GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

"What did you do to your..." thread?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-18, 11:38 AM
simer86
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leftyguns
my car is white so I wont obtain the same shine. but mine is mirror like and looks great. (obviously I am bias)
5 years seems like marketing gimmick to be honest. I would never go that long between detailing. if you get a sealant like Meguiar’s #21 and do it twice a year your car will look great. its the clear coat you want to protect for the shine.
also be sure to wash your car with a high quality soap, I've been using their ultimate soap and wax for years now. I used to user their cheaper soaps and while they work, its not even half as good as this soap. this soap is just amazing with how well it cleans and shines. a bottle should last you a year + with weekly washing
Thank you for your inputs and I'm using the Meguiar's gold class shampoo so far however I've heard really nice reviews for "Ultimate shampoo" so for sure I'm gonna switch to that now.
Coming back to ceramic coat Do you believe that using a sealant is better than ceramic coat? One thing that really attracts me towards ceramic coat is less maintenance post application even if it stays on the car for 2 years (considering 5 years all BS). For any post rain or snow marks on black car - all you need to do is a great shampoo wash which should consume 25-30 mins comparing to 2-3 hours process of washing, drying, clay bar, waxing, sealant etc etc after every week. Thoughts??
Old 04-24-18, 03:57 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by simer86
Thank you for your inputs and I'm using the Meguiar's gold class shampoo so far however I've heard really nice reviews for "Ultimate shampoo" so for sure I'm gonna switch to that now.
Coming back to ceramic coat Do you believe that using a sealant is better than ceramic coat? One thing that really attracts me towards ceramic coat is less maintenance post application even if it stays on the car for 2 years (considering 5 years all BS). For any post rain or snow marks on black car - all you need to do is a great shampoo wash which should consume 25-30 mins comparing to 2-3 hours process of washing, drying, clay bar, waxing, sealant etc etc after every week. Thoughts??
i honestly have never used ceramic coating only wax. if you are doing those steps every week you are doing over kill. i wash my car on a weekly to bi-weekly basis with that wash/wax shampoo and a good quality wash mitt remembering to keep it wet at all times. washing only small sections at a time and flipping the mitt constantly. i have a white car so i cant speak for darker paints, but i only dry the windows to prevent water marks. i never dry the actual car and i do not clay bar or wax after every wash. on my previous car i had it 10 years and the paint was still in brand new shine with the pearl reflection. twice a year i will do the clay bar/polish/sealant. this is how ive kept my cars for last 15+ years. i live in CO where we get a lot of snow and it slides right off or beads up nicely. i get the occasional water spot but its not a big deal to me. the key is protecting the clear coat thats where all the swirl marks occur, as long as clay barring and polishing it will keep them to a minimum.
Old 05-05-18, 06:46 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by simer86

Was that all done by yourself?

If yes, how long did it take for complete process?
did you use cquartz UK or which ceramic coating?
How many layers of coats did you put?
I had it done or else it would have taken two full days. Plus the thing is huge. I do my Miata, my bike, and my wife's ct200h. Those I can do all in a day. It was $780 to get done (two people working on it at the same time). They used GTechniq EXO Ultra. Shine is incredible and extremely easy to keep clean. Two coats on the hood, roof, and rear door single on the rest. I also had them do the windshield and wheels and door jams while they were at it. Even with two people it took them from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. to get done.
Old 05-05-18, 09:22 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Installed the tow receiver and the step bar today to protect from scratches in the back, people in Brooklyn do not know how to park.
The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (05-05-18)
Old 05-25-18, 04:11 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

A friend at work gave me this. He got a new set of Maxtrax.
Hope I wouldn’t have to use them. Lol.

Old 05-25-18, 04:53 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Nothing wrong with lots of options. I've got a set different brand for mine.

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
A friend at work gave me this. He got a new set of Maxtrax.
Hope I wouldn’t have to use them. Lol.

Old 05-25-18, 05:46 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Yakima Skybox16 on OEM crossbars. Fitment is pretty snug and very close to the roof. I’m going to get Yakima bars or a roof rack by the next time I need to use this cargo box.

The following 2 users liked this post by msgs350:
KingZee (05-27-18), malmon (09-05-18)
Old 05-26-18, 04:51 AM
simer86
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
I had it done or else it would have taken two full days. Plus the thing is huge. I do my Miata, my bike, and my wife's ct200h. Those I can do all in a day. It was $780 to get done (two people working on it at the same time). They used GTechniq EXO Ultra. Shine is incredible and extremely easy to keep clean. Two coats on the hood, roof, and rear door single on the rest. I also had them do the windshield and wheels and door jams while they were at it. Even with two people it took them from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. to get done.
I’ve done on mine but not really happy with the results. Due to bad lightening conditions I didn’t realize that the coating wasn’t buffed off well and now I’ve colored swirl marks on the hood.
Anyone knows how to remove coating so I would re coat that part again.
Old 06-20-18, 11:36 PM
Tking503
Driver School Candidate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Triangulation point

Well, I have abouqt 800 miles on it and got a chance to go to a really cool spot on Father’s Day. People that off-road/overland were blown away and commented how it handled washouts and some tricky stuff with ease

. I’m sold and super stoked my family got to do it with me.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tking503:
Acrad (06-22-18), downshift1 (06-23-18), hzhao (06-21-18), redacted (11-18-22)
Old 09-03-18, 12:44 PM
GX4TATI
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

About a month ago we had BlackVue 2 channel dash cams installed on both GXs. Love the picture quality! Today the following was done: quick rinse, iron remover spray, wash, clay bar, two coats of wax, shine and what a beauty GX is!
The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (09-04-18)
Old 09-07-18, 08:00 AM
Ncan8
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yurka
Installed the tow receiver and the step bar today to protect from scratches in the back, people in Brooklyn do not know how to park.
Good morning, same dilemma here in the bronx. What part numbers did you used
Old 09-12-18, 03:47 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

It has happened before and it will happen again. I am surprised I went as long as I did with this and just scuffed the paint this time. I park in customers driveways and eventually get hit with the customer backing out of the garage and forgetting I am parked there. Insurance claim approved by customers insurance so looks like I will get a rental and have the bumper painted. I have picked up a few dings over the past several months so I may pay extra to have that fixed at the same time. I wish people would stop beating on my GX

Old 09-25-18, 02:31 PM
BryanD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Threw a tent on the roof and went fishing!
The following 2 users liked this post by BryanD:
Acrad (09-25-18), bbqsoup (09-25-18)
Old 09-25-18, 04:18 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanD
Threw a tent on the roof and went fishing!
Looks good.

Camera, block heater cord, etc?

Old 09-25-18, 05:22 PM
BryanD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Block heater. We’ve had snow a couple times already in Alberta.

Quick Reply: "What did you do to your..." thread?