GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

razor blade to remove stickers from inside of passenger side rear window

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-17, 01:36 PM
ruby31sar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default razor blade to remove stickers from inside of passenger side rear window

My children put stickers on the inside of the rear sear windows. They don't simply pull off to remove them. Can I use a razor blade or will I damage the window tinting?

Thanks,

MR
Old 09-27-17, 01:54 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 884 Likes on 613 Posts

The window is dyed so no problem. Just don't run the razor over the defrost wire on the glass.

Types of Window Tint

Some vehicle manufacturers have windows that come with a factory tint on the vehicle's windows, though that is generally only done on the rear windows. This “factory tint” is done by dying the glass. There is sometimes a degree to which the top of the front window is tinted to help reflect the sun's glare. This is especially apparent on older vehicles with stock windshields, as the graduated green strip is clearly visible.

As an aftermarket upgrade, window tinting is generally done by applying a film to the interior of the vehicle’s windows. While DIY kits are available, the results can be messy, with air bubbles or crooked placement. Window tinting on a vehicle reduces the Visible Light Transference (VLT), and window tinting is graded on the percentage of light that transfers. The lower the percentage of light transmittance, the darker the tint.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/all-about-window-tinting-and-why-you-should-care
The following users liked this post:
ruby31sar (09-27-17)
Old 09-27-17, 01:56 PM
ruby31sar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks tecman!
Old 09-27-17, 01:58 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Based on my understanding the factory tinted windows have the tinting between the layers:

factory tint is a pigment within the glass that's installed during the manufacturing process. There is no way to remove the tint from the glass.
Use a small amount of baby shampoo in water solution to make sure the blade glides smoothly and scrape on...
Old 09-27-17, 02:20 PM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Goo Gone is the perfect product for this. Might take a bit of effort (let it soak in to speed removal). Every house, especially one with kids, should have a bottle of this around.
Old 09-27-17, 05:47 PM
Avmanager
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have always used wd40 and it works great. It can be used on the dash plastics, paint, windows etc. and it won't damage the surface . It cleans the residue off and doesn't scratch, peel paint, or melt anything
Old 09-30-17, 11:43 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Avmanager
I have always used wd40 and it works great. It can be used on the dash plastics, paint, windows etc. and it won't damage the surface . It cleans the residue off and doesn't scratch, peel paint, or melt anything
Also smells awful and can be greasy, definitely don't spray wd40 in your car. Use some ammonia free window cleaner and scrape away. I've never scratched a windows with a blade and window cleaner, just be generous with it. Can also get 4" scrappers on amazon in case they really go to town. They are cheap and made for removing tint from windows.
Old 10-01-17, 04:23 AM
Avmanager
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried the Ammonia Free glass cleaner to get the stickers off the dash plastic around the AC controls on a Lexus RX350. It didn't work. Took the sticker off, but would never remove the base where it was adhered to the dash and had been left on a long time. So I sprayed a small amount of WD40 on a rag, and rubbed the sticker residue. It came right off. I then sprayed the glass cleaner to remove any oily residue since it wouldn't remove the sticker residue after spraying, letting it soak etc. I was afraid any scraping would scratch the dash if I kept using just the glass cleaner
Old 10-01-17, 10:13 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Avmanager
I tried the Ammonia Free glass cleaner to get the stickers off the dash plastic around the AC controls on a Lexus RX350. It didn't work. Took the sticker off, but would never remove the base where it was adhered to the dash and had been left on a long time. So I sprayed a small amount of WD40 on a rag, and rubbed the sticker residue. It came right off. I then sprayed the glass cleaner to remove any oily residue since it wouldn't remove the sticker residue after spraying, letting it soak etc. I was afraid any scraping would scratch the dash if I kept using just the glass cleaner
lol I wouldn't be scraping my "dash plastic" with anything, then you are stuck with chemicals at that point.