GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Height control not working very bumpy ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 03:40 PM
Theresagab
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Height control not working very bumpy ride

I just bought a used 2010 GX 460 premium. Previously had a LX 470. Well the GX has been a real disappointment after my previous LX. So far the ride is terribly bumpy so bumpy in fact everytime I look in the rear view I can see the seat shaking. I tried out the height adjuster today and it does say it's going H or L but I can't feel anything. I am wondering what this could be and if anyone has a rough idea of costs to fix. It also has a slow acceleration when turning on to highways... we almost got hit once and had to back up because the vehicle was just creeping along.
I have taken it in to get aligned and am taking it in next week to a Toyota dealer to get an update that will hopefully fix the slow acceleration issue. We do not have a Lexus dealer in my town or state actually.
At this point I am feeling like I bought a lemon and am pretty disappointed.
Would really appreciate some any ideas! Thank you!!
Old 08-04-17, 03:44 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

The height control only applies up to 15mph. It is mostly for lower/higher when towing, get out of the car or some situation off-roading. Once you get up to the speed, it will level it out.
The acceleration is reported by a few people here. You have to stomp on it to get it going especially when you're between gear (around 40-50mph or so) and the computer will try to shift to higher gear.
You can try by pull it to Sport mode, which will put it in 4th and see if it helps.

Also, the bumpy ride is due to a truck frame if you're not used to it nor compare it to regular car. But on smooth freeway, it shouldn't be jumpy at all. Also check the tires see if they are overinflated.
Old 08-04-17, 03:48 PM
Theresagab
Driver School Candidate

I do understand that the height adjuster is not necessary but I wonder if it not working has something to do with the bumpy ride?
Old 08-04-17, 03:53 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,330 Posts

How many miles on it? Can you visibly not see rear end go up and down while stopped? If not sure have another person stand outside and view the rear. A chance you have problem with rear air suspension or bags/air lines are filling bags up properly. That could expensive if you need to take into a shop.

Anything show up on this site? Kinda like a free Carfax.
https://www.research.com/

As bbqsoup said try Sport Mode

Can you elaborate on this? Was vehicle floored and it was barely moving? ".. we almost got hit once and had to back up because the vehicle was just creeping along. "
Old 08-04-17, 04:25 PM
Theresagab
Driver School Candidate

70,000 miles on it. I have not visually checked if I can see it moving. But will after this suggestion. With my LX I could feel it going up and down is that not the case with the GX?
So I live off a busy highway and have to zip out into traffic. I pushed the gas and it was creeping slowing so I floored it and it still crept along so slow that I had to reverse before getting hit by a semi. It doesn't consistently do this but has done it 4-5 times in the last 7 days. It's made me very cautious in pulling out and I am sure people behind me are wondering what my problem is!
Old 08-04-17, 04:37 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

You have to remember your LX has height adjustment on all 4 corners. The GX only has height adjustability on the rear. I don't have any experience with an LX but I gather from what people say it is a noticeably cushier ride than the GX.

Were tires losing any kind of traction where traction control might be kicking in and limiting power? Not sure of your elevation but this rig is capable of 0-60 in 6.9-7.0 seconds from several auto test magazines.
Old 08-04-17, 04:46 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

If this is TSB applied to your vehicle at Toyota dealer you shouldn't have to pay for it as it should be covered under 8/80 Federal emission warranty as per TSB statement on page 1.

Old 08-04-17, 04:49 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Do you know where vehicle came from? Local sale or out of state? Run the VIN through link I posted above. If out of state see if there are any Lexus service records.

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/

Looks like site is down for maintenance right now but check tomorrow. You may need to signup if you never registered your LX.

EDIT: Also check your tire pressure.

Last edited by Acrad; 08-04-17 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-05-17, 07:28 AM
Theresagab
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for all this info!! It looks like the height control is working when we are outside of the car looking at it.
I did pull up the service logs and it does look like alignment has been an issue in the past. It seems the vehicle often needs to be realigned. Which is a bummer.
I will pass this info on to the service tech. Thank you so much!!