GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Forum newbie wanting GX460... ISSUES ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-17, 01:52 PM
ad3g
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forum newbie wanting GX460... ISSUES ?

I am currently in the market for a used 2014 GX460.
I've done a lot of reading / research on the GX
I've found ( much to my surprise ) some issues with the GX 460's
I'm not certain if these issues are the rule or the exception:
Secondary air injection. Does this affect all years or did Lexus resolve in later models?
Frame rust....I know this was a problem with Toyota, just curious if it carried over into the Lexus models with frames
Are my concerns valid, or am I looking into this a little to deep?
Are there any other points of reliability I may missed with the GX ?
My second SUV pick would be a MB ML350, only because my wifes' ML has 145K on the clock, and aside from normal stuff...bakes, tires,etc. ,the only repair has been the alternator.
Actually better reliability than I expected, but it's what SHE wanted to buy ( I wanted her to get a RX350 ) but she said a little to small in size
I love the look of the GX soooo much better than the Benz....
Old 09-05-17, 02:21 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Secondary air injection - 2014+ has new design to fix that issue (per dealer claims). Also, Lexus is extending coverage for it up to 10 years/150k miles I believe
Leaning issues - some GX460 leans to the Rear Right.
Pulling to Right - on windy days or uneven roads the GX tends to pull to the Right
Navigation is SLOW on start up, fine after that
The following users liked this post:
ad3g (09-15-17)
Old 09-05-17, 06:16 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Welcome to CL ad3g. I had the secondary air system replaced on my 2011 under the extended warranty. Seems to be the same system with a cover. Here are some links to what GoHuskers mentioned. Navigation is always slow for me but I have the old version.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-to-right.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...not-level.html

Original
New replacement
ad3g (09-15-17)
Old 09-05-17, 11:18 PM
cc4sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've come to realize in shopping for vehicles the last decade or so...that there is no perfect car. It does not exist, so if you're comparing the GX with perfection, you will be able to find flaws. But if you were to compare with comparable cars (or any car for that matter), I seriously don't think you will find something as reliable as a Lexus GX (or basically any Lexus model).

I switched over from a GL350 (Diesel) and I swear I will never buy another Mercedes again. The GX has been everything I hoped it would be (OK, slightly better fuel mileage would be nice) and that's with me buying a CPO that had about 22K miles.
GB2011GX (09-06-17)
Old 09-06-17, 05:18 AM
S2k4
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ad3g
I am currently in the market for a used 2014 GX460.
I've done a lot of reading / research on the GX
I've found ( much to my surprise ) some issues with the GX 460's
I'm not certain if these issues are the rule or the exception:
Secondary air injection. Does this affect all years or did Lexus resolve in later models?
Frame rust....I know this was a problem with Toyota, just curious if it carried over into the Lexus models with frames
Are my concerns valid, or am I looking into this a little to deep?
Are there any other points of reliability I may missed with the GX ?
My second SUV pick would be a MB ML350, only because my wifes' ML has 145K on the clock, and aside from normal stuff...bakes, tires,etc. ,the only repair has been the alternator.
Actually better reliability than I expected, but it's what SHE wanted to buy ( I wanted her to get a RX350 ) but she said a little to small in size
I love the look of the GX soooo much better than the Benz....
Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Secondary air injection - 2014+ has new design to fix that issue (per dealer claims). Also, Lexus is extending coverage for it up to 10 years/150k miles I believe
Leaning issues - some GX460 leans to the Rear Right.
Pulling to Right - on windy days or uneven roads the GX tends to pull to the Right
Navigation is SLOW on start up, fine after that
Originally Posted by cc4sc
I've come to realize in shopping for vehicles the last decade or so...that there is no perfect car. It does not exist, so if you're comparing the GX with perfection, you will be able to find flaws. But if you were to compare with comparable cars (or any car for that matter), I seriously don't think you will find something as reliable as a Lexus GX (or basically any Lexus model).

I switched over from a GL350 (Diesel) and I swear I will never buy another Mercedes again. The GX has been everything I hoped it would be (OK, slightly better fuel mileage would be nice) and that's with me buying a CPO that had about 22K miles.
Newer models have solved the secondary air injection issue, I believe. Same goes for the leaning.

So far 46k trouble free miles. I expect it to go over 500k. Not many vehicles will be able to handle that. I average 19-20 mpg, mostly highway obviously.

It has old tech, IMHO, on the HVAC controls. There ought to be ***** as opposed to a GUI, my biggest gripe (See the LX570). And the remote start model 2016 on is subscription based only, unless you go after market. This is a FAIL on the part of Lexus, IMHO.

Nonetheless, you likely won't find a better choice for the level of comfort, reliability, and durability. I spent practically a whole year looking for a CPO with the advanced drivers package and gave up. Best of luck to you for yours.
Old 09-06-17, 09:24 AM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I've found a lot of issues with lexus/toyota AC evaporators retaining moisture which causes mold. It'll cause a mold smell on startup or when natural air is flowing through the vents. There have been TSBs for it but Toyota only recommends an evap cleaning service (quoted $250 at lexus) since Toyota will do everything in their power to avoid having to replace everyones moldy evap core. I'd definitely check for that if i knew before i bought it because Toyota/Lexus seems to want to ignore and avoid this common issue.

And that non-warranted $250 evap cleaning service is really just this....
https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-96030-Evaporator-Heater-Cleaner/dp/B0007PHD0S/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1504715086&sr=1-1&keywords=ac+refresher+kit https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-96030-Evaporator-Heater-Cleaner/dp/B0007PHD0S/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1504715086&sr=1-1&keywords=ac+refresher+kit

I have not had any other issues otherwise besides outdated nav and the tin roof sound when it rains (for the $ this car should have double sunroofs or panoramic in my opinion.)

Originally Posted by S2k4

And the remote start model 2016 on is subscription based only, unless you go after market. This is a FAIL on the part of Lexus, IMHO.
Not entirely true. You can add the factory remote start and remote start + if you buy the module and install it. Its actually pretty easy. The only difficult part is if it doesnt communicate with the car once installed youd need a dealer or someone with techstream to program it. The module itself is like $250 new and works with your factory remote. I just bought one for $130 on ebay. The only downsides ive heard about the factory remote start is 1) the range and 2) the engine shuts off when the door is opened as a safety feature.

ALSO, the remote start + allows the same functionality as enform (starting/unlocking/diagnostics) through an app and the subscription is way cheaper. I think like $60 for the year.

Last edited by Black16; 09-06-17 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-06-17, 04:03 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Would you be so kind to scan and post the factory installation instructions when you have a chance? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Black16
You can add the factory remote start and remote start + if you buy the module and install it. Its actually pretty easy. The only difficult part is if it doesnt communicate with the car once installed youd need a dealer or someone with techstream to program it. The module itself is like $250 new and works with your factory remote. I just bought one for $130 on ebay. The only downsides ive heard about the factory remote start is 1) the range and 2) the engine shuts off when the door is opened as a safety feature.

ALSO, the remote start + allows the same functionality as enform (starting/unlocking/diagnostics) through an app and the subscription is way cheaper. I think like $60 for the year.
Old 09-06-17, 05:10 PM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Would you be so kind to scan and post the factory installation instructions when you have a chance? Thanks!
no need, already online https://st.club-lexus.ru/attach/u/ac6a39f2.pdf
(If you're viewing on a phone you won't see the illustrative photos)
res+ is a little more involved, running wires up the a pillar and mounting antennas on the inside of the windshield.

Last edited by Black16; 09-06-17 at 05:13 PM.
Acrad (09-07-17)
Old 09-08-17, 03:26 PM
ad3g
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the helpful tips. Wasn't aware of the leaning problem...good to know.
And also they seemed to have fixed the secondary air injection problems from 2014 and up.
Let the hunt begin !! ....hopefully I can find one reasonably close to home without having to do a 300 mile ride one way to find the right one !
Thanks everyone !!
They do seem to be fairly plentiful in my area NY NJ PA so shouldn't be to much of a hunt
Detailed service records a MUST !!
Old 09-08-17, 03:39 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

There is a different TSB for '14-'16 that may require an ECM firmware update in colder operating areas in regards to the secondary air system.