GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

DIY Repair and Maintenance GX470 or GX460?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-17, 08:51 PM
Robrods
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Repair and Maintenance GX470 or GX460?

I am posting this same question in both 1st gen and 2nd gen GX forums.

Looking at purchasing an older used GX. I've read several posts of 470 vs 460 so I get the generation differences (ride/size/3rd row/materials/etc). However, I couldn't find much (or used wrong keywords) on DIY serviceability. I currently maintain and perform all repairs on both my early 2000's BMW's and have a fairly well equipped garage, code scanner, specialty tools, etc. In the BMW world there are some pivotal model generations that noticeably impact the ability to service the cars without very expensive equipment or became exceptionally difficult to work on. I fully intend to service as much as I can if something does go wrong.

So with that in mind, which model would you recommend from a serviceability point of view?
Old 06-01-17, 09:39 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Ive had a gx470 & 460. At the core both of these trucks are still toyotas . once you remove the skid plates and engine covers they are both very serviceable - much more than any german or British equivalent.

As far as differences between the two... with a newer model you will have newer tech but really they are still very similar. Sorry for the vague answer.

Originally Posted by Robrods
I am posting this same question in both 1st gen and 2nd gen GX forums.

Looking at purchasing an older used GX. I've read several posts of 470 vs 460 so I get the generation differences (ride/size/3rd row/materials/etc). However, I couldn't find much (or used wrong keywords) on DIY serviceability. I currently maintain and perform all repairs on both my early 2000's BMW's and have a fairly well equipped garage, code scanner, specialty tools, etc. In the BMW world there are some pivotal model generations that noticeably impact the ability to service the cars without very expensive equipment or became exceptionally difficult to work on. I fully intend to service as much as I can if something does go wrong.

So with that in mind, which model would you recommend from a serviceability point of view?
Old 06-02-17, 06:18 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by caesosa
Ive had a gx470 & 460. At the core both of these trucks are still toyotas . once you remove the skid plates and engine covers they are both very serviceable - much more than any german or British equivalent..
I agree. I find this GX far more service friendly than the Audi I had before it. A lot depends on what you are accustomed to, and if you have been comfortable with BMW's then the Lexus may be a bit more foreign at first. I believe that over time, you'll find it pretty easy to work on, and not overly demanding as far as service requirements.

Comparing the GX470 to the 460, I think the primary difference will be the level of documentation and experiential learning that's already out there with the 470. Between the GX and LX/Land Cruiser, plus the Tundra, you have tons of knowledge sharing and issues already identified, documented and figured out. With the 4Runners and FJ Cruisers out there that share a very similar platform, things like suspension, diffs, steering, etc. have all been put through most everything that could already happen. The 460 is younger, and the engine is far less common across the fleet, so there's a bit more discovery.
Old 06-02-17, 01:35 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Big difference in motor is 4.7L in 470 has a timing belt and 4.6L in 460 has a chain.

I can't speak for 470 but I assume basically the same...

On my 460...

SUPER EASY
• Front & Rear Diff fluid changes (front do need to take down stock skid plates)
• Transfer Case ( no skid plate removal needed)

Transmission fluid looks to be a PIA on both models although first year IIRC reading 470 actually had a AT dipstick.

• Greasing the zerk fittings... fairly easy.. I did remove a small plate to get at one on the rear of the front driveshaft. I was using ramps instead of jackstands so could have rotated things on a lift or jack stands.

I would get a lift today at my house if my garage would accommodate it. I can't believe how cheap they are.
Old 06-02-17, 09:13 PM
Robrods
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I failed to mention (to keep question brief) -- I took care of my 2001 Toyota Sequoia 4.7L to 200K miles and the GX would replace our current 2010 Sequoia, but the 2010 5.7L hasn't needed anything yet (@ 120K) beyond fluid changes. Since all seems same-same repair-wise (got similar responses on other thread)-- I'm thinking if the car was for me, I'd buy the 470, but its for her, so probably lean to the 460 for ride and mileage.

Not to hijack my own thread, but....
As for a lift -- I have one. For what it's worth, while consumer lifts are relatively low priced, I purchased a used professional Rotary lift for less money than a new consumer lift and its twice the quality (compared to my neighbors) plus repair parts are very easy to get - I finally had to replace a seal in one of the rams after 12 years. I originally bought a two post asymmetric because the neighbor had a 4 post lift. But in practice, the two post is used at least 10 to 1 over the 4 post lift - couldn't be happier. If you do a lot of suspension setup work (ride height, alignment,etc), need something to park under, or you don't have a strong enough concrete floor to support bolting down a two post - then 4 post is way better than no post :-). Otherwise, I highly recommend a two post over a 4 post.

Thanks guys!
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (06-03-17)
Old 06-03-17, 08:46 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Thanks for info on lifts!!! I know very little about what to look for in them.
Old 06-14-17, 07:00 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The GX460 has the LS460 flagship engine in it. In order to reduce cost and complexity Lexus removed the direct injection system from the engine. This dropped the HP from 380 hp to 301 hp. Both 470/460 have a solid axle in the rear & are a true body on frame SUV. They don't handle as well as their competitors but are able to tow much better and the off-road capabilities are far superior to its competition. The only thing that limits the GX from becoming a more serious contender for guys that are into offroading is the limiting approach and departure angle caused by the front bumper and rear bumper. These cosmetic plastic body pieces are what attract the female crowd, unfortunately it also limits where you can take the GX offroad.

Being in the market for one I wanted the GX470. Since it will be the wife's car we will end up getting the 460. Ultimately it fits our needs for a tow vehicle, will make a good family hauler, and has the Lexus reliability that I'm looking for.
Old 06-15-17, 03:04 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I've owned both, I would give the edge on the DIY front to the GX470. But it's not enough of a difference to really make a decision on that front and I haven't really done any work on the 460 yet. The older model just seems a bit simpler.

But probably the biggest service issue on the 470 is the air ride which I'm pretty sure all have, some 460s have the air ride and some have the steel coils. So a 460 with a conventional suspension is probably less headaches than a 470 if that hasn't been take care of.

If you have come from working on wrenching on European cars, either Lexus will seem WAY easier and more straightforward to work on with less speciality tools.