumers’ vehicles.”

Where to mount this in the engine bay?

Last edited by Acrad; 01-20-18 at 07:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cicio (01-22-18)
Old 01-20-18, 09:48 AM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

And the drive belts being made of licorice doesn’t help!!!
Old 01-22-18, 10:48 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Didn't Cheech and Chong drive a biodegradable vehicle in "Up In Smoke" ?
Old 01-22-18, 11:58 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I remember Volvo in like the 1980's made their wiring harnesses biodegradable in an effort of "go green" and it was a disaster. No telling how many cars had to be scrapped over it as rewiring a car can be more than the vehicle is worth.

Wiring is such a crucial part of a vehicle and how it operates, it's downright stupid (and dangerous) to try and use anything except what has been established to work and can stand the test of time.
Old 01-22-18, 01:13 PM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can visualize people using the old Toyota's to catch and kill vermin.
Old 01-22-18, 05:30 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Last edited by tecman; 01-22-18 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 05:36 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ence-here.html
Old 01-28-19, 04:34 PM
mmenghani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 months into my new 2019 RX 450h, the wires got chewed. Got hit with 1300 in damages, not to mention the poor customer service from lexus dealerships. Filed a complaint with TSA too at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ . Planning to trade it in since Lexus dealerships won't guarantee that the rodents won't chew up the wires again. Of all the cars including my BMW and others in the neighborhood, this was the only one affected.
Old 01-29-19, 07:28 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

mmenghani, sorry this happened to you. Most people have their vehicles secured in environments free of rodents and pests. Do you leave your loaf of bread outside? Why not? Just saying. Rodents chew wires. Period. I fail to see why this is someone else's problem other than yours to secure your vehicle.
Old 01-29-19, 11:44 AM
mmenghani
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GB2011GX
mmenghani, sorry this happened to you. Most people have their vehicles secured in environments free of rodents and pests. Do you leave your loaf of bread outside? Why not? Just saying. Rodents chew wires. Period. I fail to see why this is someone else's problem other than yours to secure your vehicle.
Looks like you agree that the 50K worth lexus is like a loaf of bread.
Old 01-29-19, 01:15 PM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

LOL! funny Touche' - you are welcome to beat the rats to it.
Old 01-30-19, 11:41 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I completely agree. Every time I park my Lexus somewhere other than my hermetically sealed, climate controlled, HEPA filtered garage, I wrap it completely in several layers of bubble wrap sealed with duct tape. It's a bit tricky to get the bubble wrap between the tires and pavement, but with practice it's not difficult. I couldn't bear the thought of something happening that would be my fault, like a door ding or a scratch. Or bird poop.

The following 2 users liked this post by LFIL:
KJ6IRM (01-30-19), venomixia (03-05-19)
Old 01-30-19, 12:23 PM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Love it LFIL! Try towing a connex box with ramps around and each time you park, you run it up the ramps and park on top! Leave the wrap at home. (Just trying to inject a little humor. Why so serious? LOL )
Old 02-01-19, 08:01 AM
mmenghani
Driver School Candidate

Love it LFIL! Try towing a connex box with ramps around and each time you park, you run it up the ramps and park on top! Leave the wrap at home. (Just trying to inject a little humor. Why so serious? LOL )
It is so funny that the damage estimate has come out at $6013, I am ROFLOL right now. 20 dollars of rodent deterrent tape or a rodent repellent ultrasonic device would have done the trick for Lexus. But if one does not acknowledge the problem, one cannot find a solution.
Old 02-04-19, 04:54 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mmenghani
It is so funny that the damage estimate has come out at $6013, I am ROFLOL right now. 20 dollars of rodent deterrent tape or a rodent repellent ultrasonic device would have done the trick for Lexus. But if one does not acknowledge the problem, one cannot find a solution.
I agree. I would be pissed too if because of going green Lexus knowingly changed the wiring sheath to a product(soy) that is know to attract vermin. I park in my driveway outside, I think I’ll spray some mint(Rodent Sheriff)or like some have posted use dryer sheets to keep them out.