Tires. Michelin Premier LTX question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-17, 11:11 AM
maxse
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tires. Michelin Premier LTX question

hey guys,

so so I need new tires for my truck. I did the research on here and was all set to get the Michelin LTX MS/2 tires from Costco.

Well I just heckled and they only have Premier LTX.

That's what it's called. Did they just change the name and it's the same tire or is this a completely different tire?

the other Michelin they have is the Latitude Tour HP. Which I know is a different tire than the MS/2.

Cans oneone one help me out? Michelin has a $70 coupon right now. Thanks!
Old 06-16-17, 11:28 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Different tires

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+LTX&partnum=66TR8PRLTX

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+M%2FS2&partnum=66HR8LTXMS2

Tread depth on the Premier is only 8.5 versus 10.5 on the M/S2
Old 06-16-17, 11:41 AM
maxse
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh wow. I'm glad I asked! I'm surprised Costco doesn't carry that tire?

i remember the MS/2 got replaced by another tire. Was it the Defender LTX M/S? Or are those completely different tires as well?
Old 06-16-17, 11:45 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

That's a different tire as well with even more tread at 12/32

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...tnum=66TR8DLTX
Old 06-16-17, 12:46 PM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Premier LTX are great tires, IMHO.
Old 06-16-17, 02:14 PM
rattmobbin
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
That's a different tire as well with even more tread at 12/32

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...tnum=66TR8DLTX
That's what the dealer put on mine before I bought it. REALLY nice tires. So nice that even though I desperately want to throw some bigger all-terrains on it, I'm having a hard time justifying getting rid of these tires.
Old 06-16-17, 02:17 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rattmobbin
That's what the dealer put on mine before I bought it. REALLY nice tires. So nice that even though I desperately want to throw some bigger all-terrains on it, I'm having a hard time justifying getting rid of these tires.

Good to know... not sure what I am going to put on mine after these LTX M/S2 wear out in couple years. They only had about 3K miles on them when I bought mine in March. I'll probably go with some bigger all-terrains as well.
Old 06-16-17, 05:44 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm looking to buy new tires also and looking at some goodyears great price/reviews and a lot cheaper then the Michelins.
Old 06-16-17, 11:30 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Hmm... where do I start on the tire thread...

so, long story short. I bought a used Gx 460 with Cooper tires on it "discoverer srx ", loud, bumpy and out of round (due to a possible alignment issue in the past) but they vibrated and I had to have them road force balanced before the vibration went away.

I opted for Toyo Open Country A/T 2's. Here is why:

i wanted the LTX m2(not the premier) because they are more aggressive than anything pirelli or Bridgestone on a standard all season tire - I ended up with the Toyo because when I bought my gx470 many years back it came with toyo open country (not the at's just the all season) and they were very smooth and quiet - sufficiently aggressive. I had heard on the at 2's that I purchased that they were very quiet for an aggressive tire.

The verdict: the at's look great (aggressive) so it adds some aesthetics to the car but they do have a very mild "humm" at 60-70 which is still acceptable to me being as how aggressive they are. Ride is "ok". Do I wish I had gone with the Michelin? Well, i plan to out Michelin x-ice for the winter so why not have something aggressive and fun for the rest of the year. LTX's are a great compromise if you live somewhere where it can freeze but you don't need a winter tire - in addition to something smooth for the highway yet it can go off-road.

Goodyear... they are ok, but I used to have a set of MT/R's and silent armors on an FJ cruiserwhen but always had trouble balancing. The MT/R's are great (way to aggressive for a gx tho) but the wrangler silent armor was just no good in the winter.

With tires, sometimes you do get what you pay for and these are luxury suv's - remember the tires are the only thing connecting you to the road so all that 4wd tech and smooth ride is only as good as the shoes you put on it.
Old 06-17-17, 04:02 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by caesosa
Well, i plan to out Michelin x-ice for the winter so why not have something aggressive and fun for the rest of the year. LTX's are a great compromise if you live somewhere where it can freeze but you don't need a winter tire - in addition to something smooth for the highway yet it can go off-road.
I plan to put some X-ice on the spare factory rims I picked up last month. Hard to beat the braking traction even in the cold wet with a dedicated winter tire. I'll probably wait until late September/early October to purchase since IIRC that is typical sale period for winter tires. I've only ever run Blizzak on other cars. Thanks for recommendation on the X-ice... they do appear to be a great winter tire..
Old 06-17-17, 08:06 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Defender LTX is the NEW LTX M/S2 with new compound and technology. It's supposed to have better braking new as well used. This is the tires I will replace with once my latitude worn out.

Premier LTX is suited for CUV and cars.
Old 06-18-17, 09:30 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Yep, I'm looking at the Defender LTX myself. Was just quoted $195/ea, buy two and get two free. It's similar to what I posted earlier regarding the Nitto tires, but these are the Michelins. I'm going to pick up a set on Weds.
Old 06-18-17, 01:25 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
Yep, I'm looking at the Defender LTX myself. Was just quoted $195/ea, buy two and get two free. It's similar to what I posted earlier regarding the Nitto tires, but these are the Michelins. I'm going to pick up a set on Weds.
where do you get these? I don't need tires now but these deals are too good to pass up. Please share.
Old 06-18-17, 02:17 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Defenders.

I bought these when they first came out, and they have been fantastic in rain and dry. I have 24K miles on them now, and still have an even of all four tires of almost 10/32 of tread left. I rotate and balance regularly at 5K miles. I'm sure that has assisted in the light wear. The tires are fantastic though!

Randy B
Old 06-18-17, 02:22 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
Buy two get two free where is this deal going on ?

Quick Reply: Tires. Michelin Premier LTX question