GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

''windshield de-icer'' ... what is that? And other options.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 07:06 PM
Sns1938
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ''windshield de-icer'' ... what is that? And other options.

(Cross shopping new 4Runner Limited vs approx $35k GX460s)

I was a little surprised at the lack of features on the base GX, but perhaps that's because so many base GX's have the Premium package? Anyways, I read about the higher models (I think Luxury) having a windshield deicer. Is that just the heated strips under the glass where the wipers sit that stops the wipers getting frozen to the glass? If that's the case, is the wiring there so that you can just fit the better windscreen with heaters in it if you ever replace the front glass?

Is there a good guide somewhere that helps explain how to spot the options on a car, or a VIN decoder? What are the telltale signs of a specific level (that you can spot from an online listing with photos)? Perforated leather seats = luxury? 3 zone AC = luxury? The wheels are different, but someone could easily have switched wheels.

Thanks,
Old 01-04-18, 07:31 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Sns1938
(Cross shopping new 4Runner Limited vs approx $35k GX460s)

I was a little surprised at the lack of features on the base GX, but perhaps that's because so many base GX's have the Premium package? Anyways, I read about the higher models (I think Luxury) having a windshield deicer. Is that just the heated strips under the glass where the wipers sit that stops the wipers getting frozen to the glass? If that's the case, is the wiring there so that you can just fit the better windscreen with heaters in it if you ever replace the front glass?

Is there a good guide somewhere that helps explain how to spot the options on a car, or a VIN decoder? What are the telltale signs of a specific level (that you can spot from an online listing with photos)? Perforated leather seats = luxury? 3 zone AC = luxury? The wheels are different, but someone could easily have switched wheels.

Thanks,
If you look the center console, there are 4 stacked switches next to gear shift. For luxury model, the top two will be high adjust (low, normal, high) and suspension setting (comfort, normal sports). Non-luxury model, these two will be blank. Very easy to identify.
Old 01-04-18, 08:13 PM
Sns1938
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, that's a good way to check.

This one, has the headlight washer and the perforated leather. So luxury for sure?

Old 01-05-18, 07:44 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Yes. That looks like Luxury.
Old 01-05-18, 10:09 AM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

yes, that's a luxury trim. The dead giveaway is the 4 switches next to the shifter. Other trim has only 2 switches, luxury has 2 additional switches that control the suspension setting. The headlight washer can be optioned with premium trim also, so that's not a good way to tell.
Old 01-05-18, 12:59 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,560 Likes on 2,330 Posts

A fully loaded Luxury with Driver Support Package will have even one more button on console (Crawl instead of DAC) as well as the front camera under grille emblem and a camera on the right side mirror.

Also additional buttons on the steering wheel as well as the Driver Attention Monitor on top of column

Old 01-05-18, 02:19 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Quick but silly external feature on the Luxury Level is the "reveal molding" which is
the chrome stripe below the windows. If it stops at the back of the fixed glass rear
quarter window without extending up the back edge...it is not a Luxury trim truck.
If it does continue up (imagine a hockey stick shape) then it is the Luxury so it will
have the heated steering wheel and adjustable suspension (the extra buttons Hzhao
mentioned). Various other Lux features are available (and common) on non-Lux GX's
such as the rear A/C and BSM monitors.
Old 01-05-18, 02:21 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

On the '10-'13s many added that chrome strip. On those models the headlight washers are really the telltale sign of a Premium/Luxury model. Only two trims in those years (Base & Premium).
Old 01-05-18, 02:39 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
On the '10-'13s many added that chrome strip. On those models the headlight washers are really the telltale sign of a Premium/Luxury model. Only two trims in those years (Base & Premium).
First I have heard of this. I did read a post here waaaay back that some one looked into it and it was costly.
Old 01-05-18, 02:46 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I've noticed it quite a few times now on used '10-'13s I've seen in ads online. Perhaps dealerships have done it.

They advertise as Premium and I see strips but interior pics tell otherwise. Or they are posting generic interior shots.

I'll post one up here next time I see one.

EDIT: Always a chance that the few that I have seen either had been in some collisions or experienced some broken glass through vandalism too. Possibly replacement with the Premium/Luxury windows was done since part at MyLparts with premium trim piece costs the same $340.66.

2012 Example - Premium & Base
https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...***-6271060d10
https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...***-6271060d30

Last edited by Acrad; 01-06-18 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-05-18, 07:35 PM
Sns1938
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the help.

I'm down to a few options now, with one option being to not buy now. Will have to see how things play out.

2014 Luxury with 35k for $37k
2018 4Runner Limited with 3rd row for $45k
2017 0miles Premium for $50,500

I do like the luxury.
Old 01-06-18, 03:10 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

That's '14 is a good buy. Vehicle history looks like it spent it's whole life in CA as well. Basic warranty expired in November but you would still have powertrain through 11/2019.
Old 01-06-18, 12:22 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Is this vehicle primarily for on-road? Any towing?

Originally Posted by Sns1938
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the help.

I'm down to a few options now, with one option being to not buy now. Will have to see how things play out.

2014 Luxury with 35k for $37k
2018 4Runner Limited with 3rd row for $45k
2017 0miles Premium for $50,500

I do like the luxury.
Old 01-06-18, 07:32 PM
Sns1938
Driver School Candidate

Is this vehicle primarily for on-road? Any towing?
In all honesty, it's on-road mostly. A Highlander would be more ''sensible'', but I feel a 4Runner/GX would last longer (they seem to wear in, and as they get older, they evolve into camping vehicles etc ...). I'm living up in the mountains by Salt Lake City, so we get snow here, and I want something that'll be safe and dependable in the conditions. I've got two young kids (4mo and 3yr) and lab-cross. We want to head out camping etc, and the Outback is just tight with everyone and gear.

I originally was looking at $13-18k GX470's, and just found the sub 120,000 mile ones wouldn't respond to emails etc, and I couldn't organize buying one. The higher 140,000+ ones had more parts replaced in their Carfax's than I expected (control arms and other steering components etc).

I ended up back looking at 4Runners, which seem massively overpriced used, so you end up looking new. The SR5 doesn't have heated seats, so you're at an SR5 Premium with fancy vinyl seats for $40k ... so why not go $45k for Limited at get leather and features? ... so now I'm at $45k, why not go $35k for used GX460 ... but then the dealer offers $50,500 for a new premium ...

I don't buy cars often. In fact, I've only ever owned one car that I didn't drive into the ground and sell for under $1k (and that car I sold for $9k, was only sold because I was moving overseas). Whatever I buy, I'll have until it's completely uneconomic to maintain (so 4Runner and GX ... that could be 15+ years ... heck, this could be my last gasoline car!!).

I really appreciate a good deal and value ... which is where it's tough. The 14 would be a hands down winner if the local Utah dealer wasn't offering a premium for $50,500. At $37k, in less time it'd have depreciated enough that I'd be comfortable with modifying it. I've told myself over the years, that you don't have to jump at deals/sales, as there'll always be another ...

Oh, and yes, I over-research and over-analyize everything ... I'm an Engineer

Right now too, the 14 dealer is saying ''if you buy the car from us and it leaves the lot on it's own wheels, we have to charge you CA sales tax''. So if I have to pay that and then again the next day in Utah, it's a non-starter. I can't believe that's the case, but I just can't find the answer online (I can go to the Utah DMV to ask next Friday). If I buy and put on an auto carrier, then no CA sales tax, but not sure what that'll cost.

Anyways, thats where I'm at

Thank you all for your help.
Old 01-06-18, 07:33 PM
Sns1938
Driver School Candidate

That's '14 is a good buy. Vehicle history looks like it spent it's whole life in CA as well. Basic warranty expired in November but you would still have powertrain through 11/2019.
Yeah, the 600 miles between where I am and the dealer, is a nice barrier to hold me back from making a rushed decision.

I'm only interested in used from CA.

Quick Reply: ''windshield de-icer'' ... what is that? And other options.