GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rattling Rear Barn door

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-17, 05:56 AM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Lightbulb Rattling Rear Barn door

Rear door on my 2015 GX with 57K miles started to rattle a lot. First I thought that beach chairs in the rear are making the noise. Yesterday, I removed everything from the rear, even the tool box and everything from the storage area of the rear door. But it did not fix the issues. I noticed that metal rod of the shock where it connects with the rear door is loose and making that noise.

Took it to dealership this morning as well and they recommend replacing the rear shock and the mount. I am still awaiting on the dealership to provide me a quote to fix it. I believe there must be an easy fix for this. I think we lost some kind of rubber padding where that metal rod connects the door.

Any help on how to get it fixed would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-28-17, 06:36 AM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Without a picture, it's hard to say, but adhesive felt fixesa ton of things... (or weatherstripping)
Old 08-28-17, 05:02 PM
paui4m
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the exact same issue - Swing gate strut
When i wiggle the strut, I hear the same noise.

I am going to try and see what the dealer will do with this when it's in for maintenance in a couple weeks.
If nothing, I am going to order a new strut and/or the bracket. The parts are in the link as well.

I'll report back how I make out. If you get somewhere, please let us know as well.

Originally Posted by sfuad
Rear door on my 2015 GX with 57K miles started to rattle a lot. First I thought that beach chairs in the rear are making the noise. Yesterday, I removed everything from the rear, even the tool box and everything from the storage area of the rear door. But it did not fix the issues. I noticed that metal rod of the shock where it connects with the rear door is loose and making that noise.

Took it to dealership this morning as well and they recommend replacing the rear shock and the mount. I am still awaiting on the dealership to provide me a quote to fix it. I believe there must be an easy fix for this. I think we lost some kind of rubber padding where that metal rod connects the door.

Any help on how to get it fixed would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-28-17, 05:27 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

WAIT do not replace the door strut just yet. I had the EXACT same issue and spent an hour attempting to resolve it myself. When I moved the door strut, it sure sounded like the culprit...but it was NOT. On the left side in the rear cargo area is where the jack is stored. There's a small access door just above the carpet line near the back edge...keep looking you'll find it. Apparently this is a common problem, the jack gets loose and makes a horrible rattling.

Open the door and try to move the jack around...I'll bet that's it! To resolve it, you'll basically "open" the jack up a little. That is, while it's in its storage spot start to turn the lever to "jack up". It will tighten. I used my hand at first, then a screwdriver. Don't over tighten.

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by DallasDave:
mbdtex (11-09-23), sfuad (08-29-17)
Old 08-28-17, 06:32 PM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DallasDave
WAIT do not replace the door strut just yet. I had the EXACT same issue and spent an hour attempting to resolve it myself. When I moved the door strut, it sure sounded like the culprit...but it was NOT. On the left side in the rear cargo area is where the jack is stored. There's a small access door just above the carpet line near the back edge...keep looking you'll find it. Apparently this is a common problem, the jack gets loose and makes a horrible rattling.

Open the door and try to move the jack around...I'll bet that's it! To resolve it, you'll basically "open" the jack up a little. That is, while it's in its storage spot start to turn the lever to "jack up". It will tighten. I used my hand at first, then a screwdriver. Don't over tighten.

Good luck!
I would look at jack tomorrow and then report back.
Old 08-28-17, 06:37 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I had similar problem what Dallasdave suggested a loose jack which was making an annoying sound.
Old 08-28-17, 09:41 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with Dallas. I have the F sport wheels and in the left compartment there are spare lug nuts to fit the standard spare wheel. One of them had fallen out of the bag and was rolling around in the wheel well. It took me driving in an empty parking lot from side to side and using my phone as a camera to find the lug nut.

Hope it isnt too serious on yours!
The following users liked this post:
ch99tj (02-20-23)
Old 08-29-17, 04:19 AM
paui4m
Rookie

Thanks for the input, Guys.
I thought I checked the jack previously, but it's sure worth trying again before buying something.

Hope you TX guys are dry and safe!
Old 08-29-17, 06:48 AM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DallasDave

Good luck!
Thanks a lot. Yes it was the loose jack. It was loose and I tightened it with hand and SUV is quite again. The dealer quoted me $600 to replace the door shock without a guarantee. They said if it does not fix it they would look at something else as its just a start.

Thanks again everyone who provided their input.
The following 2 users liked this post by sfuad:
ch99tj (02-20-23), Craigyyy (12-12-19)
Old 08-29-17, 05:15 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Wow, you owe me a beer (or two). Isn't it amazing that this forum can provide the information but the LEXUS Dealership cannot. Congrats on the easy (and inexpensive) fix.
ch99tj (02-20-23)
Old 08-29-17, 05:55 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I have seen post on CL from Lexus dealership mechanics complaining about people like us mentioning " I read on a forum this could be the problem". Yes they have knowledge of how to diagnose problems and replace parts but sometimes a group of people who actually drive the model have the correct solution with real world experience
DJJJ (10-17-19)
Old 08-29-17, 07:47 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Ill throw some some extra props to this forum specifically (gx 2nd gen), while the others are helpful they have no acrad or tecman.

Originally Posted by tecman
I have seen post on CL from Lexus dealership mechanics complaining about people like us mentioning " I read on a forum this could be the problem". Yes they have knowledge of how to diagnose problems and replace parts but sometimes a group of people who actually drive the model have the correct solution with real world experience
The following 3 users liked this post by caesosa:
Acrad (09-01-17), DJJJ (10-04-19), tecman (09-06-17)
Old 08-29-17, 08:31 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Yeah I was thinking I have a major suspension problem lol 😂 and guess what the it was the loose jack. GX forum has been very helpful. I used to be a regular at 4th Gen GS before I sold it and some guys are very helpful. Also the ES forum is slow and boring just like the car. I posted a question for my wife's daily driver and no one replied.
Old 09-01-17, 12:15 PM
paui4m
Rookie

I wish I could say this fixed mine. Finally got a good drive in this morning after being home sick the past 2 days.
Even after tightening the jack, mine is still doing it.

Can anyone pls tell me if you can shake your strut a bit and if you hear it rattle right at the socket where the arrow is here?
Appreciate it. I'm sure some could tune it out a lot better, but it's starting to really drive me nuts.
Old 09-01-17, 12:51 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by tecman:
GoHuskers (07-17-18), paui4m (09-01-17)

Quick Reply: Rattling Rear Barn door