Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,554 Likes on 2,328 Posts

I hear ya... I feel the same way.
Old 04-15-17, 07:54 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Lifetime fluid = good until warranty runs out !
The following 3 users liked this post by NewB2Lexus:
Craigyyy (04-17-17), IanB2 (06-01-21), Rick111 (07-03-22)
Old 04-17-17, 02:22 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
Lifetime fluid = good until warranty runs out !
+1

Ain't broke don't fix it.

I suppose over 100k it might be something to consider, but even then it's not in the maintenance schedule.
Old 04-20-17, 09:56 PM
dereswyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Took my GX into the dealer today for the transmission fluid but ended up doing the diffs and transfer case fluids. You can use the same Toyota 75w-85 diff fluid in the transfer case without issue.
The following users liked this post:
texas008 (11-17-21)
Old 04-20-17, 11:44 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by dereswyman
Took my GX into the dealer today for the transmission fluid but ended up doing the diffs and transfer case fluids. You can use the same Toyota 75w-85 diff fluid in the transfer case without issue.
Did you end up change the transmission, diffs and transfer case too? Can I ask how much did the dealer charge?
Also did the dealer put 75w-85 into the TC?
Old 04-21-17, 06:32 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I've seen enough debate on other forums about this Torsen diff fluid needs and know dealerships sometimes will put in "good enough" fluids that I am going to stick with this gold fluid.... why? Well I already bought it :-) and not likely to change again for 5 or more years. I want to give this vehicle the best opportunity to last and perform like new. There must be something to Toyota designating a different standalone weight fluid for the TC. Maybe something as simple as fuel economy... or maybe engagement times? I simply don't know.... and I will say... there are certainly good service departments out there but there are a lot of bad ones as well with relatively inexperienced mechanics. I've also been told too many lies over the years by service departments when I knew the truth 100%.

I'm not stating that the diff fluid will be detrimental to the TC because frankly I don't know... I've so far seen too many people go... yeah... if you have part time TC it's the same on all... oh... you have the full time.. I'd go with stock or just not sure.

I had to dig into old threads here to discover the AT cooler is within the radiator. My dealer seems to hold onto some urban legend apparently that only GXs with factory installed hitches had them. Perhaps this was the case with the GX 470... not sure.
Beachy (03-06-19)
Old 04-21-17, 10:29 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't think putting differential oil into the TC is a good idea. TCs generally take some sort of ATF. Also transfer cases, unlike the AT, are less "sensitive" to the actual fluid and gives you more slack of what you may use. I personally agree with Acrad, unless your GX shows mechanical problems and you don't care about what fluid you use I would use the golden fluid.

There are also debates whether the 75-85 can be safely substituted with 75-90 gear oil. The mobil 1 75-90 appears to be too thin to be used in these differentials and if I decided to go with the non-OEM fluid, which is about $30 per bottle, I would either go with the Amsoil or LucasOil. I use the Lucas one in another SUV which calls for 75-85 and I noticed no difference.

If you compare the LucasOil and the Amsoil, the first one has slightly higher viscosity than the Amsoil, which is what you want when replacing the 75-85. If I was regularly towing with the GX I would go with the OEM fluid or would shorten milage between changes if using the non-OEM fluid.
Attached Thumbnails Differential and Transfer Case Fluid Change-lucas.jpg  
Rick111 (07-03-22)
Old 05-02-17, 04:25 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I think I might be doing this project on Saturday.
Old 05-05-17, 12:19 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Call me OC :-)... but haven't had to deal with oil cans (OEM Toyota transfer case fluid) in a long time and want to ensure there isn't a chance of metal flake contamination from a can opener.

I ordered a CanKey

EDIT: A couple Cankey order sites
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...lickkey=372120
http://www.skygeek.com/turbine-oil-can-opener.html

Last edited by Acrad; 11-15-17 at 02:50 AM.
DPA200 (01-18-20)
Old 05-06-17, 08:42 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by dereswyman
Going to be following this to see how it goes. I'll be bringing my GX in next week to the dealer for a drain and fill on the transmission but would much rather do the diff and such on my own if possible. Lexus Seattle charges $140 for the transmission service, Tacoma and Bellevue (same auto group family) won't touch it because "sealed unit".

On my LS that also has the "sealed" transmission, like 2-3 Lexus dealers refused to change the fluid. I didn't want to do it myself because you're supposed to use Techstream to properly set the temperature. I usually do just a drain and fill myself. But I'm at around 175k miles with no issues and no records that the transmission fluid have ever been changed.

I just decided to take Lexus word on lifetime and the fact that several dealers turned away an opportunity to make money seems to indicate to me they have some fears about doing it that probably go beyond urban legend.

I just know in the LS forum, there are almost no transmission problems, but when there are, it almost always starts with "I just had the transmission fluid changed..."

I'm the type that would rather have an easy to service transmission, but Lexus really seems to have gone in the direction where they don't want you messing with them.
DJJJ (07-26-21)
Old 05-06-17, 09:22 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I personally wouldn't do anything with transmission fluid past 100K miles.... just leave it alone. Servicing at that point would probably be asking for trouble. I don't have any reservations with vehicles under 50K miles with just a drain and fill myself. Maybe these are just well built transmissions that aren't as susceptible to issues with dirty/worn fluid as other makes.

I did the front and rear diff this morning. Between taking my time, getting tools out and cleanup it was around 3 hours. One could always do it a lot faster but just wanted to be sure it was done right.

EDIT: Actually it was just a little bit over 2 hours.. I thought I started earlier than I did.
EDIT2: #10 Allen on front diff fill/drain - The rear diff was a 15/16 or 24MM socket on both fill and drain

• Drain and fill bolts were not difficult to remove / the typical reminder to always remove fill first
• Fluid overall pretty clean looking
• Fluids weren't at fill line ... but this isn't atypical today on stock fluid
• Rear drain magnet seemed to only have light coating of material attached to it.
• Front magnet was fairly substantial in coating
• Rear diff took 3 quarts but could just be overhead of fluid in pump and a little left in bottle.
• Front took a little over 1.5 quarts.
• One should be fine with 5 quart purchase
• Front skids are the hardest part. I use a jack stand to help support them when removing and replacing.
• Placed vehicle on (4) 12K lb Rhino ramps

Nothing will need to be removed for transfer case.

Just a few thoughts before I drive off for a test drive.

Last edited by Acrad; 05-06-17 at 11:19 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Acrad:
bowhun2r (08-23-23), IanB2 (06-01-21), KCEastEd (10-26-18), texas008 (12-03-21), tonyjh63 (06-28-20)
Old 05-12-17, 03:13 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

CanKey showed up this week but might defer the TC change to following weekend. Gonna do the rear disc pads tomorrow. Wow... those front pads are the easiest pads I have ever swapped.
Old 05-19-17, 01:33 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Changed transfer case fluid today.

• I put up on my Rhino ramps and had lots of extra space
• Going under vehicle on passenger side is the way to go on this
• Fill and drain are facing the rear of the vehicle.
• 24mm for both... both removed easily
• Fluid was still in good shape and still quite translucent
• About on ease as of rear diff...perhaps even easier
• As I have seen elsewhere no magnet on drain plug. I was expecting this

----> This is definitely not gear oil used in a diff... it is "thin" stuff. I'm glad I bought the golden fluid!!!!!

It's now gonna be years before diffs and TC are swapped with fluids....unless I make a really unexpected stream crossing
texas008 (12-03-21)
Old 05-23-17, 07:29 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Interesting. I can't really imagine a noticeable difference between 75w85 and 75w gear oil. If anything, the straight 75w should be thicker but it's pretty subjective. Did you notice if there was a GL rating on the Toyota TC fluid? Typically manual transmissions (and some TC's) require GL4 gear oil because the standard GL5 oils used in the diffs can be harmful to synchro's in transmissions. Older cars sometimes ask for GL4 in the transmission and TC, and GL5 in the diffs. But it's surely safer to stick with Toyota's recommendation for gear oil if you aren't sure.

I've seen the front diff bolts get sticky on Toyotas if the fluid runs for a long time, and it's not hard to strip the front drain and fill bolts if you're not careful. A useful trick (if your truck is older and/or has a lot of corrosion on the under body) is to put the hex head socket into the bolt and tap it a couple of times (firm, but not hard) to loosen up the threads. Then pull it with a wrench.
Old 05-23-17, 07:41 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Unfortunately no GL rating on the can. It says it was made by EMG Marketing Godo Kaisha

"
EMG Marketing Godo Kaisha markets and distributes petroleum and petrochemical product. Its products include motor oil, gasoline, jet fuel, kerosene, diesel fuel, fuel oil, lubricants, LPG, paraffin wax, and asphalt. The company was formerly known as ExxonMobil Yugen Kaisha and changed its name to EMG Marketing Godo Kaisha in May 2012. The company was founded in 1961 and is based in Tokyo, Japan. As of June 1, 2012, EMG Marketing Godo Kaisha operates as a subsidiary of TonenGeneral Sekiyu k.k."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Differential and Transfer Case Fluid Change