GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Help! Just bought a GX 2010 premium. out of state and had it delivered. Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-17, 07:22 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! Just bought a GX 2010 premium. out of state and had it delivered. Problems

Guys, I need some help please. 2010 premium 157,000 miles

I bought a car out of state it was serviced mostly at Lexus, clean carfax, and also at Toyota. The salesman took a video of the car which looked great and stated multiple times to me on the phone that the car is "mint"

1. I get the car today and I see the entire inside of the center console is completely cracked and it looks like a piece of wood veneer has been placed to hold it together!!! There are cracks everywhere and it was never mentioned! I don't know what could have caused this. What is usually in the center console? I don't know what to do, is this easy to replace? Seems like it all one part... Any thoughts?

2. Also, it seems like the parking assist system is broken. There is a sensor in the rear bumper that appeared pushed in. When I touched it it completely feel into the rear bumped. When I put the car in reverse it constantly beeps as if an obstacle is in the rear. Also, when I try to get close to a car in front of me it doesn't signal any obstacles on the front of the car no matter how close I get to something in front of me.

3. The display in front of the steering wheel only shows two wheels? Isn't it supposed to be always 4 wheels?

4. It seems that when the steering wheel is turned about 15 degrees (sightly) to the left or right there is a force that basically pushes the wheel back to the center position. The car also pulls to the right, not sure if that's related probably wheel alignment to address the car pulling to one side, but what about the force that pushes the steering wheel back to the center position, even when the car is still. My parents got a 2007 gx470 and this doesn't happen.

I am really bummed about this. I am attaching the pictures, can someone make any comments?
Attached Thumbnails Help! Just bought a GX 2010 premium. out of state and had it delivered. Problems-img_4991.jpg   Help! Just bought a GX 2010 premium. out of state and had it delivered. Problems-img_4992.jpg  
Old 04-17-17, 07:37 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,573 Likes on 2,339 Posts

#1: It should be just solid plastic. I think mine has a removable felt mat at bottom. There is also a tray that sits at top when you open the cover. It does look like that console is all one piece.

https://www.mylparts.com/auto-parts/...r-console-scat

#2: That sensor being pushed in on rear is most certainly the cause of rear malfunction. I don't know enough about system to troubleshoot why front isn't working. I've only had mine for 3 weeks now.

#3: Normal. That is how that works. It is just supposed to show steering wheel direction.

#4: You will likely need an alignment for the pull issue. Does that force issue also occur while vehicle is sitting still and you turn wheel?
Old 04-17-17, 07:46 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

The issue with the wheel being almost pushed back to the center also occurs during stand still. Is it supposed to be this way? Also with the breaks it seems like it doesn't stop the car right away. Difficult to describe compared to the Gx470, it's almost like the car lunges forward.

Wow so that part is $550 or so dollars and doesn't even include the labor huh? I was planning on taking it to Lexus to do a 120K service and to change the spark plugs. I'm assuming they will charge me a ton of money to fix the sensor issue? Any advice? Should I take it to Toyota for the sensors?

Also, the armrests dont seem to pop open. Are they supposed to open up?

Other then that the car seems to drive smooth.
Old 04-17-17, 07:55 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 820 Likes on 570 Posts

Yea, that is normal
That is messed up. The seller knew this was there.
Old 04-17-17, 08:01 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Anything odd show for vehicle at this site?

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/vehicle/land.php

Mine doesn't have steering issue like you describe. ....Although I would have to pay attention as 15 degrees isn't an extreme amount off center. Not sure I would consider this a problem.

Brakes on these do seem to require extra pressure before activation but they do solidly stop vehicle.
Old 04-17-17, 08:10 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

You could likely find the part for cheaper in a wrecking yard. Correct.. these are just parts. No idea what dealer would charge for installation.

Noticing this one for sale looks like rear climate control may be on part as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Lexus-GX4...-/391503452869
Old 04-17-17, 08:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I wonder what that wiring is all about under the board?
Old 04-17-17, 08:31 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 820 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I wonder what that wiring is all about under the board?
OP mentioned TVs in the back on the "2010 GX460 with 160,000 miles" post #20.
Old 04-17-17, 08:43 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Thanks guys. I just can't comprehend how they could have cracked this. And also super pissed that the dealership did not disclose this to me, stating that the interior is in really good shape in the video that they sent me...

I'm more concerned with the parking sensory issue. Anyone know how much this may cost me to fix? Do you guys think the front sensors aren't making noise because they are overwhelmed by the rear broken one? Is this something I should have Lexus look at?

Steering is hard to describe. Even when parked, if I slight turn the wheel about 15 degrees to either side, it's like there is powered force that rotates it back to the center, really weird.

Also, are the armrests supposed to flip open up? When I depress the lever they just won't open and I can't get them to open no matter what.

-the door hinge that covers the cup holders gets stuck. I have to push in to unlock it, but also have to push on the back part of the door to get it to slide open? Is this an easy fix?

I guess this is a good lesson for me not to buy a car without physically looking at it and not to trust even big car dealerships... Really hoping you guys can guide me in the right direction with this. Truck feels solid otherwise, shifts smooth and the engine is super quiet.

Oh yea, and also I only got one key it the key is gray in color. Is this the Valet Key? I'm thinking it's not even a master...
On my parent's Gx470 I have techstream and it was really easy and cheap to get a key from 1010keys on ebay and program it with the techstream. Is this just as easy to do on this car?
Old 04-18-17, 06:31 AM
maxse
Pit Crew

OMG guys what a nightmare. I tried to put a CD into the slot. I press load, the light turns green, I insert the CD and it just clicks and then the CD pops out.

It's a CD-R. I also tried this with a DVD-R and it goes in and then spits the disc out. Does this mean that the changer is broken too?
Old 04-18-17, 06:36 AM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Seems to me that buying used, requires a personal inspection. Or at least an inspection by someone without a vested interest. then When I buy used, I EXPECT, the previous owner, knowing they were going to replace soon, didn't keep up with anything. I want to know what I have, so a thorough going over it before relying on it to get me home is required. That means, all fluids changed. All hoses changed, Belts/ serpentine changed. Probably brakes as well. If it has CV boots, do those too. You may even need new brake lines, depending on where the car is from. The rubber portion for sure, if its over 10 yrs old. Don't want anything rubber left over to fail when its not convenient. Plugs, wires, coil overs etc. All needs to be brought back to reliable/new condition. That's the only way to really know what you've got. Then expect some wear and tear, like your console. After all, It's been used, it will have some of that. I have never been a new car buyer, so that's been my recipe for buying used. After thoroughly going through it, you now know its going to be as reliable as you can make it.
The following users liked this post:
Craigyyy (04-18-17)
Old 04-18-17, 07:28 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

This is why you need to personally inspect a vehicle, or have a third party do it for you. The salesman is the last person you can trust.

Also, when a car has that many miles, lots of things are worn out, broken or missing. This is very typical.

Again, this car was $60k or even $70k new depending on options. Getting it for $18k with 160k miles, it's not going to be a mint vehicle.

You could either try to return it, cut your losses and try to trade it on something else, or keep it and fix the stuff that bothers you.
Old 04-18-17, 10:34 AM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If the drive train is solid, bringing it up to your standards would probably be my vote. Depends on how much you spent buying it of course. But if it was treated well by the previous owner, it could have many good miles left in it. But when you buy used, you just need to figure in the costs associated with bringing it up to acceptable standards. The second hundred thousand miles, is most often the cheapest, after you figure in depreciation etc. Will there be some bigger maintenance bills, sure, but EVERYTHING else is so much cheaper that it more than makes up for it. If you can't do the work yourself, then maybe it doesn't make sense. Only you can decide that one. I always figure on at least 3 days sorting it all out when I buy a used vehicle. Then add the price of parts, and I figure that in the purchase price. Then decide if the transportation value is still there. Another good part of doing that is, you now understand your vehicle better. You know how solid the brakes are, because you just did them yourself. You know it won't blow a heater hose next summer, because you just changed them, you know it won't need a tune up for the next 50k miles, because you just did it. You also know, next winter when its -10F it will get you home, because you made sure all the battery cables were in good shape, etc. You know it won't strand you on the blistering summer day this summer whne your headed to the mountains for the weekend. Etc. It's all good, because you made it so. And you now know how it all works, so when something is amiss, you'll know it soon enough, to take care of it before its an issue.
Old 04-18-17, 11:42 AM
maxse
Pit Crew

Thanks guys. Believe me I have learned my lesson. I just figured it was a Texas car so no salt, just highway miles, the salesman took a nice video of it said car is in great shape. I saw it had it's oil changes all done at Lexus the most recent one being 10,000 miles ago and they received the car as a trade in. This is a reputable American Brand car Dealer, (Cadillac) not some mom and pop so I figured, what could possibly go wrong, especially after reading how reliable these vehicles are... I just can't believe this wasn't mentioned to me, at ALL!

Anyone have this issue with the Mark Levinson CD changer spitting out the CDs/DVDs back. Could this be a straight forward fix or does the entire head unit need to be replaced? This makes the TVs in the back headrests completely useless right I won't be able to stream video to them from my iPhone correct? There's no way to add an input for that?I'm worried that if I take it to Lexus they are going to say that I need to replace the ML headunit which is going to cost me a pretty penny I'm sure.... Any advise would be appreciated... Selling the car isn't an option because I need one right now and this was financed. The drive train seems really smooth and I can barely hear the engine

I called the saleman who said he was unaware of ANY of these issues, but said that he will talk to his manager and then get back to me later today. Although I'm not really sure what I can do since I signed for it as-is out of warranty?

Last edited by maxse; 04-18-17 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-18-17, 01:26 PM
Surfishing
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you sure you don't have RCA type inputs below your mid row HVAC controls?

Quick Reply: Help! Just bought a GX 2010 premium. out of state and had it delivered. Problems