GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

OEM Hitch / Tow Package

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-17, 11:42 PM
meitzler
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2017 GX Hitch

I just had a hitch installed on my 2017 Luxury GX. And I have an extra new factory GX hitch. Dealers appear to just install the hitch which actually comes in a Toyota box and does include some extra wiring. And as posted by others, the hitch is way overpriced. My previous 2014 did not come with a hitch but it already had all the wiring including the connector when you look at the back of the vehicle.
Old 09-22-17, 02:49 AM
Avmanager
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Meitzler, Thanks for the Update on the wiring and what was on your 2014 that came without the hitch. That's what I had figured based on what I had seen. As Joindy had mentioned in the previous post, although Toyota has separate Towing Prep packages on many of their other products. Including the Lexus RX350, it appears with the GX460, it has all the other heavy duty items included to really make a towing prep package what it needs to be. Glad they didn't cheap out on that end of it
Old 09-22-17, 08:03 AM
ChrisPh
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

I have Tow Hitch with Ball Mount Package for my '17 GX460, I checked it out and here is the list of Tow Hitch with Ball Mount Package installed in my GX: (Total parts cost: $627 from eBay)

1. Lexus GX460 (2010-2017) OEM Genuine TOW TOWING HITCH RECEIVER PT228-60140
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-GX460-...FWK7yo&vxp=mtr

2. Lexus GX460 GX470 2003-2017 OEM Trailer Hitch Tow Towing BALL MOUNT PT228-89445
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-GX460-...1WBXHs&vxp=mtr

3. Lexus GX460 (2010-2016) OEM TOW TOWING HITCH HARNESS PLUG ADAPTER 82169-0W010
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-GX460-...FWOPRw&vxp=mtr
Old 09-22-17, 09:34 AM
Avmanager
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for the parts lsit back. What I wasn't sure on was if the GX that did not come with the Factory Hitch already on it had the 7 pole RV plug or not. I have had Toyotas In the past that had the wiring and the Plug, but just did not come with the hitch. I guess. So Item # 3 was what I was wondering if it was already on the GX if the hitch wasn't there
Old 09-24-17, 06:07 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Unless 2017 changed from 2014, and I doubt it...

Here you go:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...h-install.html

You shouldn't need part 3 in your list at all, unless they deleted it from 2014 through 2017. IMO the Lexus/Toyota hitch is worth the money vs an aftermarket. Order it from one of the CL Vendors like I did, and won't take long to install at all. You will need a large ratchet and socket, air always makes things quicker. It was not a tough job at all.

Randy B
Old 10-08-17, 08:28 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should also check out lexuspartsnow.com for pricing comparison. I made a purchase the other day on that site. I was unable to find the OEM parts I wanted on amazon. The only shocking thing that came up was the shipping costs. Other than that I'm a very happy customer. If you do not have to have the parts immediately than you can sources the parts at a discount when they become available. Just have to check out ebay, amazon and other online vendors every few days to see if there are any deals.
Old 12-01-17, 03:56 AM
PSaroki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow package

Which Lexus GX360 have a tow package built in? I see this on a few used models but cannot figure out what to look for in my search?
Old 12-01-17, 12:49 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I might need someone to correct me but I think the electrical connector is back there for all of them. If you don't see a hitch that can be added. There is an AT cooler inside the radiator. You could add an additional air based AT cooler for increased capacity if you needed it.
Old 12-02-17, 07:04 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

This is how the factory installed connector looks like:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post9698726
Old 12-02-17, 07:31 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The RX has an option "TO" which includes an oil cooler and raises the tow capacity
from 2000 lbs to 3500 lbs. The bar and ball receiver and wiring are a separate option.
The hitch is incorporated into the rear bumper support and is a pretty elaborate job
to install. Result is a very low profile and nearly invisible mount with only the "2 opening
showing.

The GX460's are all built with the features needed to tow up to 6500 lbs., all that is
needed is the receiver and wiring. Customary hitch hangs below the bumper and
you can choose from Lexus and aftermarket, install could be DYI as it is just bolt-on.
Old 12-17-17, 07:23 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The factory connector (for a towing harness) is already installed on all year/models.
Installing the tow package is quite simple. (You certainly don't need to purchase a Lexus tow package). There are many aftermarket packages that are very nice looking and working.
Old 04-28-18, 03:40 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I got a curt tow hitch in the mail today, wanted to install it but my spare is pushed too close to the rear bumper, so it says in the instructions that i must shift the spare tire a little bit more towards the front of the vehicle that way the tow hitch will fit. It might sound stupid, but how do i do that? Should i remove the spare completely, install the tow hitch and then put the spare back on? Also what would be the proper way to remove a spare, i was not able to do that today ( i know, im embarrassed as well), also is there a different way to do it?
Old 04-28-18, 06:01 PM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Yurka
I got a curt tow hitch in the mail today, wanted to install it but my spare is pushed too close to the rear bumper, so it says in the instructions that i must shift the spare tire a little bit more towards the front of the vehicle that way the tow hitch will fit. It might sound stupid, but how do i do that? Should i remove the spare completely, install the tow hitch and then put the spare back on? Also what would be the proper way to remove a spare, i was not able to do that today ( i know, im embarrassed as well), also is there a different way to do it?
you just need to lower the spare tire like an inch so you can move it out of the way. you can raise it back up once you are done.

here is a set of videos that show you how to lower the spare tire.
The following users liked this post:
Yurka (04-28-18)
Old 05-15-18, 08:12 AM
rgfl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cruzinZ
You should also check out lexuspartsnow.com for pricing comparison. I made a purchase the other day on that site. I was unable to find the OEM parts I wanted on amazon. The only shocking thing that came up was the shipping costs. Other than that I'm a very happy customer. If you do not have to have the parts immediately than you can sources the parts at a discount when they become available. Just have to check out ebay, amazon and other online vendors every few days to see if there are any deals.
Shipping on the hitch was $250, same price as the hitch. No thanks.
Old 07-19-18, 07:12 AM
DaleSzyd
Driver School Candidate

Default New guy, tried search, receiver hitch questions.

Hello
I have 14 that is supposed to have tow package has tow plugs but no hitch. All my searches either come up with the $99.00 4 bolt attachment or the $300.00+ Lexus frame mount. I have found what I want but it is for the 4runner.
Will the 4runner receiver frame mount fit, do I have to remove anything from the vehicle to make it fit or is it bolt and tow?
thanks
My GX is the 14 without air ride.

Quick Reply: OEM Hitch / Tow Package