GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010-2017 GX Regional Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 01:19 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

It's not the entire airbag but just the passenger inflator that potentially breaks up during deployment. Some people was
able to have Lexus issue a long term loaner while their car is waiting for parts. You need to sign a waiver to park the Lexus
Old 08-26-17, 05:45 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4602011

After carefully reading recall notice, it seems to me that Toyota/Lexus may no longer be on the hook to replace the airbag if one does not exclude themselves from the lawsuit. I write this because the language indicates all other rights are then given up, and I take it that those rights/remedies would be the replacement airbag. However, I don't know if what I perceive is true or not, can can anyone shine more light on this?
That is unlikely to be the case. If you don't exclude yourself from the lawsuit then you're opting out of suing Lexus for any further damages ($) associated with the airbag. By opting in, you are agreeing to the same settlement terms as the rest of the class, however those terms would not include waiving Lexus's responsibility to replace the defective airbag. Lexus would normally not be able to contract its way out of fixing the airbags because they are required to by law. Allowing them to waive that requirement would be contrary to public policy.
The following users liked this post:
GX4602011 (08-27-17)
Old 08-27-17, 10:06 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bd5400
That is unlikely to be the case. If you don't exclude yourself from the lawsuit then you're opting out of suing Lexus for any further damages ($) associated with the airbag. By opting in, you are agreeing to the same settlement terms as the rest of the class, however those terms would not include waiving Lexus's responsibility to replace the defective airbag. Lexus would normally not be able to contract its way out of fixing the airbags because they are required to by law. Allowing them to waive that requirement would be contrary to public policy.
I made a scan of the card I got. Reading it closely makes me believe that anyone who is a member of the lawsuit relieves Toyota/Lexus Takata of all further liabilities (including new airbags/igniters). Toyota/Lexus Takata all deny the allegation in the lawsuit (that they had sold vehicles with defective airbags), does that mean they will not replace the airbags/igniters after all? If Toyota/Lexus does replace the airbags/igniters by default then why the need to have a law suit? Seems to me that the cash settlement would be in lieu of a replacement airbag/igniter.

Instead of a lawsuit, Toyota/LexusToyota/Lexus should use the $278,500,000 in the settlement to buy the replacement airbags/igniters so we can get them changed out quicker.

Anyways, I'm not a lawyer nor have had any extensive law education outside a four year business degree.
Attached Thumbnails 2010-2017 GX Regional Airbag Recall-scan.jpg  
Old 08-27-17, 10:28 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

I made a scan of the card I got. Reading it closely makes me believe that anyone who is a member of the lawsuit relieves Toyota/Lexus Takata of all further liabilities (including new airbags/igniters). Toyota/Lexus Takata all deny the allegation in the lawsuit (that they had sold vehicles with defective airbags), does that mean they will not replace the airbags/igniters after all? If Toyota/Lexus does replace the airbags/igniters by default then why the need to have a law suit? Seems to me that the cash settlement would be in lieu of a replacement airbag/igniter.

Instead of a lawsuit, Toyota/LexusToyota/Lexus should use the $278,500,000 in the settlement to buy the replacement airbags/igniters so we can get them changed out quicker.

Anyways, I'm not a lawyer nor have had any extensive law education outside a four year business degree.
Again, Lexus is legally required to replace the airbags. Manufacturers are required to complete recall repairs at no cost to vehicle owners. This is the law. Denying allegations is standard procedure when settling. No defendant admits liability when settling. The lawsuit is due to other associated costs due to the delay in their ability to replace them. Nothing in that notice states that Lexus is not, or will not be, replacing airbags. The lawsuit covers economic damages, if any, to owners.

If someone wanted to try to sue Lexus for the full cost of their vehicle, which is likely outside of the settlement terms, they would opt out and try to pursue their own action. These notices go out because in a Rule 23 class action you are automatically included in the class unless you affirmatively opt-out. They are required to provide people the opportunity to opt out of the class if they don't want to be bound by the terms of the settlement and would prefer to pursue an individual claim.
GX4602011 (08-27-17)
Old 08-27-17, 11:32 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

A few members have already had the single front passenger air bag replaced. That is the only airbag affected. As for '17s I don't think I have seen the official build month but it just says early production models.

Replacement Schedule

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...lah2alofaq.pdf
GX4602011 (08-27-17)
Old 08-27-17, 01:15 PM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bd5400
Again, Lexus is legally required to replace the airbags. Manufacturers are required to complete recall repairs at no cost to vehicle owners. This is the law. Denying allegations is standard procedure when settling. No defendant admits liability when settling. The lawsuit is due to other associated costs due to the delay in their ability to replace them. Nothing in that notice states that Lexus is not, or will not be, replacing airbags. The lawsuit covers economic damages, if any, to owners.

If someone wanted to try to sue Lexus for the full cost of their vehicle, which is likely outside of the settlement terms, they would opt out and try to pursue their own action. These notices go out because in a Rule 23 class action you are automatically included in the class unless you affirmatively opt-out. They are required to provide people the opportunity to opt out of the class if they don't want to be bound by the terms of the settlement and would prefer to pursue an individual claim.
Will you opt out, and what are your reasons for opting out, or not opting out?
Old 08-27-17, 02:43 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

A few articles on the topic....

http://www.wfmynews2.com/news/local/...ixed/447110587

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...518-story.html

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/0...over-air-bags/

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/18/news...ent/index.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...eal/550085001/

https://www.moneytalksnews.com/will-...ag-settlement/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ent/101833672/
Old 08-28-17, 05:07 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Will you opt out, and what are your reasons for opting out, or not opting out?
I will not be opting out primarily because:
1. I have no intention of filing my own lawsuit against Lexus.
2. I have incurred no expenses associated with needing to have my airbag replaced.
GX4602011 (08-30-17)
Old 08-29-17, 02:47 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Here is the notice I got the other day.

Old 08-30-17, 12:58 PM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Just thinking about this makes me want to sell my GX. All I can think of now is my wife getting injured or worse from a defective airbag (search Takata air bag defects and view the bloody horror pics). This will be on my mind every time she gets in the passenger seat. I'm in Maryand, so my 2011 isn't scheduled for replacement until Jan 2019. I live on the Eastern Shore (other side of the Chesapeake Bay aka DelMarVa) and near water where we get high humidity.
Old 08-30-17, 01:52 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

I got my airbag fixed by Lexus and yesterday I received this notice. In fact, I got 3, one for the other car and one for my brother-in-law's 2017 Subaru Outback
Old 08-30-17, 02:53 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Just thinking about this makes me want to sell my GX. All I can think of now is my wife getting injured or worse from a defective airbag (search Takata air bag defects and view the bloody horror pics). This will be on my mind every time she gets in the passenger seat. I'm in Maryand, so my 2011 isn't scheduled for replacement until Jan 2019. I live on the Eastern Shore (other side of the Chesapeake Bay aka DelMarVa) and near water where we get high humidity.

I think it must be based on zone it was originally sold in. Mine came out of California so it is in Zone A but I live in Zone C.

Does the Lexus owner site show your current Zone when you go here?

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...safety-recalls

Mine shows this and remedy for my '12 should be around by December.

Last edited by Acrad; 08-30-17 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-05-17, 08:19 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Any 2011 owners find out if parts are available yet?

Originally Posted by Acrad35751

Document above now says parts for '10 available now. It was updated in the last two weeks. 2013 models will probably be added come next January.

Old 09-06-17, 06:31 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I went by my Local Lex Dealer about two weeks ago to inquire about any outstanding recalls and TSBs.
My 2011 GX460 is NOT a part of the recall. Some are, some aren't, "It goes by your VIN" the warranty department advisor said.

Best of luck to you. I did read somewhere where there were PLENTY of replacement parts for the recall. It's a matter of getting them out from supply from a bankrupt company.
Depending on the nature and type of the bankruptcy, they may continue operating. If not, there is a competitor that can supply the necessary units to replace your Takata airbag initiator.
Old 09-06-17, 03:57 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

From this sheet... you may be a Phase 4 depending on where vehicle was originally sold so it will likely be recalled by January 2019.

Quick Reply: 2010-2017 GX Regional Airbag Recall