Old 04-15-17, 01:20 PM   #16
Acrad35751
Driver

I hear ya... I feel the same way.
Acrad35751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-17, 07:54 PM   #17
NewB2Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Lifetime fluid = good until warranty runs out !
NewB2Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewB2Lexus For This Useful Post:
Craigyyy (04-17-17)
Old 04-17-17, 02:22 PM   #18
Craigyyy
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus View Post
Lifetime fluid = good until warranty runs out !
+1

Ain't broke don't fix it.

I suppose over 100k it might be something to consider, but even then it's not in the maintenance schedule.
Craigyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 09:56 PM   #19
dereswyman
Driver School Candidate

Took my GX into the dealer today for the transmission fluid but ended up doing the diffs and transfer case fluids. You can use the same Toyota 75w-85 diff fluid in the transfer case without issue.
dereswyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 11:44 PM   #20
bbqsoup
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereswyman View Post
Took my GX into the dealer today for the transmission fluid but ended up doing the diffs and transfer case fluids. You can use the same Toyota 75w-85 diff fluid in the transfer case without issue.
Did you end up change the transmission, diffs and transfer case too? Can I ask how much did the dealer charge?
Also did the dealer put 75w-85 into the TC?
bbqsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 06:32 AM   #21
Acrad35751
Driver

I've seen enough debate on other forums about this Torsen diff fluid needs and know dealerships sometimes will put in "good enough" fluids that I am going to stick with this gold fluid.... why? Well I already bought it :-) and not likely to change again for 5 or more years. I want to give this vehicle the best opportunity to last and perform like new. There must be something to Toyota designating a different standalone weight fluid for the TC. Maybe something as simple as fuel economy... or maybe engagement times? I simply don't know.... and I will say... there are certainly good service departments out there but there are a lot of bad ones as well with relatively inexperienced mechanics. I've also been told too many lies over the years by service departments when I knew the truth 100%.

I'm not stating that the diff fluid will be detrimental to the TC because frankly I don't know... I've so far seen too many people go... yeah... if you have part time TC it's the same on all... oh... you have the full time.. I'd go with stock or just not sure.

I had to dig into old threads here to discover the AT cooler is within the radiator. My dealer seems to hold onto some urban legend apparently that only GXs with factory installed hitches had them. Perhaps this was the case with the GX 470... not sure.
Acrad35751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 10:29 AM   #22
NewB2Lexus
Driver School Candidate

I don't think putting differential oil into the TC is a good idea. TCs generally take some sort of ATF. Also transfer cases, unlike the AT, are less "sensitive" to the actual fluid and gives you more slack of what you may use. I personally agree with Acrad, unless your GX shows mechanical problems and you don't care about what fluid you use I would use the golden fluid.

There are also debates whether the 75-85 can be safely substituted with 75-90 gear oil. The mobil 1 75-90 appears to be too thin to be used in these differentials and if I decided to go with the non-OEM fluid, which is about $30 per bottle, I would either go with the Amsoil or LucasOil. I use the Lucas one in another SUV which calls for 75-85 and I noticed no difference.

If you compare the LucasOil and the Amsoil, the first one has slightly higher viscosity than the Amsoil, which is what you want when replacing the 75-85. If I was regularly towing with the GX I would go with the OEM fluid or would shorten milage between changes if using the non-OEM fluid.
Attached Thumbnails
Differential and Transfer Case Fluid Change-lucas.jpg  
NewB2Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote