GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-17, 07:54 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

They can tell if the tire is out of round when Road Force balancing. I would take it back to the dealer. BTW, don't go with Bridgestone
tires, they're junk in my opinion. Had them on my 2014 at delivery and had them swapped out for Michelin LTX M/S2's
Was your vehicle under any warranty/certified when you purchased it? I would let the dealer take care of the problem.
Road Force is the only way to go, I have mine balanced at the dealer.

Good luck,

Craig
Old 04-19-17, 11:26 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Do you usually go to the dealer to do Road Force Balancing?
I've been using America Tires to balance all my tires for previous and current cars and they have been very good.
Old 04-19-17, 11:58 AM
Craig B

The dealer is the only one I know who has a Road Force machine. I always have my dealer replace my tires as well. I don't trust some of the tire shops, they've damaged my wheels in the past. If you have a tire shop you trust and they have a Road Force machine, go with them. If the vehicle is under any kind of warranty, I would take it back where you purchased it from.
Old 04-19-17, 01:46 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I've never had my tires "road force balanced" in my life and have never had a problem with vibrations at freeway speeds without it.
Not saying there is zero value to it, but my guess is you have a tire shop that is not properly balancing your existing tires is why you are having issues. I have returned to a tire shop after they had just balanced my tires because I was having vibration issues and the next tech admitted the previous one didn't do it properly.

I have also had tires that internally had an issue that was causing a vibration problem that was resolved when it was replace. I believe it was an internal steel belt separating.

If the only way you can go down the road without vibrations is with a road force balance, I think you are simply masking the issue with a bandaid and not addressing the underlying problem.

Sad to say, but not everyone that works for a tire shop is a trained, valued employee that takes pride in their work.
Old 04-19-17, 03:23 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Sorry to get off topic. Craig B, you ordered a 2018 LC 500 Performance Package (in your signature) ...Nice, I love that car. Keeping the GX? Congrats

Old 04-19-17, 05:23 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by tecman
Sorry to get off topic. Craig B, you ordered a 2018 LC 500 Performance Package (in your signature) ...Nice, I love that car. Keeping the GX? Congrats

Thanks, keeping the GX for sure, might be selling my LS 460. It was built March 31st and should be at the dealer on or before May 22nd.
Liquid Platinum/Black.
Old 04-23-17, 01:36 PM
StrannikMD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hunter Road Force balancers locator:

http://www.hunter.com/gsp9700
Old 04-23-17, 03:42 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Are we talking "Road Force Touch" or "Road Force Elite"?

Old 04-24-17, 09:55 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

If you need road force balancing on a GX460, something is seriously wrong with the rim or tire. I still own my hunter tire changing equipment from my days of owning a tire store and I would never waste my time road force balancing a wheel on an SUV or truck. The only time I've seen it be a significant help, was when something was seriously out of round and even then, like someone said, it was just a band aid. And just FYI, a road force balance includes a high speed balance, the force just tells the operator where to place the tire on the rim. Once the tire is located to the rim, a high speed balance is done.
Old 04-30-17, 03:45 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Vibration at 68mph

Two weeks ago I posted about having tires road force balanced because I was getting a vibration at a higher speeds than 60mph. My first shot to solve it was to have the tires road force balanced. The guys at the tireshop they looked very good after I had them balanced so now I'm puzzled.

the vibration starts at 68mph and is consistent all the way to 80mph.

Now im thinking it could be a component in the car, I have the air ride (13' where only the rear rises and lowers) and it happens in all settings (comfort, sport or normal).

do you think it could be a drive shaft? What kind of movement would I look for when I'm moving it? On an old Land Rover just a little bit 2mm of movement caused a huge vibration but that was at all speeds.

All insight welcome. thanks
Old 04-30-17, 03:57 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Might want to look through this thread...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...gh-speeds.html

Might be your rotors.... I think there is a TSB as well related to steering rack but that only affected up the '12s IIRC
Old 05-01-17, 08:26 AM
caesosa
Pole Position

Mine is a 13' so i don't know if that would be applicable. Brake's "should" be ok - no vibration there and they were recently changed.
Old 05-01-17, 04:51 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by caesosa
Mine is a 13' so i don't know if that would be applicable. Brake's "should" be ok - no vibration there and they were recently changed.
Rotors too? No one ever mentioned this to me during my years of frustration and it was the fix. I started getting some vibration since and went to Mr Tire/Goodyear for an oil change and I told them to rotate and balance. They informed me that a front wheel had a slight warp in it and it was moved to the rear so I probably wouldn't notice it. I did bump a curb pretty hard and I think my 2 piece wheels maybe more vulnerable to warp with doing this. It rides worse than before the rotation and balance now I am back to where I was before the rotor change.

I suspect a bad balance job this time as it is seat and stearing wheel vibrations. So frustrating
Old 05-01-17, 06:09 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Do you know when the last time all the zerks were greased in the drivetrain? I thought I remember some posts on the 4Runner forums about driveshaft vibration related inadequately lubricated grease points.
Old 05-01-17, 06:35 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

I don't. I can probably grease those myself and check for movement on the drive shaft. On the brakes there is no vibration at all when I break so I figure I can rule that out. All in all it feels very sensitive to minor nuances.

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Do you know when the last time all the zerks were greased in the drivetrain? I thought I remember some posts on the 4Runner forums about driveshaft vibration related inadequately lubricated grease points.

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues