GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

How do you disable dash lights after removing air suspension/AHC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 12:10 PM
OMEGX460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb How do you disable dash lights after removing air suspension/AHC?

Posting for a friend who doesn't have good internet skills... He just lifted his 2011 GX 460 Premium with Old Man Emu springs and shocks and removed the rear air suspension with the help of the MetalTech conversion kit. He loves the extra height and thinks that it rides better than the factory setup but he and his local mechanic can't figure out how to disable the dash lights/warning messages about the (now removed) rear air bag suspension. I've searched all over this forum and the internet and can't find an answer on how to do this on the GX 460. I downloaded the owner's manual and found that there are three easily identifiable fuses to the system:

In the engine compartment fuse box:

Number 2 - 50 Amp - Air Suspension System
Number 20 - 7.5 Amp - Air Suspension ECU

In the driver's side fuse box:

Number 5 - 20 Amp - Air Suspension System

They've tried removing those three fuses but the dash lights/warnings persist. This thread talks about how to do this on the GX 470: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/whe...-relay.800441/ They mention a TEMS (?) fuse and an air suspension relay that also need to be pulled but I haven't been able to find anything describing the equivalent on the GX 460 and I don't have access to a factory service manual. If anybody knows how to disable those dash lights/warnings on a GX 460 it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-23-18, 08:10 PM
hkwan003
Driver School Candidate

Hi

Would you be able to let me know the process of disabling the dash lights too. I am having the same issue. Thank You
Old 02-23-18, 11:08 PM
Fadi
10th Gear

Try reset the vsc
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...rol-light.html

Also check this video
Old 04-17-18, 10:07 PM
Eliris
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am thinking of buying a gx460 with ~100k miles on it, and am debating weather to get it with or without the air suspension and accompanying adjustable shocks (i.e. the premium or the base). I will not lift it or do any extreme off-roading, but i do want to take it to some remote beach locations only accessible by 4x4, maybe once a month. Most of my driving time i will be commuting.

So, since i will have to replace the shocks pretty soon regardless of which way i go, i know that the non adjustables are straightforward, with Bilstein 4600 for example. Do you know the Bilstein part numbers for the front shock? The rear is the 24-187558 (4600-B6) or 33-187174 (5100-B8) - shared with the 4Runner. Are the fronts 24-187541 & 24-196499 also shared with the 4-runner?

My simple question is whether i can forfeit the adjustable shocks (for obvious $$$ reasons) and replace them with the same 4600s i would use without the adjustable. Are they compatible with the premium (i.e will they work) or will there will there be a problem or interference with any of the rest of the suspension (like the airbags, the kdss, or will it mess up the electronic brains of the adjustable shocks - maybe i just pull a fuse and problem solved... I dont know). In short, Anybody riding non-lifted airbags with aftermarket shocks? I'd prefer a permanent sportier/slightly stiffer ride anyway.

Also, any recommendadtions on aftermarket airsprings/bags? Are they worth the savings or should i go with oem? I figure they will need replacing soon as well.

An added plus of the premium btw is the mark levinson sound system which only appears to come with the air suspension. I have tried both audio systems, and while the ML sounds fantastic, the standard w 9 speakers is pretty decent as well, and i could live with it.... I am very much into good quality music sound, and since i spend countless hours in traffic, i weigh this as well.

Anywho, Any insights on neutralizing the adjustable shocks are appreciated.

Last edited by Eliris; 04-17-18 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-03-18, 06:47 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

This is being asked on GXOR... on air suspension deletes what is everyone doing to remove the dash warning as two relays and fuse don't seem to make it go away?
Old 05-26-18, 08:46 AM
loumas
Driver School Candidate

Curious is there have been any new developments for this? I’ve been on the hunt for a GX for several months now and have passed on several nice AHC/driver support package equipped trucks because there didn’t seem to be a good solution for disabling AHC.

What is the behavior once the AHC is ripped out? Is it just a light that flashes in the gauge cluster, along with the associated codes through ODB II? Or does it go into some sort of limp mode like the LXs?

Also so would be curious to know if anyone has contacted Metal-tech or any other vendors that sell the conversion kits. Metal-tech does have instructions online but those appear to be for the GX 470.
Old 05-26-18, 09:04 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

EDIT: Since these systems are bundled from a troubleshooting perspective in FSM this may be the error message for both AHC/AVS. Just speculation though.

No limp mode.

So few have converted the 460 AHC/AVS models that info may be harder to find. Most lifted right now aside from the red one on GXOR are '10-'13 Base or '14+ Base or Premium. The guy on GXOR had an AFS malfunction come up when relays were removed IIRC.. this is for the active headlights.

Not taking any of the relays would generate messages on the gauge cluster screen for the bags. Not sure offhand if there is a warning for the shocks. I'm not changing around my AHC/AVS for quite some time.

Last edited by Acrad; 05-26-18 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-26-18, 09:08 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Suspension control ECU is located in following location

Last edited by Acrad; 11-09-18 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-26-18, 09:34 AM
Eliris
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So I bought a GX460 premium with airbags and adjustable shocks. I want to keep the airbags, but eventually replace the adjustable shocks with bilsteins - i dont want to lift.

What i did to see if there is a problem by replacing the adjustable shocks is I setbthe shocks to sport/stiff mode and just unplugged the electrical connector to the rear shocks about 1000 miles ago, and so far the car hasnt noticed the change - no warning lights anywhere.

As for the front, i havent done anything yet, so dont know.
Old 05-26-18, 10:29 AM
loumas
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the good info and data points, guys.

I wonder if suspension ECU could be unplugged (if the body/upstream ECU is the same on all models) and have the messages go away, though I’m sure someone’s tried that before. Probably some work in Techstream would be needed a la crawl control/MTS. Just wild guesses here since I don’t have a GX or FSM to look at.

I had thought @sutnaipics on Instagram’s GX was a luxury model, but going back and looking again, he doesn’t have the air suspension switches.
Old 05-26-18, 11:22 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

There is this note on suspension control ECU replacement.

Old 05-29-18, 09:46 AM
downshift1
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

In my 470 I found pulling the fuses combined with pulling the relay is what shut the lights off
Old 09-26-18, 10:00 PM
GreX10
Driver School Candidate

Hi. I've seen you respond to a post some time ago.
Do you know how to disable those dash lights/warnings on a GX 460?
I've removed 2 fuses and a relay in the engine compartment related to air suspension.
I cannot locate the TEMS 20A fuse in the driver compartment. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-26-18, 10:08 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Might be related to this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10277518

Originally Posted by GreX10
Hi. I've seen you respond to a post some time ago.
Do you know how to disable those dash lights/warnings on a GX 460?
I've removed 2 fuses and a relay in the engine compartment related to air suspension.
I cannot locate the TEMS 20A fuse in the driver compartment. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
derp1qwert (11-08-18)
Old 11-21-18, 01:30 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

This is what has been determined so far from a GXOR thread. If you have a AVS/RAHC model ----> '10-'13 Premium and '14+ Luxury and you intend to put a lift on it which removes the bags and shocks you need to do the following:

• Do not remove any fuses related to the suspension system
• Do not remove any relays related to the suspension system
• Do not disconnect the Suspension ECU
• Do not disconnect the RAHC air compressor
• Do not remove the rear suspension height sensors. This may trigger an AFS error on the dashboard display. You may need to adjust them after lift to ensure headlights are aimed correctly though.
• You may need to zip tie the rear suspension sensors on both side into a fixed state. You may need to remove them from their brackets as well but electrical needs to remain connected to sensors.

Last edited by Acrad; 02-20-19 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply: How do you disable dash lights after removing air suspension/AHC?