GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions

Old 04-13-15, 10:32 AM
LexusUSA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX460 with code P02445 air injection pump

My 2010 GX460 with almost 80k miles went into limp mode the other day with CEL, LO4, and other lights on. Sent it to dealer and was told code P02445 for secondary air injection pump failure, as well as air switching valves #1 and #2 need to be replaced. A total of about $2500.

Came here and did some reading. It seems like not all air injection pump failure will cause GX into a limp mode. Is it because my GX also need to get its #1 and #2 air switching valves replaced? I understand the DIY for the air injection pump replacement, but what about the #1 and #2 air switching valves replacement? I even don't know where they are. Is that something DIY?

For years, I've been complaining to the same dealer that the GX460 has loud engine noise and sometimes won't accelerate accordingly when I step on gas. Is this something related to this eventual failure of air injection pump?

I still have a 1999 GS300 which virtually gives me no problem. Is the newer Lexus been built "cheaper"?

Thank you to all my Lexus friends.
Old 04-13-15, 10:53 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The following thread on ih8mud might be relevant: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/air-...ailures.402819

The air injection pump only works shortly after engine start up so I doubt it had anything to do with your engine behavior when driving.
Old 04-13-15, 11:19 AM
LexusUSA
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-air-pump.html is where I got some useful info. The second part of that post has a good DIY air injection pump replacement info. But what I don't understand is that some GX trucks go into limp while others drive fine. Is this related to the #1 and #2 air switching valves? If so, where are they? It seems like there are more than two air switching valves.
Old 04-13-15, 02:19 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

It seems like it would depend on what fault code(s) get thrown when it fails. Some codes = CEL, and others result in limp mode. Have you found a case where someone through a P02445 and was able to drive normally? Could also be that the computer was programmed differently for newer year GX's?

Drives me crazy that emissions add-on equipment can put the car in limp mode when it fails. It's obviously not in the critical path for anything, and surely it could be handled as a CEL so that you didn't have to get yourself towed home if you were 200 miles away.
Old 04-13-15, 07:51 PM
LexusUSA
Driver School Candidate

My wife is able to drive that 2010 GX460 up to 60mph eventually, but only 45mph on incline. I also own a fleet of new emmission diesel trucks. Their engine will be de-graded to about 55mph if you miss the dpr (diesel particle re-generation). And if you still ignore the repair, then the engine will be de-graded further to about 35mph. The thing is most dealer will only hook up to their computer and do a forced dpr and/or re-program the sensor. But if they detect something wrong with the dpr filter (e.g. melt down due to over heat), they will need to call the headquarter and get authorization for replacement. No matter what brand of trucks that I try, they all need periodic repair and/or replacement of dpr filter, sensor, injector, and re-program. I really don't know how the diesel (e.g. bluetec with MB) dpr technology works with passenger car as the truck dealer here told me the diesel dpr technology has been proven working fine with European passenger cars for years. I still like natural breath pre-emmission engines.
Old 04-18-15, 10:18 PM
rdouglas13
Driver School Candidate

Smile Air Injection P02445

Same here on my 2011; CEL, Trac, and 4lo sensors on; Injection Pump failure after owning car for 8 days. Dealership fixing due to tsb bulletin and their offer good until i hit 80k. Currently at 74k. Parts are for full assembly that includes switching valves. Costing 700 in parts and would be at least that in labor. Thankfully, lexus dealer standing string behind me here. Thank you Lexus of Louisville.
Old 05-12-15, 11:09 AM
LexusUSA
Driver School Candidate

After getting the air injection pump and #1 and #2 valves replaced ($2000+ parts provided by Lexus, and $500+ labor paid by myself), I finally got back my GX460 with no warning lights on my dash. But listen to this ...

For years, I've been complaining to Lexus dealers here about my GX460 will rollback at the exit of my community where there is a STOP sign. I have to either double footed (one on brake, the other on accelerator) or move my foot from brake to accelerator at lightening speed, the GX460 will rollback infinitely. Again and again, the dealers here said that it is normal and doing what it is designed to do. Meanwhile, I find the GX460 is sluggish compared to my 1,000+ lb more weighted LR3, especially highway passing.

Today, they found out that ECM to my GX460 was bad, and the truck has been running in SAFE mode? Please tell me that a top reliability rated Lexus with less than 80,000 miles can have a ECM gone bad?
Old 05-13-15, 09:10 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A top reliability rated Lexus with less than 80,000 miles can have a ECM gone bad.

Sorry, I had to.

Any vehicle, top rated or not can have electrical issues, no matter how good it is, it's electrical, circuit boards and wires, they go bad. I've seen brand new high end cars and low end cars drove off the dealer lot and die, heck, I've seen new cars stuck on the delivery truck because they have issues. ***** happens.
Old 05-13-15, 09:17 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Something had to make it "go bad." What was the cause?
Old 05-18-15, 12:50 AM
rdouglas13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusUSA
After getting the air injection pump and #1 and #2 valves replaced ($2000+ parts provided by Lexus, and $500+ labor paid by myself), I finally got back my GX460 with no warning lights on my dash. But listen to this ...

For years, I've been complaining to Lexus dealers here about my GX460 will rollback at the exit of my community where there is a STOP sign. I have to either double footed (one on brake, the other on accelerator) or move my foot from brake to accelerator at lightening speed, the GX460 will rollback infinitely. Again and again, the dealers here said that it is normal and doing what it is designed to do. Meanwhile, I find the GX460 is sluggish compared to my 1,000+ lb more weighted LR3, especially highway passing.

Today, they found out that ECM to my GX460 was bad, and the truck has been running in SAFE mode? Please tell me that a top reliability rated Lexus with less than 80,000 miles can have a ECM gone bad?
How long in between getting it back and having them tell you the ECM went bad? Mine is fine now, acceleration definitely good now. Should they "sign off" that my ECM is in good condition during their fix of the P02445 or are they unrelated?

Thx
Old 05-18-15, 09:14 AM
hardtoptx
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LexusUSA
My 2010 GX460 with almost 80k miles went into limp mode the other day with CEL, LO4, and other lights on. Sent it to dealer and was told code P02445 for secondary air injection pump failure, as well as air switching valves #1 and #2 need to be replaced. A total of about $2500.

Came here and did some reading. It seems like not all air injection pump failure will cause GX into a limp mode. Is it because my GX also need to get its #1 and #2 air switching valves replaced? I understand the DIY for the air injection pump replacement, but what about the #1 and #2 air switching valves replacement? I even don't know where they are. Is that something DIY?

For years, I've been complaining to the same dealer that the GX460 has loud engine noise and sometimes won't accelerate accordingly when I step on gas. Is this something related to this eventual failure of air injection pump?

I still have a 1999 GS300 which virtually gives me no problem. Is the newer Lexus been built "cheaper"?

Thank you to all my Lexus friends.
Took my in 2 weeks ago for the same problems with air injection. Dealer don't have parts and i wont get my truck back til mid off Jun/2015. My truck only has 38k miles. bought it around 15k. Only 20k miles put on the truck, but sent in dealer 3 times for quaranty.
1. throttle body went out around 20k miles,
2, around 28k got leaking differencial.
3. now is air injection.
Im so frustrating. any suggestion i should do or complaint? Please let me know. thanks.
Old 05-19-15, 06:50 AM
GX460PREM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hardtoptx
Took my in 2 weeks ago for the same problems with air injection. Dealer don't have parts and i wont get my truck back til mid off Jun/2015. My truck only has 38k miles. bought it around 15k. Only 20k miles put on the truck, but sent in dealer 3 times for quaranty.
1. throttle body went out around 20k miles,
2, around 28k got leaking differencial.
3. now is air injection.
Im so frustrating. any suggestion i should do or complaint? Please let me know. thanks.
What year is your Lexus GX460?
Old 05-20-15, 05:29 AM
hardtoptx
Driver School Candidate

2010 premium package.
Old 06-10-15, 10:54 AM
brokoz07
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb GX460 Secondary Air Intake Pump

Hello all, I have the dreaded secondary air issues on my 2011 GX460. This all started with a P2441 code so I order the bypass module. During the wait, I taught my wife how to clear the codes and stay out of limp mode. I got the bypass installed last night and all seemed good until I started the car and still got a CEL. This time it pulled P0418 which is a bad pump When I told my wife what was going on, she decided to tell me that she forgot to clear the code the other day, but it drove normal and just left it for the last three days. Now it all makes sense. The valve codes put the car in limp mode, but a bad pump will not. Now I am looking to replace the pump and put all this behind me, but all I can find is 4.7L stuff. Has anyone replaced a GX460 pump with a non-oem part? I know a lot of the 4.7's use a Doorman 306-010, but I am almost positive it will not work on the 4.6. I have come across an A1 Cardone 33-2504M that might be it, but I have no idea. I also read somewhere that the pump on the 460 is under the plastic cover, behind the headlight and not in the engine like the 4.7's and others. My mind is shot today. If anybody has any info, please let me know. I guess I'll start looking for the pump this evening. Thanks
Old 06-12-15, 09:26 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

The parts diagram isn't very specific, but it does seem to show it in the vicinity of the manifold like the 4.7. Not really sure though.

How many miles on your GX? I assume it's out of warranty.
Attached Thumbnails SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions-screenhunter_127-jun.-12-10.24.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions