GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

What are the three (or more) things you like about your GX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 04:25 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
What I like:

1) Lexus Reliability

2) Built Like a Tank, Body on Frame, Not a Car based CUV

3) Good Value, Really Holds Resale

4) I LOVE the exterior styling

SUVs have exploded upward in price so much, the Lexus GX actually seemed like a bargain. Something like a loaded Chevy Tahoe is more money and not nearly as high quality. I came from a GX470 that I had owned for about 13 years that I really liked. I have owned 4 Lexus, just really happy with the brand overall.

What I don't like:

1) I think the ride could be a bit more plush, my GX470 had a smoother ride. The GX is a little too "jumpy" on small road imperfections for my taste.
This is a "problem" across Lexus line as they are trying to make their cars ride more like BMWs. Lexus built their company on luxurious cruisers, I think the direction they are going into will only alienate their core customers and not bring in new ones.

2) The interior has some cheap touches with the silver painted plastic. Not horrible, but Toyota needs to drop that styling element. Already mine is scratched and it's only got 1,500 miles. It simply doesn't hold up.

3) The Cargo area could be a bit bigger (but they probably want you to buy an LX for that)

4) I hate the 8 speed transmission, it always feels like it's in too high a gear. My "old" GX felt way more peppier even though it had less power.

5) rear tailgate opening

8 speed transmission? thats a new one on me
Old 05-11-17, 04:39 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

What I like:

2) The interior has some cheap touches with the silver painted plastic. Not horrible, but Toyota needs to drop that styling element. Already mine is scratched and it's only got 1,500 miles. It simply doesn't hold up.

3) The Cargo area could be a bit bigger (but they probably want you to buy an LX for that)
I don't have any interior scratches on that plastic but have been looking for touchup options should it occur. It seems most say replace the plastic or repaint the entire trim piece on other Toyota forums.

If I could find some engineered piece to go in the spot I'd take out my 3rd row seats. I realize it would be a mini pickup bed back there with rise at entrance and possibly affect resale but could care less on that as this thing will have little value when I part with it. I can't see myself really ever using that 3rd row.
Old 05-11-17, 05:07 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751

If I could find some engineered piece to go in the spot I'd take out my 3rd row seats. I realize it would be a mini pickup bed back there with rise at entrance and possibly affect resale but could care less on that as this thing will have little value when I part with it. I can't see myself really ever using that 3rd row.
I store them in my basement. Easy removal and easy install for resale.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...t-removal.html
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (05-11-17)
Old 05-11-17, 05:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

tecman: Nice!!!! Thanks!! You now have me thinking. Might take them out some weekend just to think about options. I may have to leverage some 3D printing options of a friend.
Old 05-11-17, 05:31 PM
rroman001
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive owned mine for 4 weeks. I like....

1. Sound of engine when I start it
2. Headlights
3. Lexus Enform - will get rid of satellite radio in place of pandora
4. Ride is very nice
5. Sitting higher up than a car
Old 05-12-17, 05:44 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
8 speed transmission? thats a new one on me
6 speed, my mistake

The old 5 speed seemed to have better shift points
Old 05-12-17, 05:52 AM
BradTank
Racer

I don't have any interior scratches on that plastic but have been looking for touchup options should it occur. It seems most say replace the plastic or repaint the entire trim piece on other Toyota forums.

I could see feeling that way if you never use it, but the integrated 3rd row was a big reason why we bought the GX and would have had to have gone with a different vehicle otherwise.

Our last GX460 had the removable 3rd row seats, but it was such a pain to have those floating in the garage and having to swap them in and out. It was nice though having the bigger cargo area when they were pulled out.
Old 05-12-17, 03:07 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I could see feeling that way if you never use it, but the integrated 3rd row was a big reason why we bought the GX and would have had to have gone with a different vehicle otherwise.

Our last GX460 had the removable 3rd row seats, but it was such a pain to have those floating in the garage and having to swap them in and out. It was nice though having the bigger cargo area when they were pulled out.
I would have considered a 4Runner had the V8 still have been available. In addition I didn't really want to get a 4Runner Trail model in order to get KDSS. All-in-all I am happy with what vehicle will do for me. Gonna do rear brakes tomorrow. I did the front ones last weekend but ran out of time. Super simple work.
Old 05-13-17, 08:10 AM
BradTank
Racer

I would have considered a 4Runner had the V8 still have been available. In addition I didn't really want to get a 4Runner Trail model in order to get KDSS. All-in-all I am happy with what vehicle will do for me. Gonna do rear brakes tomorrow. I did the front ones last weekend but ran out of time. Super simple work.

I looked at 4Runners also, but the price of a well equipped one was just too close to the price of a GX. Also, Toyota needs to do something about their interiors. For something that can get close to $50k, they look junky.
Old 05-13-17, 08:30 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I was thinking '08-'09 470s first...then maybe new 4Runner Limited.... I would have then probably started looking at '17 460s if this used '12 hadn't shown up for $32k. I know this pre-refresh isn't liked by some but I'm fine with the look. I've had a couple people mistake it for a '08-'11 LX 570. I guess I could see that from the front if someone didn't know better.
Old 05-13-17, 06:39 PM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have both the GX 460 and a 2016 4Runner Trail Premium, and they are both excellent. The 4Runner has an extremely nice road feel with to the KDSS system. The GX is a more refined, quieter and smoother vehicle, but the 4Runner has great build quality and performance. That's why you see so many of them on the road. I really enjoy them equally, my wife however, always takes the GX!
Cheers!
Old 05-14-17, 10:51 PM
cc4sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Reliability. I have total confidence in my GX.
2. Simplicity. I don't need or want all the latest bells and whistles. Radio, Nav and the entire touch screen is easy to use.
3. It's the perfect size vehicle for me; nimble enough driving around town, but roomy enough for road trips with the family.
Old 05-18-17, 12:49 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Not really GX specific but since it's getting hot recently, being able the start the car with the phone and wait for it to cool down is certainly nice.

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
Having come from an RX I would say the GX is a step up unless you are looking for the latest in tech. Neither I or my wife have regrets about letting our '12 RX go for the '17 GX. She feels more comfortable when driving it compared to the RX, the former ES, and especially the current ct200h
We let go our 15 RX for the GX as well. We often wonder why we didn't make the switch sooner. Everyone really enjoys the GX. We had the new RX for a few days to try out but decided to go with the GX. New RX is nice but GX is different. Lacks the latest techs but everything else is just right.