What is your warranty? Negotiable? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

GX - 2nd Gen (2010-present) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

What is your warranty? Negotiable?

Old 10-12-17, 10:56 AM   #1
hockeymom3
Driver School Candidate

Default What is your warranty? Negotiable?

Hi - trying to get all my research in before going in to purchase?!* Curious as to what most people have as their warranty for a 2017 GX? Were you able to negotiate anything more than what was initially offered? Do they try to get more out of you after you negotiate your car sale with additional warranty coverage? I just want to be prepared . . .

Thanks in advance -
hockeymom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 02:53 PM   #2
BradTank
Lexus Test Driver

Depends on the dealership and salesperson whether they will try and make that sales pitch. Mine did not.

At least to my knowledge, you can always buy an extended factory warranty after the sale of the car and from a different Lexus dealer, as long as it's before the expiration of the original factory warranty. So you have time to think about it.

Most people(including me) will probably tell you its not a very good value to buy an extended warranty as very little issues crop up in that time period and most of the money spent is on items that are not covered anyway and are considered wear and tear items like brakes, tires, fluids, filters, etc.
BradTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 06:30 PM   #3
hockeymom3
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradTank View Post
Depends on the dealership and salesperson whether they will try and make that sales pitch. Mine did not.

At least to my knowledge, you can always buy an extended factory warranty after the sale of the car and from a different Lexus dealer, as long as it's before the expiration of the original factory warranty. So you have time to think about it.

Most people(including me) will probably tell you its not a very good value to buy an extended warranty as very little issues crop up in that time period and most of the money spent is on items that are not covered anyway and are considered wear and tear items like brakes, tires, fluids, filters, etc.

Thanks - that's actually really helpful!
hockeymom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 07:29 PM   #4
NewB2Lexus
Rookie

I got the 7 years powertrain warranty for less than half of the offering price. I initially refused and the lady asked me how much I would be willing to pay for it. I told her a number and they accepted .

It looks like in our area it is pretty negotiable.

Edit: Not powertrain only, it is the extended warranty that covers everything up to 7 years 100k miles.

Last edited by NewB2Lexus; 10-13-17 at 05:04 AM.
NewB2Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 07:51 PM   #5
BradTank
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus View Post
I got the 7 years powertrain warranty for less than half of the offering price. I initially refused and the lady asked me how much I would be willing to pay for it. I told her a number and they accepted .

It looks like in our area it is pretty negotiable.

So Lexus comes standard with a 6 year/ 70k mile powertrain warranty.

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...urces/warranty

How much extra did you pay for that additional year of coverage?
BradTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 08:04 PM   #6
ChrisPh
Driver School Candidate

When I purchased my '17 GX 460 last month, the dealer tried to convince me to buy extended warranty up to 7 years for 1/2 what they asked for. They said I only have to pay $1,700 instead of $3,400. However, after I did some research and do the math, I didn't see it worth it with two main reasons:
1. The Lexus comes with a four-year/50,000-mile basic warranty and a six-year/70,000-mile powertrain warranty, whichever occurs first. That means they only cover 12 months extra after manufacture's warranty ended for powertrain.
2. Lexus is one of the top "Most Reliable Car Brands". They can last for many more years after manufacture's warranty ended without majors problems.

That's just my 2-cents
ChrisPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 04:59 AM   #7
NewB2Lexus
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradTank View Post
So Lexus comes standard with a 6 year/ 70k mile powertrain warranty.

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...urces/warranty

How much extra did you pay for that additional year of coverage?
It was not just an extra year, it is whatever Lexus offers beyond the 48 months or 50,000 miles standard (I guess it is not only powertrain, it basically covers everything on the vehicle). I paid less the $1000 but don't remember how much exactly. If it was over a grand I would not have bought it.
NewB2Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-17, 08:42 AM   #8
cruzinZ
Pole Position

The warranty is more of a peace of mind for these vehicles. If you were talking about a Land Rover or some of the German SUV's than my opinion would be the opposite. There are some electronic bits that can be expensive to replace but your going to find that with any modern luxury vehicle. These should be sorted out under the factory warranty. The only thing that will really come up is the rear air suspension. The airbags are made out of rubber and will degrade over time. More than likely this will happen well after the factory warranty has run out. Aftermarket airbags can be purchased for around $300 for the pair. An independent shop can replace them in a couple of hours. When our GX460 rear air suspension starts leaking I'm going to replace the airbags myself as its an easy job and only requires removing a couple of bolts.

Outside of the airbags I haven't seen any real issues or design shortcomings from the GX460 that are noteworthy. All airbags will have this issue as they are like tires. They just need to be replaced every so often as normal maintenance.
cruzinZ is offline   Reply With Quote