GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

The 2017 GX ranks 22 out of 22?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-17, 04:57 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Thumbs down The 2017 GX ranks 22 out of 22?

Ouch... Of course reliability and off-roadability weren't scored...
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/lexus/gx

Nothing here that I didn't already know, but "Last Place"??? Really?
If the market is truly comparing CUV's with BOF's, and doesn' know or care about the differences, the GX's future is not looking good.
Old 06-04-17, 05:57 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,560 Likes on 2,330 Posts

It really depends on what your needs are... surely some are tow capable but I didn't see any in the first 21 positions I would feel comfortable taking off-road.

EDIT: Ok.. the Range Rover if it made it back to the pavement without breaking down. I would still never personally own one though.

#2 Tesla X? .... off-road is driving on grass in vineyard and then struggling half way through towing an empty trailer.

EDIT2: Ok.. it did have some firewood... I guess we'll blame the tires ;-)

It will interesting to see where many of these vehicles are in 10-15 years. I have not doubt a roughed up old GX 460 will still be drivable while many in list have been crushed.

Last edited by Acrad; 06-04-17 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-05-17, 10:59 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

I am not shocked by this at all from US News. Most of the time the GX comes in around middle top middle-top of the pack from other providers. There is always a review or two that will pay attention more to how cutting edge (notice I did not say "reliable") the tech is (Apple Play, etc.) or how modern the interior is vs. the basic function of the vehicle. Granted the GX has some, albeit old school, tech but the basic functionality has not been lost as in many of the others (except the LR) You cannot compare a CUV to an SUV unless you are purposely looking to fault a particular marque. Which it appears this author is trying hard to do. Notice how many times the article (or author) feels the need to qualify how much work US News puts into their research and how much you should trust them because of it?

Look at what tied at #1 - Cayenne Hybrid and Model X. Neither of which even placed in the Best Off-Road category. X placed #1 in Best 3 row... first comment:
"The 2017 Tesla Model X is unlike any other SUV on the market. It's an electric vehicle with a long driving range, cutting-edge technology ..."
Most all reviews DO fault the GX for the lackluster ride and steering (BOF construction, 4Runner-like suspension, etc.) as well as older tech. This particular review seems skewed and leaning towards an audience of who would need the latest Apple product and how they can hold bragging rights over what their neighbors are hauling the kids to soccer practice in. And US News never really seemed to care for it anyway. The 2nd Gen didn't place any higher than 7 out of 22 since it came out and in more than a few US News recommended buyers look to a CUV if a rugged Luxury SUV isn't what they needed. Right there demonstrates where you cannot compare an SUV to a CUV. Unfortunately as the BOF goes the way of the Do Do more and more of them will be pitted against the Uni-bodies. Just skimming the past GX reviews it looks like they just regurgitated the same commentary and changed some wording.

Just my $0.02, YMMV
Old 06-05-17, 12:01 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

The Tesla Model X will tow AND is still very fast doing so. Here's a clip of a Alfa 4C drag racing a Model X...while the Model X is towing another Alfa 4C, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+vs+alfa+romeo
Yes, the article is interesting but many of the vehicles tested have terrible reliability ratings per Consumer Reports (five being the highest):

Porsche Cayenne 3/5
Tesla Model X 1/5
Audi Q7 (2017 model) 5/5
BMW X5 3/5
Volvo XC90 1/5

Lexus GX 5/5
Old 06-05-17, 01:19 PM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a friend with a Model X. It is neck-snapping fast on acceleration. But, it has had many, many problems, a notable one being gullwing doors that stop partway open and trap passengers. He is an MIT engineer, so I think he enjoys the frequent software updates and overlooks the hardware flaws. Would he take it off road. Never. Tow something. Ummm, no.
Old 06-05-17, 02:01 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,560 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I have a cabin neighbor that has one. I've seen him tow with it several times and I have no doubt it can but range would be significantly compromised.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...impact-towing/

I wouldn't even make it to my cabin with load mentioned above....and no charging stations. If one stayed within the urban core they would likely be alright. He has to take a trailer because he has 4 kids. Rooftop carrier is out the question but he brings bikes and other things along so can't fit it all on back.

Saw this headline today...

AAA Raises Insurance Rates On Tesla Vehicles Because Repairs Are So Costly
http://jalopnik.com/aaa-raises-insur...les-1795814904
Old 06-05-17, 03:08 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I have a cabin neighbor that has one. I've seen him tow with it several times and I have no doubt it can but range would be significantly compromised.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...impact-towing/

I wouldn't even make it to my cabin with load mentioned above....and no charging stations. If one stayed within the urban core they would likely be alright. He has to take a trailer because he has 4 kids. Rooftop carrier is out the question but he brings bikes and other things along so can't fit it all on back.

Saw this headline today...

AAA Raises Insurance Rates On Tesla Vehicles Because Repairs Are So Costly
http://jalopnik.com/aaa-raises-insur...les-1795814904
I saw that article as well. Long and short of it they ARE more expensive to repair than most vehicles. And judging from the amount of crashes and repairs in relation to amount of vehicles sold no wonder AAA is raising the rates. Others will follow suit.

I found this amusing. It reminded me of interviews done in the movie "Best in Show":

http://jalopnik.com/do-you-feel-bad-...n-a-1795758114
Old 06-06-17, 11:50 AM
mbykow
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the video of the Tesla towing the tiny trailer is pathetic