GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

New Project 2017 GX460

Old 11-13-17, 12:52 PM
blazers420
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickk6
Awesome shots at oceana dunes. Did you make it up that hill?
Thank you...

The hill climb was at Hungry Valley. Its the Pronghill climb. Yes, I made it up. Tried it without locker the first time and didn't make it up, plus I took a bad line.

Backed up, lockers on and up she went with ease.
Old 11-13-17, 12:53 PM
blazers420
Rookie

Awesome shots at oceana dunes. Did you make it up that hill?
How you like the Metal Tech sliders? I'm going to order them soon. Its currently on back order.

Was the install pretty simple?
Old 11-13-17, 04:49 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by blazers420
How you like the Metal Tech sliders? I'm going to order them soon. Its currently on back order.

Was the install pretty simple?
I like the looks of them, haven't had to use them yet to give a real world opinion.

My only problem with them is they are each held on with 6 bolts that are not too big. I was kind of hoping I could use them as a lift point if I ever had to do a flat change on the trail, but not sure I'd trust the hardware for holding the vehicle up.

Did you install any lockers on your front or rear diffs? Where in CA are you?
Old 11-13-17, 05:19 PM
blazers420
Rookie

I like the looks of them, haven't had to use them yet to give a real world opinion.

My only problem with them is they are each held on with 6 bolts that are not too big. I was kind of hoping I could use them as a lift point if I ever had to do a flat change on the trail, but not sure I'd trust the hardware for holding the vehicle up.

Did you install any lockers on your front or rear diffs? Where in CA are you?
I'm in OC/ LA area.

My understanding is that the sliders are a direct bolt on from factory? Wouldnt you have to redrill if you want larger bolts? I'm going to look more into this before pulling the trigger. Did you install it yourself?

My locker is factory.
Old 11-14-17, 08:59 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm in OC/ LA area.

My understanding is that the sliders are a direct bolt on from factory? Wouldnt you have to redrill if you want larger bolts? I'm going to look more into this before pulling the trigger. Did you install it yourself?

My locker is factory.
Love your rig. We need more pics....

How do you get the locker from factory? Or you meant the Center Diff locked?

Last edited by GoHuskers; 11-14-17 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-14-17, 10:09 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm in OC/ LA area.

My locker is factory.
Lets wheel sometime, I usually go out at least once a month!

The sliders use holes that are already on the frame, so yes you are correct, I would have to drill and tap the holes to the size I wanted if I was willing to do that. I did install them myself, had help on 1 side and did the other side by myself. It is a ***** doing it alone, so make sure you have help. I think it took about 3 or 4 hours and that included cutting my oem steps and looking for the tools.
Old 11-15-17, 05:39 AM
texasnoiz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dune pics look awesome!!
Old 01-30-18, 04:02 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I will be ordering Metal Tech sliders in the next few days. Suspension - Icon Stage 3. Wheels are Icon rebound 17x8.5 0 offset. Tires are Coopers ST-MAXX 275/70/17. Ride just a tad bumpier but Truck doesn't feels as wobbly from Stock.
OP,
Do the wheels poke out past the fenders? can you please post pics showing how they fit?
Thanks!
Old 02-07-18, 11:30 AM
blazers420
Rookie

Originally Posted by msgs350

OP,
Do the wheels poke out past the fenders? can you please post pics showing how they fit?
Thanks!
I do have a slight poke. Maybe half and inch to an inch. But you can hardly tell with the lift. Dont have any pics on my right now.
Old 02-11-18, 05:43 AM
dgi
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see more people modding the facelifted trucks! I cant wait to have a chance to dig into my wife's truck once it falls into my grubby mitts LOL
Old 02-22-18, 11:06 AM
BAPrado
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates?
Old 03-11-18, 12:19 PM
RRrider
Driver School Candidate

Alright! this looks really good! I also love the picture in the dunes. Good to hear the differential lock worked.

Are you considering the MetalTech bumpers? rear are available now, and front are under development.

My GX has just arrived...I had to wait for the crawl option which is a factor install option...and I'm now beginning the overlander mod process. Just got wheels and tires. Rear bumper coming in a few weeks. researching sliders and roof racks now...
Old 03-11-18, 12:27 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,557 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by RRrider
I had to wait for the crawl option which is a factor install option..

Not exclusively factory anymore :-) . So you bought a Luxury model? We should know pretty soon if the same module for '14+... I swapped will give you MTS on your Luxury.
The following users liked this post:
RRrider (03-11-18)
Old 03-11-18, 12:33 PM
RRrider
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Not exclusively factory anymore :-) . So you bought a Luxury model? We should know pretty soon if the same module for '14+... I swapped will give you MTS on your Luxury.
MTS - multi-terrain-select?
yes I got the luxury model with the driver assist package that includes the crawl mode. but it didn't come with MTS - for some reason, that isn't available in the US.

Man, I don't get why they took a fantastic overlander in the prado and did what they did to the US version of the GX. Oh well, it is still an excellent platform to build an killer overlander upon!

Having MTS would be cool!!! I was bummed when I figured out that none of those pages in the manual applied to my US version GX!
Old 03-11-18, 12:57 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by RRrider
MTS - multi-terrain-select?
yes I got the luxury model with the driver assist package that includes the crawl mode. but it didn't come with MTS - for some reason, that isn't available in the US.

Man, I don't get why they took a fantastic overlander in the prado and did what they did to the US version of the GX. Oh well, it is still an excellent platform to build an killer overlander upon!

Having MTS would be cool!!! I was bummed when I figured out that none of those pages in the manual applied to my US version GX!
Lots of to do with US regulation and manufactory liabilities., we, in the great land of freedom, ended up missing many cool stuffs and options. Way too many ambulance chasing lawyers on this plant!!! With that said, just as Acrad mentioned, we have the option to adding MTS function with fractional costs and its a nearly plug and play mod to do. Nevertheless, enjoy your new rider!
The following users liked this post:
RRrider (03-11-18)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Project 2017 GX460