GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Buying a 2014 GX Certified, but lacking past service records

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-17, 06:05 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Actually on '10-'13 it was called "Wide-View Front and Side Monitor System/Pre-Collision System (PCS)with Driver Attention Monitor Package (GX 460 Premium)" and then they changed the name in 2014. There are variations on the '10-'13 in brochure but I have yet to spot one on used vehicle.

Here are brochures:

http://www.lexus.com/documents/broch...X-Brochure.pdf
http://www.lexus.com/documents/broch...X-Brochure.pdf

I'm a long haul owner so can relate to your concerns. One would need to do a compression and oil test to confirm engine was healthy. If you plan to own a long time you will probably always be wondering if it is going to be a problem at 125k miles.

The 4.6L seems to be a great motor but really not sure how well it holds up to abusive maintenance either. You really have to do what you are comfortable with.

Often times people lease to get into a vehicle cheaper than purchase price... it wouldn't be unheard of for someone to search out cheap maintenance as well. As long as they held onto those receipts during their ownership they wouldn't be liable if a major failure occurred.
The following users liked this post:
joindy (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 06:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

This might seem kinda creepy but dealer may have not reset the navigation system. It may have the previous owners home address still set. It was like that on mine. Just an option to obtain some historical info on vehicle.

If info was there... even if you didn't reach out to owner you could call around to quick lube places in the city owner lived in. You might hit where they got the oil changed.

Last edited by Acrad; 09-11-17 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joindy (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 08:25 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just because it wasn't serviced at the dealer doesn't mean it wasn't serviced elsewhere. Some people also do their own service. As for purchasing a certified used vehicle.... do not pay more because it's pre certified. I personally dont think very highly of the pre certified vehicles. Mostly because I'm not around when the inspector goes through the checklist. Depending on how much experience and how thorough the inspector is varies from location to location. I personally would opt for an independent PPI over a dealers own employee running through a checklist. Compression test, leak down test and checking over all other mechanicals is what I would be more interested in.
Old 09-11-17, 10:28 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

If this helps my GS350 2015 was a lease return and had no service records at 25k miles. only one service related to bad rear dynamic steer was available in the records. So I'm not so sure how it works even though it was leased and again resold by a local Lexus dealer. Since it was under warranty I bought it anyways. Try to negotiate if your not convinced move on I'm sure you'll be able to find many trucks in that price range.
Old 09-12-17, 07:19 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Most companies who lease vehicles have their own mechanics/shops to do these maintenance...it's much cheaper and more convenient for them. These will NOT be recorded in any publicly-available databases.

Now, it is L/Certified and you have 2 years of Unlimited mileage (this is the same or better than Original new car warranty). If something is bad it will be bad BEFORE that 2 years ends. I say: IF it is checked out fine (drives great, looks great, engine sounds great) then buy it.
Old 09-12-17, 07:53 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

A lot of smaller, gas station style service stations DO report to CarFax for things such as simple services like LOF.
Old 09-12-17, 09:59 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

I went to Toyota dealer for an oil change and it didn't get reported anywhere. The previous owner went to Wheelworks for service and it hag a tag on on the windshield. I'll say if the car looks good, drives straight, and checks out fine, you are ok.
Old 09-12-17, 10:43 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Does it have the Driver Support Package? Radar cruise front/right side cameras are telltale signs. If Lexus ends up paying the warranty bill in the end ...dealer may not worry too much. Just speculation and opinion from me....but certifier may just glance under car...if nothing glaringly bad or obvious leaks it probably gets a quick pass. Surely some look closer and some probably just check off.
When I purchased '15 RX-450h CPO. Dealer provided printed version of extended itemized coverage 2 more years after regular warranty runs out. I did not care much about service history. .Odo. reading was like little over 10K miles.
Old 09-12-17, 03:15 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cruzinZ
Some people also do their own service..
Good point... one of the reasons I added my own self service records to Lexus owners site.
Old 09-13-17, 09:04 AM
joindy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding to my attempt to buy car without service records

Thanks for all replies but found out this morning car was sold. But, it turned out rather strange.

I had appointment Monday--2 days ago... mid morning with the salesman, took the car out for test drive, later sat down and got estimate on my trade....was given a price etc. Good meeting, all my questions addressed, with exception of no service records for 30k miles.
I posted the service issue online to get input from others, and all have been helpful. Based on input I decided if good price...go for it ...as get certified car. I decided Monday night I would call dealer next morning...Tueday...appx 24 hrs after our meeting and see if we could get little more taken off their initial price to compensate for the service situation. Before I call, I checked the dealer site to see if car was still listed, and price....expecting price to be the same. Surprised price had been reduced $500. I would think dealership would call me with the good news, and let me have first option on the new price. But that was not the case. Called...got voice mail of salesman. Left voice mail message waited for call back. I was not aware until got call back early afternoon that he was off Tuesday...but he said would check on status. Meanwhile I had texted the internet rep, who had first contact with, and she said would check on status. She told me within 30 minutes that car had been sold Tuesday morning. When talked with salesman in afternoon....again he as off so ok that I did not get immediate call back-I understand he was at home....not working that day..........he said the dealership reviews all prices on Monday...so they had apparently made decision to reduce the price Monday. This was yesterday...same day I was in dealership. Only hours after they gave me a price, they reduced it buy did not notify me.

I think it would be good practice, to let a customer know, who had been given a firm price, that new, lower price now available....especially if that person had been into dealership that same day! I suggest dealerships have "first right of refusal" policy for customers who had just been given a price...and then online price reduced that same day. Perhaps the buyer had been in contact with the dealership before me....so he was given first right, I don't know. If that was the case.....Then they could have called me as courtesy to explain the situation and tell me they would try to find similar car for me. Also, you don't like to see a lower price online then what you were just

Have not heard from the dealership since the early afternoon call with the salesman on Tuesday. Let me emphasize, I am not faulting the salesman, he was off that day.
Ironic I would have bought the car at the reduced price if I had known. What would really bother me is if the buyer only came in that morning ..Tuesday...and given the new, lower price before I had opportunity.
Old 09-13-17, 09:07 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I'd pass on it in that situation.

If this was an older car and it lacked records, I could easily over look it. After all, I actually do my own oil changes, but it's when the car warranty is long gone.

If its a car still under warranty and a lease to boot, why on Earth would anyone not go to the Lexus dealer to get their oil changed?

What's funny is, I guarantee you if a person had an engine problem and no evidence they had their oil changed, the same Lexus dealership would probably deny the warranty coverage. But a Lexus dealer has absolutely no problem slapping the "Certified" label on the car and charging a huge premium on the same car with no service records.
Old 09-13-17, 09:48 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by joindy
Thanks for all replies but found out this morning car was sold. But, it turned out rather strange.

I had appointment Monday--2 days ago... mid morning with the salesman, took the car out for test drive, later sat down and got estimate on my trade....was given a price etc. Good meeting, all my questions addressed, with exception of no service records for 30k miles.
I posted the service issue online to get input from others, and all have been helpful. Based on input I decided if good price...go for it ...as get certified car. I decided Monday night I would call dealer next morning...Tueday...appx 24 hrs after our meeting and see if we could get little more taken off their initial price to compensate for the service situation. Before I call, I checked the dealer site to see if car was still listed, and price....expecting price to be the same. Surprised price had been reduced $500. I would think dealership would call me with the good news, and let me have first option on the new price. But that was not the case. Called...got voice mail of salesman. Left voice mail message waited for call back. I was not aware until got call back early afternoon that he was off Tuesday...but he said would check on status. Meanwhile I had texted the internet rep, who had first contact with, and she said would check on status. She told me within 30 minutes that car had been sold Tuesday morning. When talked with salesman in afternoon....again he as off so ok that I did not get immediate call back-I understand he was at home....not working that day..........he said the dealership reviews all prices on Monday...so they had apparently made decision to reduce the price Monday. This was yesterday...same day I was in dealership. Only hours after they gave me a price, they reduced it buy did not notify me.

I think it would be good practice, to let a customer know, who had been given a firm price, that new, lower price now available....especially if that person had been into dealership that same day! I suggest dealerships have "first right of refusal" policy for customers who had just been given a price...and then online price reduced that same day. Perhaps the buyer had been in contact with the dealership before me....so he was given first right, I don't know. If that was the case.....Then they could have called me as courtesy to explain the situation and tell me they would try to find similar car for me. Also, you don't like to see a lower price online then what you were just

Have not heard from the dealership since the early afternoon call with the salesman on Tuesday. Let me emphasize, I am not faulting the salesman, he was off that day.
Ironic I would have bought the car at the reduced price if I had known. What would really bother me is if the buyer only came in that morning ..Tuesday...and given the new, lower price before I had opportunity.
Cant really fault the salesmen if he wasnt there. Point here tho is if you dont feel comfortable making the transaction dont. I know it sucks, but if your in it for the long haul you want a vehicle capable of that as well.

Side note: Not faulting anyone just saying it how it is: Just cause the dealer puts a certified logo on the car doesnt mean the vehicle is amazing in some particular way. Your essentially paying for an extended warranty on a used vehicle from a used car dealership from a used car salesmen.
Old 09-13-17, 10:51 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

The dealer usually don't wait and if there's a buyer there willing to buy on the spot, they will sale it. They won't wait to call you and risk the chance of loosing both sales if you decide to back out at last minute. Unless you know the saleman or sale manager personally otherwise first comes first serves and show me the cash takes the cake. It happened to me and other people I know too.
Old 09-13-17, 01:22 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
The dealer usually don't wait and if there's a buyer there willing to buy on the spot, they will sale it. They won't wait to call you and risk the chance of loosing both sales if you decide to back out at last minute. Unless you know the saleman or sale manager personally otherwise first comes first serves and show me the cash takes the cake. It happened to me and other people I know too.
Always fish lost looks bigger Next car will come along soon enough. In the situation like that I'd put down some deposit to hold the car until I make a decision. Usually
when I buy a car new or used(only official CPO) I am ready to buy on the spot. I don't waste time haggling. I present my trade-in, let them appraise it. We go thru the
paper, I make an offer to purchase on the spot now meaning I'll transfer money from my bank account to theirs instantly. If they don't accept offer I just leave. That is
not the only car I have to get.