GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2019... the year of the redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 10:21 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

For 2019 there might be a refresh but no new redesign. Prado just got a refresh for 2018 but it's still the same vehicle underneath, was shown in Frankfurt. That MT article said there's a new 4runner coming in 2019 but I doubt it's an all-new vehicle and likely just a reskin of the current gen truck, like the Prado is. Land Cruiser and LX have had two refreshes now on the same generation.

Toyota is moving toward putting everything on its new global architecture, and body-on-frame vehicles will supposedly all move to the same TNGA-F platform. That would presumably include Landcruiser, LX, GX, Prado, 4Runner, Sequoia, Tundra, possibly Tacoma. Doubtful that GX will go unibody unless all of the other BOF vehicles go that way too.

Toyota is desperately overdue for updates so hopefully it'll happen sooner than later.
Old 10-03-17, 05:31 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
For 2019 there might be a refresh but no new redesign. Prado just got a refresh for 2018 but it's still the same vehicle underneath, was shown in Frankfurt. That MT article said there's a new 4runner coming in 2019 but I doubt it's an all-new vehicle and likely just a reskin of the current gen truck, like the Prado is. Land Cruiser and LX have had two refreshes now on the same generation.

Toyota is moving toward putting everything on its new global architecture, and body-on-frame vehicles will supposedly all move to the same TNGA-F platform. That would presumably include Landcruiser, LX, GX, Prado, 4Runner, Sequoia, Tundra, possibly Tacoma. Doubtful that GX will go unibody unless all of the other BOF vehicles go that way too.

Toyota is desperately overdue for updates so hopefully it'll happen sooner than later.

i doubt that this design will extend to BOF vehicles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota...l_Architecture

Last edited by T4Fun; 10-06-17 at 05:12 AM.
Old 10-05-17, 12:53 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by T4Fun
Old 02-10-18, 08:11 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

2019 Tacoma, Tundra and 4Runner the same... so likely GX will soldier on in '19 on current platform.
Old 02-13-18, 03:58 PM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Keep in mind that the current GX (150) is not made for US Lexus buyers, it is made for Toyota Prado buyers. I suspect Toyota laughs at any US Lexus GX buyer who complains about how the rear door opens the wrong way etc. The Prado is made for Australia, Africa, M.E. etc. for real off road capability with a degree of road usability and comfort. (Land Cruiser 70 series is the real deal for rugged off road, military, and commercial use). Toyota will not remake the Prado 150 to appease any Lexus GX buyer's whims. Us whinny, self centered, Lexus buyers who think the world revolves around us should feel lucky that Toyota even allows us to have one of these in the US. I'd feel even luckier if we could get the 3.0 diesel, dual fuel tanks (600 miles range), rear door mounted spare, 17" wheels, manual gearbox, heavy duty vinyl upholstery, etc. (I know I'm not alone here)

I'm probably preaching to the choir and this is all said with a bit of tongue n cheek, though a taste of truth is undeniable.

Let us not complain too loudly, Lexus (Toyota) may give US buyers what they they seek, a lengthened Toyota Highlander with extra chrome and 19" wheels.
Old 02-14-18, 09:43 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4602011
Keep in mind that the current GX (150) is not made for US Lexus buyers, it is made for Toyota Prado buyers. I suspect Toyota laughs at any US Lexus GX buyer who complains about how the rear door opens the wrong way etc. The Prado is made for Australia, Africa, M.E. etc. for real off road capability with a degree of road usability and comfort. (Land Cruiser 70 series is the real deal for rugged off road, military, and commercial use). Toyota will not remake the Prado 150 to appease any Lexus GX buyer's whims. Us whinny, self centered, Lexus buyers who think the world revolves around us should feel lucky that Toyota even allows us to have one of these in the US..
Wow. I'd say spending $60-70K on an automobile gives the buyer the RIGHT to be self-centered.

So they can put the steering wheel and all associated parts on the other side for different world markets but can't put a couple of hinges on the other side of the truck? Please. This is coming from the company that built its own loom to manufacture carbon fiber for the LFA. How about just putting the hinges on the top like the 4Runner for ALL markets?

The Relentless Pursuit of Ignoring Customers
Old 02-15-18, 01:04 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by kgbagent1
Wow. I'd say spending $60-70K on an automobile gives the buyer the RIGHT to be self-centered.

So they can put the steering wheel and all associated parts on the other side for different world markets but can't put a couple of hinges on the other side of the truck? Please. This is coming from the company that built its own loom to manufacture carbon fiber for the LFA. How about just putting the hinges on the top like the 4Runner for ALL markets?

The Relentless Pursuit of Ignoring Customers
They need a place to store the spare tire as these come with dual fuel tanks in some markets (150l ~ 180l total = 39.6 ~ 47.5 US gal). I imagine since the 150 is made more for countries that drive on the left, the door must open in the direction that it does. OTOH, the Jeep Wranglers rear door also opens left-to-right, perhaps there is another reason for it.

The current 4Runner is sold most in (and likely designed for) N.A., the 150 primarily for Japan, S.A., Aus., etc.

http://toyota.jp/landcruiserprado/
http://www.toyota.co.za/ranges/land-...prado#overview
https://www.toyota.com.au/main/prado

Lets be grateful to Toyota for allowing Lexus to sell the 150 in the US. A chance for NA buyers to experience a comfortable capable vehicle that can (and does) fit in tight city streets of Japan as well as navigating tight tricky off road terrain in the outback of Australia. Those of us who have traveled extensively overseas can appreciate and recognize the uniqueness (for the US) of the Prado's design. Think of the new hire at your company, moved from Australia or S.A. and with a foreign accent. Now think of your less eloquent fellow employees making fun of his foreign accent and telling him he should learn American English or go home.

Last edited by GX4602011; 02-15-18 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-22-18, 10:56 AM
BAPrado
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Like this i imagine

Saw the links in the post before but I imagine this is what is coming down the pipeline. Finished product will likely loo a little different for the NA market.

Old 02-23-18, 09:02 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by BAPrado
Saw the links in the post before but I imagine this is what is coming down the pipeline. Finished product will likely loo a little different for the NA market.

This is the refreshed prado. No redesign.

Whether or not GX gets a refresh is another question. It will probably still be minimal but it'll only be another year or so before we finally find out, or find out that we have to wait another year or so to find out.

I would love to buy a Prado here in the states.
Old 02-23-18, 10:16 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

I like the design of the running board on the Prado compares to the one from the GX, more flush-in and doesn't hang too low.
Old 02-23-18, 06:31 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

19, is going to be the same as well since the 4 runner is confirmed to chug along with the same body style as per the TRD Pro reveal.

Keep the prices the same, add the LSS and interior update peeps have been craving and the GX will be competitive again
Old 03-27-18, 02:26 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Old thread - but I want to point out something interesting. MotorTrend states the GS and IS will be both released as MY2020. However, the Lexus IS is typically released after the Lexus GS since the Lexus IS follows the GS in terms of design cues. IE: Lexus released the Lexus GS in 2013 then the Lexus IS in 2014. I think we won't see the 4th gen Lexus IS till MY2021.

Obviously this is just my assumption - no one is 100% sure. But if the Lexus IS is truly coming out as MY2020, we would have at least heard of something by now.
Old 03-27-18, 02:58 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Old thread - but I want to point out something interesting. MotorTrend states the GS and IS will be both released as MY2020. However, the Lexus IS is typically released after the Lexus GS since the Lexus IS follows the GS in terms of design cues. IE: Lexus released the Lexus GS in 2013 then the Lexus IS in 2014. I think we won't see the 4th gen Lexus IS till MY2021.

Obviously this is just my assumption - no one is 100% sure. But if the Lexus IS is truly coming out as MY2020, we would have at least heard of something by now.
.....tangential
Old 03-28-18, 09:08 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

I called my dealer today since I am looking to get into a new SUV and was told that I should wait for the ‘19 redesign of the GX later this year. The general sales manager said he has seen the new ‘19 and it is more like a mini LX and way better than the current GX so I will be waiting patiently now.
Old 03-28-18, 11:11 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I called my dealer today since I am looking to get into a new SUV and was told that I should wait for the ‘19 redesign of the GX later this year. The general sales manager said he has seen the new ‘19 and it is more like a mini LX and way better than the current GX so I will be waiting patiently now.
...Say WHAT?

I read your posts about replacing the GX so if that is the case then I'll wait.

Quick Reply: 2019... the year of the redesign?