GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Gauging Interest: GX460 Forced Induction

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-17, 12:31 PM
blutopless
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I've owned and raced both turbo's and supercharged cars. I love turbo's for the ability to economize if I want to by keeping my foot out of the throttle. Superchargers are great for off idle torque, something that a turbo doesn't normally have.
My concern would be the compression ratio of 10.2:1. Boosting that high of compression is pushing the rotating components. Dropping the CR would require replacing pistons, possibly the connecting rods too. Being these weigh over 5000 lbs, torque is a good thing. If I wanted more speed, transplanting the 5.7 into this chassis would be a huge increase in horse power and torque. Keeping the solid axle and off-road capabilities.

As far as Hellcats being slow, I can post you a video of a tuned Hellcat, with injectors, headers and E85 that runs 8.68 in the 1/4 with full size front tires and slicks.

Last edited by blutopless; 11-21-17 at 12:34 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-21-17, 03:33 PM
JMan604
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blutopless
I've owned and raced both turbo's and supercharged cars. I love turbo's for the ability to economize if I want to by keeping my foot out of the throttle. Superchargers are great for off idle torque, something that a turbo doesn't normally have.
My concern would be the compression ratio of 10.2:1. Boosting that high of compression is pushing the rotating components. Dropping the CR would require replacing pistons, possibly the connecting rods too. Being these weigh over 5000 lbs, torque is a good thing. If I wanted more speed, transplanting the 5.7 into this chassis would be a huge increase in horse power and torque. Keeping the solid axle and off-road capabilities.

As far as Hellcats being slow, I can post you a video of a tuned Hellcat, with injectors, headers and E85 that runs 8.68 in the 1/4 with full size front tires and slicks.
low boost and a good tune shouldn't be an issue with 10.2:1 compression pistons. I've ran 8 lbs on my 10.6:1 motor without any issues.

Hellcats are very fast on the 1/4 mile. I think OP meant a racing circuit, not just a straight line track.
Old 11-22-17, 06:03 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by blutopless

Yeah, who cares about 1/4 mile. If your goal in life is to be fast in a quarter mile, buy an electric car

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 11-23-17, 06:44 PM
S2k4
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
the gX cannot handle this upgrade in power - specifically the tranny and brake systems.
otherwise, nice idea.
Its not the same as rcf gsf and lc500 boss...

Just wait until 2019. Forced induction is already on its way to ALL suvs in lexus lineup

Agreed on the concerns for the tranny and brakes, suspension too, btw.

Please don't tell me they will have forced induction for the GX and/or LX. A diesel version would be great, however.
Old 11-24-17, 10:00 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I wouldn't bother with a turbo or s/c for my GX460 neither and I'm a fan of the rr-racing products and customer service The main reason is that this SUV is so tall and heavy to do any "fun" driving, the other reason is warranty. We bought ours brand new 3 years ago and it currently has 25k miles..I would not want to give up the remaining balance of the 7year/70k mile power train.

Keep up the great work tho, I have your full power package for my IS-F and your s/c kit is still on my list of possible mods.
The following users liked this post:
RRRacing (11-24-17)
Old 11-24-17, 12:22 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Ok, I give up, GX folks on CL dont want power I guess

Personally, I absolutely love my GX470, but it is way to slow. It is definitely durable enough to take another 100hp easy, and for brakes and suspension, they are fine too, the GX is actually quite capable if you know how to drive. I was actually thinking of designing a street truck sort of upgraded suspension and brake kit, as there is a lot of room for improvement, since most of us don't do any sort of heavy duty off-roading with it anyway.

Maybe we'll still do a low cost GX single turbo and some of you will change your minds!

Rafi

Swiftyfit (08-13-19)
Old 12-03-17, 02:12 PM
Nyclife
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go for a plug and play ecu tune (if possible). Not the supercharger thought, I'm about to lease one.
darkoozy (03-17-20)
Old 12-03-17, 02:24 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyclife
I'd go for a plug and play ecu tune (if possible). Not the supercharger thought, I'm about to lease one.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ance-chip.html
Old 12-05-17, 10:46 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nyclife
Actually, that's not a problem, already tuned the gx470. If anyone is local and is interested in getting their GX460 tuned locally on our AWD dyno please let me know.

Rafi

Old 12-05-17, 08:24 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Actually, that's not a problem, already tuned the gx470. If anyone is local and is interested in getting their GX460 tuned locally on our AWD dyno please let me know.

Rafi
I'd be interested in the tune if it was available via the OBD port if I could use the same MYGenius device i have for my IS-F.
Old 10-27-19, 02:34 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,560 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Harrop announces TVS1900 for the 1UR-FE 200 Series

400HP/410 ft-lbs
Old 10-28-19, 06:29 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

as i said, i doubt the tranny and 4wd will handle this power increase, but please someone should be the first guiney pig to try it here
Old 10-28-19, 09:23 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

as i said, i doubt the tranny and 4wd will handle this power increase, but please someone should be the first guiney pig to try it here
Maybe a simple Voltrex based system would be better. I dont need 400hp anything really, but I would like a linear increase and just another 50hp or so is perfectly fine.
Old 10-28-19, 12:25 PM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Just wondering why would you doubt that? For transmission, It should be fine as it is only 100hp increase for a transmission with torque converter but what would it break on 4wd system for the power increase?
Old 10-28-19, 12:31 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

As others pointed it would depend how the power comes in throughout the power band. If it's a S/C it would be more linear.

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest: GX460 Forced Induction