GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Tires Life

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 05:16 PM
rroman001
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

2017 gx460 premium with Mich Latitude touring. Have 23K miles on them and I've started to shop for 4 new. The backs are not too bad, the fronts worse. I rotated them once. The Passenger tire, inside of tire, seems to be worst location. Will likely get the Michelin Defenders based on all the reviews, they seem to score highest. The Premier LTX outsells the Defenders by a large majority - not sure why.
Old 05-07-18, 05:15 AM
Flannagan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Premier LTX, they ride great
Old 07-14-19, 08:08 AM
2010rx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM "latitude tour" on a 2016 need to replace at just under 30000 miles. not buying a latitude.
Old 07-14-19, 12:23 PM
4les
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

With 15k miles on the OEM latitude tour have started hearing squealing sound on turns from the tires. They still look brand new though
Old 07-14-19, 12:44 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Possible reasons for squealing.

Underinflation

Underinflated tires cannot compensate for the physical forces at work during a turn. When you take a corner on well-inflated tires, they keep their shape better, which allows them to maintain the right amount of contact with the road. If your tires are low, the sidewalls flex too much and cannot generate enough traction to turn the car smoothly. Instead, the rubber will slide sideways more, causing a squeal. (Keeping tires filled at the proper pressure will also extend their tread life.)

Worn Tread

Tires that are getting to the end of their life or have uneven wear, will squeal more. If you’ve got uneven tread pattern or depths, you’ll have less road grip. So when you take corners, accelerate or brake, your tires will slip more easily.
https://www.lesschwab.com/article/wh...es-squeal.html
Old 07-14-19, 01:39 PM
4les
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

34 psi pressure... The squealing started only in the last 1000 miles. Will have it checked though. Thanks techman.
Old 07-19-19, 08:36 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy B
I disagree. The Michelin Defenders have been much better for me.

Randy B
I agree. Defenders have much deeper tread depth as well, it’s like 12/32’s compared to 8.5/32 for Premiers.
Old 09-14-19, 10:12 AM
DrTeaRex
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick question for you guys, since I have never actually encountered trouble with this before [or my previous car's lack of a tire pressure sensor meant I easily overlooked it]:

I have a 2017 GX 460 Premium, currently on the original OEM tires [need to check the brand and type. I'll look at it tomorrow before I head to work] that came with the car. Tire pressure sensor lit up a week or so ago, but I was too busy to fix it at the time. I got round to it on Thursday and adjusted the tire pressure to 29 PSI on all four tires as per manufacturer recommendations, then let the car sit for a couple of days. Started it up to do my routine refuel for the week earlier today, and noticed the light was on again. I live in a hot country and still get 33 C temperatures here during the day time with limited humidity.

Anyone have any idea what might be responsible? I'm 99.99% sure I don't have any nails or anything in my tires, since they all seem uniform. Are they under/over-inflated for my climate? Is there something else I'm not taking into account?
Old 09-14-19, 01:47 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by DrTeaRex
Quick question for you guys, since I have never actually encountered trouble with this before [or my previous car's lack of a tire pressure sensor meant I easily overlooked it]:

I have a 2017 GX 460 Premium, currently on the original OEM tires [need to check the brand and type. I'll look at it tomorrow before I head to work] that came with the car. Tire pressure sensor lit up a week or so ago, but I was too busy to fix it at the time. I got round to it on Thursday and adjusted the tire pressure to 29 PSI on all four tires as per manufacturer recommendations, then let the car sit for a couple of days. Started it up to do my routine refuel for the week earlier today, and noticed the light was on again. I live in a hot country and still get 33 C temperatures here during the day time with limited humidity.

Anyone have any idea what might be responsible? I'm 99.99% sure I don't have any nails or anything in my tires, since they all seem uniform. Are they under/over-inflated for my climate? Is there something else I'm not taking into account?
Sounds like your spare tire pressure is borderline, with temperature shift causing the spare tire pressure to cross above and below the TPMS threshold. I always inflate the spare tire to 40-psi given it is easy to forget for years ... so stays above the minimum (TPMS threshold) pressure for years with normal pressure loss over time. Also, inflation pressure is for a COLD tire ... driving can increase the pressure by 3-4 psi due to the tire temperature increasing even after 10-miles of driving.

As an aside, IMHO 29-psi is too low ... with 32-psi being the minimum cold inflation pressure. If there was anything learned in the Explorer-Firestone Rollover debacle ... using comfort as a measure for proper inflation pressures is an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited by ASE; 09-14-19 at 02:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
John00 (09-15-19)
Old 09-14-19, 02:46 PM
DrTeaRex
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Noted on the spare. Will take a look at that some time tomorrow after work. Though regarding your final note, comfort wasn't the reference for tire pressure. Manufacturer specifications were. Looked at the recommended pressure in the door frame for an unloaded vehicle [as my car doesn't typically get loaded down] and used that as a reference.