GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Differential and Transfer Case Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18, 05:49 AM
MGD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed out my differentials back in the fall with RedLine 75-85 and am getting ready to do transfer case as soon as the golden fluid arrives. Are you all transferring oil from can to a bottle to save the remainder of your oil for future changes (hoping to get two exchanges out of 3 liters)? or are you discarding due to the likely long time before the next change? I know it's not a huge decision if the oil were regular priced...
Old 03-05-18, 06:45 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

I discarded it all... will be a few years before I get around to it again so will just order fresh fluid at that time.
Old 03-05-18, 01:58 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I have still have the extra but not sure I will save for future.
Old 03-06-18, 04:17 AM
MGD
Driver School Candidate

so I just went to buy the transfer case crush washers yesterday... $3.99 each from my local dealer. Do yourself a favor and buy the entire differential/transfer case washer kit off Amazon or eBay for $10.
Old 03-06-18, 02:19 PM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Just a comment on a past experience substituting aftermarket synthetics for OE Factory Fill fluids...Years ago I had a Corvette with a ZF 6 speed trans. The forums were peppered with Redline, Amsoil etc. etc. aftermarket synthetic "recommendations". There were many who had various types of transmission issues as a result. Not 100%, but a sufficient population to question the wisdom of deviating from the OE product. I had it on good authority from a then Corvette Challenge driver and team owner, to ONLY use "Factory Fill" in the ZF. He was adamant that the life of the ZF would be severely compromised using anything else. Sometime down the road as the C4 Corvettes got long in the tooth, I believe that GM had stopped having whatever oil company make it for them. If I'm not mistaken, there was a BMW transmission fluid that was recommended by ZF that worked fine.

I'm not stating that the circumstances are the same with Toyota factory fill fluids, but for my $$, it would seem a bit dicey to use anything else because we think it's better, and or cheaper. Just FWIW. Good luck on your major service job.
Old 03-07-18, 06:49 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Hrocks
Just a comment on a past experience substituting aftermarket synthetics for OE Factory Fill fluids...Years ago I had a Corvette with a ZF 6 speed trans. The forums were peppered with Redline, Amsoil etc. etc. aftermarket synthetic "recommendations". There were many who had various types of transmission issues as a result. Not 100%, but a sufficient population to question the wisdom of deviating from the OE product. I had it on good authority from a then Corvette Challenge driver and team owner, to ONLY use "Factory Fill" in the ZF. He was adamant that the life of the ZF would be severely compromised using anything else. Sometime down the road as the C4 Corvettes got long in the tooth, I believe that GM had stopped having whatever oil company make it for them. If I'm not mistaken, there was a BMW transmission fluid that was recommended by ZF that worked fine.

I'm not stating that the circumstances are the same with Toyota factory fill fluids, but for my $$, it would seem a bit dicey to use anything else because we think it's better, and or cheaper. Just FWIW. Good luck on your major service job.
As you point out, it's all circumstantial evidence, but at the same time, I wouldn't put diffs in the same category as a transmission or Tcase for my own personal needs. And I think you see that difference in this thread and some others - putting a solid GL5 alternative (i.e., Redline) in your diffs is going to be just fine, but with transmissions and transfer cases (especially manual transmissions), it's not as wise an idea to experiment outside of factory recommendations.
Old 03-11-18, 08:17 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Just ordered two cans of Toyota TC gold fluid and 5 quarts of Amsoil Severe 75w-90. I was thinking of Redline 75w-85 but decided to go with Amsoil instead.
I just drained and filled the Osyssey with Redline ATF a
nd it is shifting really smooth but for the GX, I will probably let the dealer do it if needed to.
Old 03-12-18, 07:29 AM
MGD
Driver School Candidate

I just finished transfer case drain and fill with Toyota Gold. If anyone is in upstate S.C. and wants my last 1/2 qt, it’s yours!

FYI, the original fluid was almost immaculately clean.
Old 03-12-18, 10:45 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Some interesting info regarding Transfer Case Fluid (sorry if it has posted before)

http://carspecmn.com/toyota-and-lexu...rential-fluids.

"Unique to a few 2010+ SUVs (4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser, GX460, LX570) is the 75w synthetic LF transfer case fluid. Unfortunately the fluid is only made by Toyota for these applications and is considerably more expensive than the 75w85 synthetic LT/LX. "
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 01:13 PM
MGD
Driver School Candidate

wanted to attach virgin oil analyses from bobistheoilguy.com re: the Toyota Transfer Case Gear Oil LF, Royal Purple Synchromax, and Ravenol MTF-3 75W. The second two actually list themselves as being suitable alternatives to the Toyota product, but you will see their additive amounts are very different. I didn't find any other aftermarket oil claiming compatibility with LF.

Toyota LF
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...pics/4389571/2

Royal Purple Synchromax
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub.../posts/1541848

Ravenol MTF-3
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...pics/4389571/1 (near the bottom of page 1 -- the Toyota LF fluid is actually on page 2 of this thread)
Old 03-12-18, 03:38 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Does Toyota use/require that LF fluid in their manual transmissions? That's the only way it would make sense to me. Making a high dollar, highly fortified 75W gear oil for transfer cases seems extremely wasteful and unnecessary. But it would make a bit more sense if these were for manual boxes as well.
Old 03-12-18, 04:04 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

'18 Tacoma

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...f/OM04017U.pdf

Old 08-18-18, 02:27 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Looks like rear diff

Old 08-18-18, 02:36 PM