GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

K&N Cabin Filter?

Old 07-16-17, 10:51 AM
mattau
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default K&N Cabin Filter?

Does anyone use K&N Cabin Filter in their GX? I have used K&N Air Filter in my other cars in the past but have not tried their cabin filters. Since it's so easy to change the cabin filter in the GX, is it worthwhile to use the K&N?
Old 07-16-17, 02:33 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,558 Likes on 2,329 Posts

I'm just using this cheap eBay one.... seems to do the job. No charcoal but I can't say those have ever offered me anything noticeable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/87139-YZZ20-...-/152312305964

I always try to make sure the automatic smog detection is enabled on the HVAC recirc control
Old 07-17-17, 08:47 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

I also used ones from ebay but with carbon. They are so cheap that I can replace them yearly along with the camry as they use the same filter.
Old 07-17-17, 01:59 PM
blutopless
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I never use K&N filters in any vehicle with a mass air sensor. I've removed and trashed them from vehicles I've purchased. A good quality clean paper filter will keep your engine cleaner than a K&N ever will. K&N filters use oil to capture dust. However, they also mist oil into the mass air meter, coating it will oxidation and messing with the computer's ability to meter fuel. Mass air meters use a heated wire element to determine the air flow in order to add the proper amount of fuel. Carbureted vehicles and speed density fuel injection don't care.
Cabin filters? I wouldn't waste the money. IMHO.
Old 07-17-17, 05:16 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by blutopless
I never use K&N filters in any vehicle with a mass air sensor. I've removed and trashed them from vehicles I've purchased. A good quality clean paper filter will keep your engine cleaner than a K&N ever will. K&N filters use oil to capture dust. However, they also mist oil into the mass air meter, coating it will oxidation and messing with the computer's ability to meter fuel. Mass air meters use a heated wire element to determine the air flow in order to add the proper amount of fuel. Carbureted vehicles and speed density fuel injection don't care.
Cabin filters? I wouldn't waste the money. IMHO.
I've heard this before but do not believe it to be true...at all. Many FRAM and OEM engine air filters have oil on them. Haven't you ever noticed that some air filters (non K&N) have a slimy feel to the rubber? I can recall seeing many air filter boxes at the auto parts store with oil-like stains on them. Lastly, many filters are packaged wrapped in plastic. That's to keep the oil from evaporating while sitting on the shelf for many months or even years.

If you are interested in the truth, here's some good information.

https://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm
Old 07-17-17, 05:57 PM
blutopless
Driver School Candidate

I only speak from 30+ years of racing cars. I put K&N filters in everything until I experienced problems with late model cars with mass air sensors. My old 396 Chevelle SS that I raced for years always had one. My 03' Cobra, never. I've raced many different types of cars, 30+ Mustangs, Supra turbos, Evos, GSX, and others. K&N filters will foul mass air meters, count on it. Most people who never drive hard may never see it, but they will screw up a tune on a fast car quickly. If you ever have to have your mass air meter cleaned after running a K&N, the oil is why. I just buy premium paper air filters and don't worry about it.
Old 07-17-17, 06:04 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
I've heard this before but do not believe it to be true...at all
I agree, I have used K&N filters for over 300,000 miles with Acura (Legend,MDX) and now my Lexus GX460 with no problems. Cleaned it a while back and good to go

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...new-gx460.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-gx-460-a.html
Old 07-17-17, 06:16 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

I only speak from 30+ years of racing cars. I put K&N filters in everything until I experienced problems with late model cars with mass air sensors. My old 396 Chevelle SS that I raced for years always had one. My 03' Cobra, never. I've raced many different types of cars, 30+ Mustangs, Supra turbos, Evos, GSX, and others. K&N filters will foul mass air meters, count on it. Most people who never drive hard may never see it, but they will screw up a tune on a fast car quickly. If you ever have to have your mass air meter cleaned after running a K&N, the oil is why. I just buy premium paper air filters and don't worry about it.
This is a GX460 forum, not a high performance cars like you mention here sir. I drive hard, but my cars are not race cars
Old 07-17-17, 06:20 PM
blutopless
Driver School Candidate

Let me be clear, I know the man who invented K&N, that's why I tried them 30 years ago. But, when you think an air filter enhances performance compared to a paper filter, you need to think about how that can happen. More air equals bigger holes in the filter or more surface area. You can't get more air though equal filtering media and equal surface area, physics tells you that is impossible.
Use whatever you want. I don't like oil on my mass air meter or fine dirt in my motor. I've got a 1987 Chevy 1/2t with 264,000 miles that has always run a 6" tall K&N. But it's TBI not mass air.
The following 2 users liked this post by blutopless:
GoHuskers (07-18-17), tecman (07-17-17)
Old 07-17-17, 06:34 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Let me be clear, I know the man who invented K&N, that's why I tried them 30 years ago. But, when you think an air filter enhances performance compared to a paper filter, you need to think about how that can happen. More air equals bigger holes in the filter or more surface area. You can't get more air though equal filtering media and equal surface area, physics tells you that is impossible.
Use whatever you want. I don't like oil on my mass air meter or fine dirt in my motor. I've got a 1987 Chevy 1/2t with 264,000 miles that has always run a 6" tall K&N. But it's TBI not mass air.
Thank you!! This is why this site is great..Your insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-17-17, 07:41 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Smile

You seem like a good guy and I (for one) do appreciate your insight!

More air does not always mean bigger holes...maybe just better (and more expensive) media combined with better technology. Lets face it, car manufacturers very often choose the CHEAPEST route that will get the job done. They certainly want their vehicles to perform, but I firmly believe cost is a higher priority.

I've been running K&N on most of my vehicles for over ten years. While that isn't the same amount of experience you have had, I have never had a problem (BMW cars, MB GL550, Acura RL, Ford Expedition, just to name a few).

In any case, some may heed your warning but as soon as my GX is due for a new filter it will be replaced with a K&N unit just like my GS350.

Happy motoring!
Old 07-17-17, 10:08 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I've run K&n but more recently I transitioned to the AFE. So far no issues on the high performance.

aFe does offer a "higher" flow filter without the oil that I almost tried. I would say if you are truly concerned about it, that may be a good compromise.

http://afepower.com/afe-power-31-10208-magnum-flow-pro-dry-s-air-filter

You seem like a good guy and I (for one) do appreciate your insight!

More air does not always mean bigger holes...maybe just better (and more expensive) media combined with better technology. Lets face it, car manufacturers very often choose the CHEAPEST route that will get the job done. They certainly want their vehicles to perform, but I firmly believe cost is a higher priority.

I've been running K&N on most of my vehicles for over ten years. While that isn't the same amount of experience you have had, I have never had a problem (BMW cars, MB GL550, Acura RL, Ford Expedition, just to name a few).

In any case, some may heed your warning but as soon as my GX is due for a new filter it will be replaced with a K&N unit just like my GS350.

Happy motoring!
Old 07-18-17, 02:19 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I HAD K&N in my Taco for about 12k miles and threw it away...too much oil and I suspected it caused my engine run rich...because right after I installed the K&N I started seeing black exhaust soot on the tail pipe and my rear pumper...I had NO problem running an Amsoil Oil-based filter in my 4Runner for 6+ years. So, go figure.

I plan to get an AFE for the GX and NX when its time comes.
Old 07-18-17, 04:13 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Wink

BTW, my apologies to the OP. He asked about CABIN FILTERS not engine air filters.

I too have considered trying the K&N cabin filters but they are expensive ($40) compared to conventional units ($15). I may try one when a new one is due, hopefully they will come down in price.

Okay as a side note and totally joking I was going to say, " I too have considered trying the K&N cabin filters but was worried about an oil mist coming into the cabin!"
Old 07-18-17, 05:20 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Haha I think we hijacked the thread. Sorry bout that.

I too considered the k&n for the cabin but a few things stood out. The "oil" smell for the first few weeks and my understanding is that it does not filter "everything ". I ended up going with the fram w/ baking soda. So far so good- not too heavy of a filter like the Bosch hepa to make the fan work harder.

BTW, my apologies to the OP. He asked about CABIN FILTERS not engine air filters.

I too have considered trying the K&N cabin filters but they are expensive ($40) compared to conventional units ($15). I may try one when a new one is due, hopefully they will come down in price.

Okay as a side note and totally joking I was going to say, " I too have considered trying the K&N cabin filters but was worried about an oil mist coming into the cabin!"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K&N Cabin Filter?