GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Buying a 2014 GX Certified, but lacking past service records

Old 09-11-17, 02:48 PM
joindy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying a 2014 GX Certified, but lacking past service records

Dealer has nice looking 2014 GX 460 Luxury version, just under 60k miles, and it is certified....offering 2 more yrs of warranty. Looks good, but.....Lexus records only show service thru 30k miles...now over 59k. So....what about 40k and 50k service...oil changes etc. It was leased car....and dealer admits no record of any service after 30k. Can not provide any evidence that could have been serviced at non-Lexus dealer .I would think you would get Lexus...under warranty....serviced at Lexus. Maybe Lexus would not honor warranty if not evidence you did recommended service?

I am concerned, that previous owner.....a leased car...just skipped the last 2 oil changes as would probably not affect him. I told dealer, that I just have to assume with no evidence to contrary, that car was driven 29k miles without oil change.

Dealer says is very strange that no record of service...but they are still offering as certified car and not reducing price. Would you proceed with purchase, or is this warning sign...that car was abused.

Last edited by joindy; 09-11-17 at 03:01 PM. Reason: type
Old 09-11-17, 03:10 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,553 Likes on 2,327 Posts

See if running the the VIN through this site turns up anything about it's history.

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/
Old 09-11-17, 03:22 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 815 Likes on 566 Posts

If one goes to a Jiffy Lube or other shop this would not be on record. 29K miles running synthetic oil with a low mileage Lexus wouldn't bother me much. This is assuming the oil was never changed.
Is it priced well?
I am not sure how a lease service plan works with oil changes. Someone here that leases should have more info for this.
Old 09-11-17, 03:25 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Acrad, how deep does that search go? Never done it.
Old 09-11-17, 03:29 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

I will get my VIN and try it. I too have a leased GX.
Old 09-11-17, 03:40 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

It's more or less a free Carfax from what I gather but it might show some sales data.... I've heard some say it had more data than Carfax and some say less.

It was pretty accurate for mine.

On a side note... I do most of my own maintenance but have been putting up the personal service records on the Lexus site as well. If for some reason I did get rid of rig in future there would at least be history for that future owner about what had been done and when.
Old 09-11-17, 03:48 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Yeah, pretty basic. I think I have seen the same info here or somewhere else. I have used my VIN to search a few times.

Old 09-11-17, 04:32 PM
joindy
Driver School Candidate

Default Certified GX without lacking service history

Thanks for the replies.....let me emphasize, I have asked the dealer to show evidence of service, it should not be up to me...they are selling as certified .....they should show me that it was maintained according to schedule. I would think even with synthetic oil, 30k miles is pushing it. We are not talking about missing one scheduled....but over 2. I have never leased a car....would they require proof of maintenance?

Thanks again...for replies....
Old 09-11-17, 04:44 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

This is what you are looking at? Certified does not mean they have to show the history. They warranty regardless of history.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=181030663
The following users liked this post:
joindy (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 04:44 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

joindy... so just to be clear... are you planning to purchase or lease this CPO? I know they talk about these in-depth inspections but I had an obviously leaking water pump that wasn't noticed. I should have seen it myself but up on a lift it should have been obvious so I have my doubts how close they look. Its low enough mileage on a highly reliable vehicle so Lexus is probably willing to take the risk it wasn't maintained well. It was more than likely just serviced at some quick lube place to avoid the dealership service rates.
joindy (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 05:00 PM
joindy
Driver School Candidate

I am would be paying...$39000....for 2014 with 59+ miles. I want to tow a 3k trailer....not heavy....but want to be assured good motor....with regular oil changes. Again.......VERY STRANGE NO SERVICE RECORDS AFTER 30K MILES. Can ask for better price, but if no oil change for 30k miles....how does that affect price?
You would think with "certified vehicle". they would want evidence met service standards??????
This brings to question.....how good is the 160+/- inspection? Looks like the certifier....would want to see previous service records?
Old 09-11-17, 05:09 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Does it have the Driver Support Package? Radar cruise front/right side cameras are telltale signs. If Lexus ends up paying the warranty bill in the end ...dealer may not worry too much. Just speculation and opinion from me....but certifier may just glance under car...if nothing glaringly bad or obvious leaks it probably gets a quick pass. Surely some look closer and some probably just check off.
joindy (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 05:41 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

joindy: sent you PM since I think I found ad of one you are looking at... don't want to undermine your purchase by posting direct link. If it is that one... does it look like hitch was used much? Look at trailer wiring connector too to see if it looks like it was used. Mine came with a hitch but I could tell electrical connections hadn't been used and after seeing it was owned by some well known female body builder I surmised she use it for a cargo or bike rack of some kind.
joindy (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 05:54 PM
joindy
Driver School Candidate

I think Driver Support Pkg is on later models. I agree, that you could question the real "in depth" mechanical review for certified Lexus used car . Example, why certify a car that did not have evidence of scheduled oil change/? In this case, car with almost 60k has not evidence of 40k an 50k service. Regarding previous owner skipping scheduled oil changes....I would think the engine wear problems of skipping 40k and 50k oil changes could result in not immediate problems, but problems at higher miles, that the second owner [me} would experience. The Lexus inspection, I would assume, does not examine cylinders, piston rings etc than could be damaged by lack of proper oil changes. That is why I am bit cautious in buying a leased car. I have never leased, but if I were to lease, I would perhaps not be as concerned about maintenance.
Bottom line, should I be concerned in paying almost $40k for used car--60k miles.... lacking complete service records.
Old 09-11-17, 06:05 PM
joindy
Driver School Candidate

Default Certified GX without lacking service history

Acrad----thanks for reply...yes.

I did examine hitch.....I was aware of this method of determining prior usage. Both indicate little if any use.
Everything looks good, but just concern about lack of service records.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a 2014 GX Certified, but lacking past service records