Key Fob - Problems & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 05:30 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by User21c
Update:
Almost 2 months, and the battery (knock on wood) is still working well.
It appears that storing the Fob on top (essentially) of the DirecTV Genie box may have kept the fob in ‘active’ mode...

Fingers still crossed, but this is almost 2 months, and I don’t think my batteries have made it near this long in the past.
you're lucky it is Genie, not Jennie otherwise you'll get into trouble with the significant other because Genie sucked all your juice.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoHuskers:
GB2011GX (02-09-18), User21c (02-09-18)
Old 02-08-18, 05:37 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
you're lucky it is Genie, not Jennie otherwise you'll get into trouble with the significant other because Genie sucked all your juice.
ROFLMAO just snorted hot coffee out of my nose.. thanks..
The following users liked this post:
GB2011GX (02-09-18)
Old 03-24-18, 06:18 AM
sharlow06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob issues - 2013 GX 460

My key fob stopped working out of nowhere. Will not lock or unlock when pressed or when grabbing the door handle. “Key not detected” error on dash. Can still use for the push to start but have to Fob to the button. Then press brake and hold button like normal. Replaced battery a few times and it would work, but for less than a day before going back to the same problem. Now new battery doesn’t even fix it temperarily. Any ideas on what’s going on or what to do??

Last edited by sharlow06; 03-25-18 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-24-18, 06:26 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by sharlow06
My key fob stopped working out of nowhere. Will not lock or unlock when pressed or when grabbing the door handle. “Key not detected” error on dash. Can still use for the push to start but have to Fob to the button. Then press brake and hold button like normal. Replaced battery a few times and it would work, but for less than a day before going back to the same problem. Now new battery doesn’t even fix it temperarily. Any ideas on what’s going on or what to do??
Sounds like you have a malfunctioned key fob. Time to get it replaced and re-register a new key fob.

BTW, I assumed that you have a typo on the thread tile of "GX 360" instead of GX 460
Old 03-25-18, 08:27 AM
sharlow06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
Sounds like you have a malfunctioned key fob. Time to get it replaced and re-register a new key fob.

BTW, I assumed that you have a typo on the thread tile of "GX 360" instead of GX 460
thank u for the response. Think I will have to get a brand new one? Aren’t they 5-600? I’d really love to figure out how to fix this one if at all possible. Also, let me mention that this problem just started out of nowhere. Fob worked completely fine since I’ve owned the car. Then just stopped.
Old 03-25-18, 09:28 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

thank u for the response. Think I will have to get a brand new one? Aren’t they 5-600? I’d really love to figure out how to fix this one if at all possible. Also, let me mention that this problem just started out of nowhere. Fob worked completely fine since I’ve owned the car. Then just stopped.
Based on your description, if a new battery only last for few days and getting worse until completely stop working regardless the battery replacement, it sounds like the electronic components that became malfunction most likely. Key fob is a highly integrated electronic devices, even you will be figure out which particular component went bad, to find single elements of replacement component is nearly impossible and probably cost you nearly the replacement of entire key fob anyway. The alternative to purchase replacement key fob from dealer, you could shopping from place like eBay. Unless you confident to venture yourself with Techstream, you will have to pay the dealer for register the new key to the vehicle, which will end up about the same cost anyway.
Old 03-25-18, 01:22 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 128 Posts

I meant to respond to this yesterday.

Do you have your secondary key? If so, check and see if you are experiencing the same issues.

If the issue is your key, you’ll most likely need a new one. If you go to eBay you’ll see used ones from $80-90. I don’t recommend getting a used key because you have to reset the cars key memory To use one. You need a “seed code” purchased online to clear the keys from the vehicle.

For a little more, you can get a new gx460 key for $110-120 (no metal key). Brand new and with Lexus 1 year warranty. I recommend going this way.

Questions for you... What region or state are you located and are you comfortable with computers/programs?. I hope you don’t take any offense to the question. If you’re comfortable around computers, I’d recommend you to get Techstream (Toyota/Lexus diagnostic software). You can program your new key yourself and modify some settings for your GX.

If computers aren’t your forte, someone local to you may have Techstream. If you’re in the northeast area, I could help you out program the new key.

Dealership will usually charge you to program the key. It takes less than 5 minutes for a new key.

Take a look at this thread. I added a Lexus credit card key to my vehicle. Programming is the same way. The price is a bit more at $220ish.

Let me know if you have any questions about programming a new key
The following users liked this post:
hzhao (03-25-18)
Old 03-26-18, 11:56 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I would try the spare fob.

If you have no spare fob it's time to buy a second one anyway.
Old 03-27-18, 06:18 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 128 Posts

Were you able to diagnose the issue?

Ebay has a 15% discount coupon going until 11PM EST or 8PM PST. You can get a new key fob (minus the metal key) for $100 right now.
Old 08-11-18, 08:46 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

This video is better... looks like you want to remove cover with Lexus emblem up and then less to put back together.

Old 10-07-18, 12:42 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Saw this in FSM

Old 10-07-18, 12:51 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting, thanks...

As an update, since no longer storing the key fob over the DireTV Genie receiver/DVR, I haven’t changed the battery a single time...

Must be something in the RF spectrum of the box keeping the battery in active mode.
Havea good rest of the weekend.
The following 2 users liked this post by User21c:
Acrad (10-07-18), ltsr (01-15-19)
Old 10-22-18, 01:15 PM
GX4TATI
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Lexus key fob found

Need your advice. I found a Lexus key fob. Where should I drop it off: dealer or police department? Any chance any or them can find the owner? Thank you
Old 10-23-18, 06:15 AM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

no way to determine which vehicle the key belongs to. so no way to tell who the key belongs to if im not mistaken
Old 10-23-18, 07:51 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Expand (hugely) on our dealership technique...put a fresh battery in it and drive around pressing the buttons.

Quick Reply: Key Fob - Problems & Questions