GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

"What did you do to your..." thread?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-17, 08:03 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
Dealer put one of their emblems on the back after purchase yesterday so I had to remove that before the adhesive set it. While I was at it, I removed the "GX460" off the rear. Used a plastic razor to pry them off, then a decal removal wheel to tackle the adhesive material which was left over. All of it was left on the car rather than on the emblems themselves. Once that was done, I hit the area with a touch of polish to get the areas where dirt had accumulated over the years. Overall, a much cleaner look. The chrome exhaust tip was also pretty nasty, so I hit that with the steel wool and got it looking more presentable. Will have to wash the GX next because in standard dealer prep, the car is covered in shiny dressing on all the exterior plastic surfaces.
If you are lucky as I was, at 1.5 years old, I was able to pull them off with my fingers and leave no residue behind. Just make sure you leave the car in a hot garage before hand and it makes it much easier. I do love not seeing all the gunk built up around letters when I detail.
Old 09-11-17, 09:48 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickk6
If you are lucky as I was, at 1.5 years old, I was able to pull them off with my fingers and leave no residue behind. Just make sure you leave the car in a hot garage before hand and it makes it much easier. I do love not seeing all the gunk built up around letters when I detail.
I'm debating taking the "L" badge off next...
Old 09-11-17, 09:53 AM
Romanova
Racer

Also ordered an F-sport grill and I found a cheap pair of brown F-sport floormats on eBay. Ordered more push rivets... the plastic covers in the engine bay are missing a few.
Old 09-11-17, 10:53 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
I'm debating taking the "L" badge off next...
Hard to to tell from this picture but there are 2 holes for the emblem and the metal is not flush. It is raised a little so it looks odd with no emblem. Picture was taken when I was changing the emblems.
The following users liked this post:
redacted (11-18-22)
Old 09-11-17, 11:20 AM
raynyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad i saw this post , i was so close to getting a denali , like literally almost pulled the trigger .

Originally Posted by rattmobbin
Picked up a GX this weekend too. 2014 Premium CPO and I'm diggin' it.

Traded in my 2015 Escalade for it which looked nice and was quite quick (and loud) with the tune and cat-back exhaust I installed, but just flat out garbage as far as reliability and fit and finish goes. Was in the shop every month or 2 for various electrical nonsense.

The GX is SOOOOOOO much smoother and more solid feeling. Feels the way a luxury car should. Escalade just felt like the tarted up Tahoe it was. LOL.

Old ride

New ride
The following users liked this post:
GB2011GX (10-05-17)
Old 09-11-17, 11:54 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Tarted up Tahoe?! Awesome!
The following 3 users liked this post by DallasDave:
GB2011GX (10-05-17), rattmobbin (09-12-17), redacted (11-18-22)
Old 09-11-17, 05:51 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

The GMC has great road manners, wouldn't have been a bad choice if its what you wanted.
Originally Posted by raynyc
glad i saw this post , i was so close to getting a denali , like literally almost pulled the trigger .
Old 09-11-17, 06:26 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

This is new to me. I didn't know that from Lexus Driver page, you can add in your own Service Records and it will show up there too. If you do your own oil or take it to a non Lexus dealer, it's a good way to keep track for future references.
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/history
Old 09-11-17, 06:29 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I've been doing that for a while now. No plans to part with rig ... but if I ever did ...certainly an easy way to give buyer the service rundown. I use a Google Drive spreadsheet for my maintenance tracking as well.

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
This is new to me. I didn't know that from Lexus Driver page, you can add in your own Service Records and it will show up there too. If you do your own oil or take it to a non Lexus dealer, it's a good way to keep track for future references.
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/history
Old 09-11-17, 08:05 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I've been doing that for a while now. No plans to part with rig ... but if I ever did ...certainly an easy way to give buyer the service rundown. I use a Google Drive spreadsheet for my maintenance tracking as well.
Cool! I think it's pretty nice that Lexus allows you to edit it. I use a spreadsheet to keep track of all the little things too.
Old 09-12-17, 09:22 AM
rattmobbin
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by raynyc
Spend some time in the '15+ Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade forums and you'll see there are a LOT of quality control issues with those trucks. I do really miss the power and head turning ability of the Escalade, as well as some of the bells and whistles, but absolutely do not miss taking it in to the dealer every few weeks to get something fixed under warranty. I bought an Escalade so I could drive an Escalade, not a freakin' base CTS loaner all the time.
Old 09-12-17, 11:02 AM
naser075
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rattmobbin
... but absolutely do not miss taking it in to the dealer every few weeks to get something fixed under warranty. I bought an Escalade so I could drive an Escalade, not a freakin' base CTS loaner all the time.
LOVE THIS COMMENT
American cars just don't do it anymore , that is the reality of things
Old 09-15-17, 12:19 PM
Romanova
Racer

Got a few F-sport pieces today. Figured the grill supply is going to start to dwindle eventually so might as well order one. The mats were unintended... found them for $30 shipped on eBay and they are in new condition. There is still a set of F-sport wheels on eBay, but I'm not sure I like them enough to purchase. Also got a Lexus trailer hitch plug, license plate frame, Techstream with the OBD2 cable, and the push clips for the engine covers. Just need my GX to get done at the body shop... had a "whoops" moment with a parking lot pole a few days ago. Sigh.

Old 09-15-17, 02:23 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

The more I see the Sport grill the more I like it.
Old 09-15-17, 02:27 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,330 Posts

On the F-Sport grille....Is it fairly sturdy? Concerned a rock could take it out easily. From those that already have installed... How about washing difficulty?

Quick Reply: "What did you do to your..." thread?