GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Help! Just bought a GX 2010 premium. out of state and had it delivered. Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-17, 02:17 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay guys I have some good news. I dropped the car off at my mechanic thinking he can do an inspection (he can't because I don't have the registration yet). He looked over the truck topped off fluids, he said it's in GREAT shape. He fixed the parking sensor for me! So they work. He said the center console sucks and it sucks I got screwed but he said it's just cosmetic and worst case he could change it out... He said the car mechanically looks like it has no more then 50,000 miles!

Now here is the big issue. The ML CD/DVD changer does not work! I tried multiple CDs and DVDs and it looks like the disc doesn't fully get sucked into the mechanisms, I hear loud clicking and then it spits the disc back out! Ughhhh.

I did a search on here and couldn't find much on this issue. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this? There are RCA inputs in the mid row so I guess there's a way to get stuff to play in the back, but it would be great if it is seamless so with a hack it can be played both on the front and rear and for me to actually be able to listen to CDs (yes I still have them).

Would appreciate your help guys
Old 04-18-17, 03:18 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

In my experience once those changers go bad it basically requires a swap. I assume you were more interested in the video display piece as audio has alternative options like USB and BT.

Always a chance there is some 3rd party out there that fixes them though.
Old 04-18-17, 03:53 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I assume you are using the LOAD button on the changer? Good to hear the parking sensors got fixed for you.
Old 04-18-17, 04:29 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I had a 6 CD changer on my MDX. Worked fine for years and then I started getting the same clicking noise along with it ejecting cds. I had to hit the side console to get the internal mechanisms to work. Crappy fix, but give it a shot. You may need to find the perfect timing to bump the system. Play around with it.
Old 04-18-17, 05:18 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Thanks guys. Yes I was loosing the load button. BT is working great, just feels like I have TVs in the back that are a waste... Is there away to use my iPhone somehow to stream video to the headunit TV and the rear TV at the same time? I would rather spend money on something like that.

Is it stragith forward to take apart the changer? I have been doing lots of reading and it seems that the changer is actually separate from the rest of the system, maybe I could find something online?
Old 04-18-17, 05:28 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I don't think video streaming can be done via USB or BT but if anyone can claim otherwise please chime in. Really trying to ramp up quickly on this rig and I am far from the fountain of knowledge. :-) No idea on changer.

Just examples below but you may want to reach out to one of these sites on stereo repair. It appears to maybe be $300-$400 to repair

http://www.carstereohelp.com/lexus.htm
http://www.hitechserv.com/electronic...nger-repair/78
http://www.shortcircuitrepair.com/vehicles/lexus.htm

Unfortunately this is one of those things you are unlikely to find a complete teardown/fix writeup on and one may cause more damage in the process even with best intentions....so sending it out might be best option IMO...
Old 04-18-17, 06:48 PM
Todd6571
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did the sales guy get back to you? I suppose not. I thought it was at a Lexus dealer. As was said earlier, they knew of these defects. Warranty or not, they can't misrepresent their product. Keep all of your correspondence with them. Look for the clearest cases of deception. When you talk to them, being civil but firm will be most productive. I would insist on talking to the sales manager and/or the general manager. If they are uncooperative, the state Attorney General is a place to complain to. Maybe the BBB. Did you say they're a Cadillac dealer? Send Cadillac a letter. Google reviews on the dealership, and place a scathing one on the first one on the list. They should make this right, and they should know they won't hear the end of it until they do.

Isn't there a preference that turns off those front sensors? When we bought ours a number of the features were turned off in settings. The steering issue sounds similar to what Lane Keep Assist does, but it doesn't have that, right? Maybe an alignment.

Sorry you have to go through this. They're great trucks, and you'll like it when it's straightened out.
Old 04-18-17, 07:11 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Thanks Todd, thank you for your advice. I did not hear back from the Salesman yet. I contact him on his personal number as that's what I have. I will ask to speak to the sales manager tomorrow. I'll call them directly. Thanks for the advice. I didn't get my title yet but I paid TTL fees to them. Supposedly they said they are going to register the car for me even though they are in Texas and Im in NY. I'm worried if I complain to much they'll mess up the process on purpose, can they? The car was financed and they said I wont get the title.... This stinks, I'll call back tomorrow, thanks for the advice. Is it a good idea to "threaten" them if they don't go anywhere with reporting them to the BBB? All parking sensors work now, the mechanic fixed it by fixing the rear one.

Thanks guys, I guess I need to send it out for repair. $400 doesn't seem terrible. Is it straight forward to take it apart and remove the changer? I've only done oil changes on cars before so not super mechanically inclined
Old 04-19-17, 01:01 AM
vangx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious..and if u don't mind ...how much did you pay for the truck ? I'll
Old 04-19-17, 01:54 AM
Todd6571
Rookie

The sales guy will try to put you off, hoping you'll give up and go away. Moving up the chain of command right away is important. Be sure to have the specific reasons for your dissatisfaction prepared, and how you were told (is it in writing?) that the interior was in excellent condition when it quite obviously was not. Send the SM your pictures of the broken console. They may try the "why didn't you come and look at it" line, to which you can reply I thought I could rely on your good reputation as a Cadillac dealer. If you're telling me that's not the case, I'll make that clear in my online reviews and in my correspondence with Cadillac. I would hold off on any further threatened action until/unless it becomes obvious that they're not going to help you. Any action you take has to be legal, and it has to be truthful. That's why you need to look at any evidence you have of how they misrepresented the GX. It sounds like they should pay to fix the center console, the ML audio, and the sensor.

Unless they're completely unethical, there shouldn't be any problem getting the title. They may let it drag a little, hoping to worry you. I would follow up with them on that process, too. Anything that appears to be not right should be of great interest to the State Attorney General, and to Cadillac.

If they're smart, they'll realize that you're not going to go away quietly, and that it's best to pay for a few repairs so that you will. They might even cooperate. Good luck.
Old 04-19-17, 01:49 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Many if not most states have laws that basically force a dealership to give you a refund after a certain time period, usually before a couple weeks.

Check your laws and exercise them if you feel cheated.

But buying a car with around 200k miles sight unseen is a recipe for disaster and I would expect similar issues with other vehicles and that high of mileage. Just comes with the territory.
Old 04-19-17, 06:10 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Spoke to manager today he said he will see what he can do and will call me back. He gave me his cell to text him photos which I did.

He didn't call me back all day. Thinking I would call him tomorrow.

Car was serviced mostly at Lexus and Toyota so I figured what could be wrong? Didn't see any problems reported, salesman said car is in good shape and the interior is in good shape, looked good on the video he sent me of it. This was a Cadillac dealer not some mom and pop shop so I figured should be okay and trusted them.

Thanks for the video, it does look straight forward. I'll have to call them to find out what dash removal kit that they used
Old 04-19-17, 06:24 PM
Todd6571
Rookie

In your first post in your other thread about this GX you said it was coming from a Lexus dealer. How did that get mixed up? You ended up buying it from the Cadillac dealer? What manager did you talk to today? Was it the sales manager? You may find that he's unavailable to take your calls tomorrow. In which case you should call the general manager. I think it's also time to make contact with Cadillac. Any emails or phone messages you're sending to the dealership should be copied into Cadillac as well. Many major car dealerships care as much about their relationship with their brand as they do about their relationship with their customers.
Old 04-19-17, 08:04 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Todd, I think that was a different GX I was looking at, at the time. Thanks guys. I believe it was the GM that I spoke with yesterday and not the sales manager as "he was unavailable."

I will call them again tomorrow to try to get in touch with him again, and if I can't then I'll submit the contact-us form on the Cadillac web site. Guys thank you so much, what a great place to be. I wouldn't even know what to do if not for everyone here. I hope Contacting Cadillac that they may be able to help me somehow. I've never experienced anything like this before. I can't believe the manager never called me back today either and gave me his cell number to text photos too and did not reply to a single message

Last edited by maxse; 04-19-17 at 08:12 PM.