Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - 2nd Gen (2010-present)
Chassis Lubrication - Propeller Shaft / Spiders & Slide Yoke >

Chassis Lubrication - Propeller Shaft / Spiders & Slide Yoke

Notices
GX - 2nd Gen (2010-present) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Chassis Lubrication - Propeller Shaft / Spiders & Slide Yoke

Old 04-25-17, 09:55 AM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

Received 844 Likes on 647 Posts
Default Chassis Lubrication - Propeller Shaft / Spiders & Slide Yoke

I didn't really see a thread on this so will start one. I plan to do this when I service the diffs and TC a few weekends out. Lots of other threads on other Toyota sites. I assume things are very similar to any of the torsen diff based /AWD 4Runners models.

Owner's manual says this:

I need to crawl under and look or check FSM.

I believe there is the following but not sure:

Zerks
Zerks
(1) Front Slide Yoke
(1) Rear Slide Yoke
(2) Up front one for each u-joint/spider
(2) Two each u-joint/spider in rear

S - Y -S (Transfer Case) S - Y - S

REAR DIFF <-> U-Joint/Spider <-> Rear Slide Yoke <-> U-Joint/Spider <-> TRANSFER CASE <-> U-Joint/Spider <-> Front Slide Yoke <-> U-Joint/Spider <-> FRONT DIFF

I will be using these Amsoil products:

Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2

EDIT: Removed Amsoil Slide Yoke option... they don't have a recommendation. I might be going OEM on this as well.

Last edited by Acrad35751; 01-21-19 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-05-17, 12:46 PM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

Saw this promoted on Tundra forums as excellent option for the slide yokes and has moly in it as well. It sounds like you only want to put in 4-6 pumps on the slide yokes and steer clear of pumping grease until you see it ooze out.

Amazon Amazon

http://www.mobil.com/english-US/Grea...HP-Mine-Series

Last edited by Acrad35751; 05-05-17 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-07-17, 03:03 PM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

Showed up today... might do some of this next weekend when I change all the brake pads.

Old 05-19-17, 01:26 PM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

Lubed the zerks today. Here is what you will actually find.

Zerks
(1) Front Slide Yoke
(1) Rear Slide Yoke

There aren't two on u-joints in rear as I originally thought.

Not sure what is included with Lexus 30K service but these zerks look factory virgin. I am doubtful previous owner received a Lexus service they paid for. Exactly a reason I like doing this myself... I really don't find car maintenance fun at all but I like know it is done right and saving a few $$$ never hurts either.
Old 06-19-18, 01:58 PM
12valver
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751 View Post
Lubed the zerks today. Here is what you will actually find.

Zerks
(1) Front Slide Yoke
(1) Rear Slide Yoke

There aren't two on u-joints in rear as I originally thought.

Not sure what is included with Lexus 30K service but these zerks look factory virgin. I am doubtful previous owner received a Lexus service they paid for. Exactly a reason I like doing this myself... I really don't find car maintenance fun at all but I like know it is done right and saving a few $$$ never hurts either.
Touchť!

Thank you for posting this. Sadly "dealer service" is held up on a much misinformed pedastal. The techs can be shady and, like any time pressed human being, cut corners where they can get away with it.

My rig has 52k on it so will be doing this service sometime in the summer.
Old 06-19-18, 02:36 PM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

The chassis lubrication is even listed in the owners manual too... just want to make everyone aware of it.

On the yokes only like 10 pumps.. those you don't want to over-grease or it can create a vibration problem... you will find threads on 4R forums about it.
Old 06-19-18, 07:07 PM
ObsidianBl
Pole Position

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Old 06-19-18, 07:25 PM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

I don’t remember the yoke zerks being that close to ujoint ones

I will look again tomorrow to confirm...

Old 06-19-18, 07:29 PM
ObsidianBl
Pole Position

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Can of worms.....

What would the issues be if we only used 1 type of grease? The chasis lubrication screenshot you posted shows Lithium NGLI #2 suitable for both the spiders and the slide yokes.

I am assuming greasing everything will help with the transmission jolt/jerk during stop and go traffic? Currently 2nd start is used to help with slower stop and go city driving.
Old 06-19-18, 07:39 PM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

From what I can tell both should be fine but the moly based grease may end up lasting longer if you let maintenance slip. Either grease though you just don't want to over grease the yokes as these are continually expanding and contracting as you drive.

From 4R forum:

"When you over fill it, the grease takes up the space inside the driveshaft where the yoke is supposed to slide into. Air compresses, grease doesn't (easily), so it is now acting more like a solid driveshaft. "
The following users liked this post:
Nickk6 (06-20-18)
Old 06-19-18, 10:25 PM
caesosa
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Acrad, thanks for posting.

i actually started the process this past weekend. I was underneath (checking a different issue, the leaning) and saw the zerks lined up on the rear drive shaft so I went ahead and greased them with the valvoline synthetic grease (what several forums on the 100 series recommend).

i did not over grease like it is recommended on the 100 series (to help with a ďclunkĒ on most cruisers). I couldnít believe it myself but it actually worked. From this I did learn that the shaft zerk (not the u joints) have an overflow so if you overfil them they will release grease so I donít think a vibration would start from that.

Def stick to a moly synthetic grease and youíll be alright. Donít think oem is necessary just donít go with a non syn grease as they simply just donít last a long time.

the below is for the 100 series and only for FYI
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the...thread.401590/

Last edited by caesosa; 06-19-18 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-20-18, 02:25 PM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

I didn't want to take any chances on the yokes. Good to know on the overflow.

Since you were just under there do you remember how close the shaft zerks were to the u-joint ones? ObsidianBl had a question about placement with diagram above. I did mine last year and can't remember exactly.

Originally Posted by caesosa View Post

i actually started the process this past weekend. I was underneath (checking a different issue, the leaning) and saw the zerks lined up on the rear drive shaft so I went ahead and greased them with the valvoline synthetic grease (what several forums on the 100 series recommend).

i did not over grease like it is recommended on the 100 series (to help with a ďclunkĒ on most cruisers). I couldnít believe it myself but it actually worked. From this I did learn that the shaft zerk (not the u joints) have an overflow so if you overfil them they will release grease so I donít think a vibration would start from that.

Def stick to a moly synthetic grease and youíll be alright. Donít think oem is necessary just donít go with a non syn grease as they simply just donít last a long time.

The following users liked this post:
ObsidianBl (06-21-18)
Old 06-20-18, 04:26 PM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

I do think those that take their vehicles in for service should also bring along their owner's manuals with bookmarked page on need for greased zerks. I'd even ask afterward how many zerks the mechanic greased. They could always lie but you know the answer is 6.
Old 06-20-18, 08:41 PM
caesosa
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

They two zerks are about 2-3 inches apart. The below chart is very comparable except on the GX (vs 100 series) the front shaft is on the left side of the vehicle and covered by some plates which makes it slightly harder to reach the zerks but not impossible.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments...001-jpg.10430/[img]blob:https://www.clublexus.com/25cdda44-02ae-403c-a416-3e11e9c8906e[/img]

Originally Posted by caesosa View Post

The following 2 users liked this post by caesosa:
Acrad35751 (06-21-18), ObsidianBl (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18, 06:00 PM
ndmiller
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So just had 30K service, but wondering if driveshaft re torquing and greasing was done. If I pump some grease into the easy rear spyder, and clean grease comes out, can I assume they did the others and re torqued the driveshafts? And vice versa? Can't believe while they were there they would do it all....or do none of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chassis Lubrication - Propeller Shaft / Spiders & Slide Yoke

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: