GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Suspension Noise Only When Turning Left Over Bumpy Roads

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 08:22 AM
broc3572
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Noise Only When Turning Left Over Bumpy Roads

Hi everyone. I have a 2010 GX 460 and I have a squeaking suspension noise that only happens when I make a left hand turn over bumpy roads. The sound is more of a subtle high pitched squeaking noise rather than the typical loud creaking Toyota SUV noise when you turn the wheel all the way (I have had 3 4 Runners). It happens when I turn left at a stop light, into a subdivision or stuff like that. I have had it at the Lexus dealer multiple times and they cannot seem to diagnose the issue. I drove with the technician and he could hear the noise, but they could not figure it out. It is still under the Certified warranty, but outside the drivetrain warranty that covers noise. They are going to charge me $150 per hour to try and figure it out further. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Broc
Old 04-10-17, 09:29 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

My "shoot from the hip" would be something like the front sway bar bushings, which are really cheap. Like $8 in parts and it's a quick job.

It just seems to add up in that its a squeaking noise and it only happens in turns, but I don't like "shotgunning" parts at a problem. A "squeak" tells me it's rubber, but it could also be the sway bar links have worn out and that's why the there is so much squeaking from the bar that's held by the rubber bushings.

The other thing it could be are the strut mounts that are rubber on top and when they get old, they start squeaking against the body. But that would usually be a noise that was over every bump, not just when you were turning.

If you can get the front end up off the ground and get underneath it, grabbing certain parts of the suspension moving them around and trying to replicate the noise can track it down. You also could maybe get some silicone spray and apply it to the rubber parts you suspect and see if the noise goes away.

I wouldn't pay the Lexus dealer to track it down if already they are saying they don't know and want $150 an hour to start looking. Take it somewhere else like a suspension shop.
Old 04-10-17, 10:00 AM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

The silicone spray, or WD-40 is a good idea. I would do one rubber bushing at a time, drive it on the exact spot it makes the noise. See if after application of the "rubber lube" it goes away. Then go to the next probable rubber culprit, etc. until you find it. Does it do it after driving in the rain, or water? But I agree, its probably just some suspension rubber that is dry.
Old 05-07-17, 01:53 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I had exactly the same noise in my GX! It happened when I turned and when I went over large objects. I tried to find and fix it myself, but gave up and went to a Lexus dealer. I drove around in the parking lot with a technician, and he immediately told me to stop! He got out, adjusted the front hood stops (rubber bumpers under the front edge of the front hood) and the noise was/is gone. The technician said he's seen it on a lot of GX's.
So.... try adjusting those rubber hood bumpers up just a bit (so your hood fits tighter) and see if that works for you.
Old 05-07-17, 01:54 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by kroorda
I had exactly the same noise in my GX! It happened when I turned and when I went over large objects. I tried to find and fix it myself, but gave up and went to a Lexus dealer. I drove around in the parking lot with a technician, and he immediately told me to stop! He got out, adjusted the front hood stops (rubber bumpers under the front edge of the front hood) and the noise was/is gone. The technician said he's seen it on a lot of GX's.
So.... try adjusting those rubber hood bumpers up just a bit (so your hood fits tighter) and see if that works for you.

Great tip!!! I haven't run into this with mine but will file this one away. How many miles do you have on your GX?
Old 08-05-20, 09:49 AM
sinistar
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad I found this thread, as I've been experiencing the exact same symptom on my 2014 GX. And I just had it at the dealer for the fuel pump recall service and asked them to look into this noise (I stopped short of paying them $179 for a dedicated inspection though), and they did not find anything, nor did they have any ideas based on the problem description I provided, which is exactly what the OP described here. I just went and adjusted the rubber bumpers for the hood and will see if that resolves the issue. Will be great if that's the root cause, because I was fearing it would be a more expensive suspension issue.