Super Moderator

Received 3,554 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Here is TSB from 2014.

Old 05-09-17, 07:47 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 815 Likes on 566 Posts

Update:
In the last 2 days I have cleared the trouble and it came up again immediately after driveing. Both bank 1 and 2 are now failing. It is possible to clear the codes while driving with the Carista app to get out of limp mode. Tracking the bypass module shipment and I should have it tomorrow.

Last edited by tecman; 05-09-17 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-10-17, 04:04 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tecman
Update:
In the last 2 days I have cleared the trouble and it came up again immediately after driveing. Both bank 1 and 2 are now failing. It is possible to clear the codes while driving with the Carista app to get out of limp mode. Tracking the bypass module shipment and I should have it tomorrow.
I thought I read on one of these related threads...might be somewhere else (Tundra forums)...that failed components can be disconnected and somehow not cause it to go into limp mode. Check Engine light solid of course but would still allow it to run fine.
The following users liked this post:
tecman (05-12-17)
Old 05-10-17, 08:03 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Update:
Isn't Lexus fixing this problem at NO CHARGE for us? Did you receive the letter?

If I've missed some posts/readings...then please forgive me.
Old 05-10-17, 09:47 AM
sbentley45
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read this post a few months back when I encountered the same problem and code. I followed the steps from a previous post on here about contacting Lexus 800 number and complaining and was given a service ticket to check in to my issue/complaint. After completing all the required information to them and 6 weeks later, I received a check for the entire amount of the repair. Saving me 2k. So thankful for the earlier post on how to go this route and was suspicious it wouldn't work, but it did and very well!!!!

Thanks!!!!
psolov (05-10-17)
Old 05-10-17, 10:55 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Isn't Lexus fixing this problem at NO CHARGE for us? Did you receive the letter?

If I've missed some posts/readings...then please forgive me.
I got the letter but leaving it with the dealer is a hassle for me. I have plenty of time to have it fixed if I choose. If the bypass works with no issues I will be happy. As I mentioned earlier here I plan to keep the truck for a long time and the failure could easily come up again. I prefer bypassing the system to be done with it.
Old 05-10-17, 12:45 PM
psolov
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is awesome, I'm sure you can find a way to put that money to good use. I'm sure this will go a long way to getting everyone on-board in calling Lexus if they don't get satisfaction from their dealer.
Old 05-12-17, 03:25 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I got the letter but leaving it with the dealer is a hassle for me. I have plenty of time to have it fixed if I choose. If the bypass works with no issues I will be happy. As I mentioned earlier here I plan to keep the truck for a long time and the failure could easily come up again. I prefer bypassing the system to be done with it.
How did your bypass install go?

I too plan to keep vehicle a long time and probably need to consider buying a kit to keep on hand once the warranty extension expires.
Old 05-12-17, 05:28 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I thought I read on one of these related threads...might be somewhere else (Tundra forums)...that failed components can be disconnected and somehow not cause it to go into limp mode. Check Engine light solid of course but would still allow it to run fine.
I disconnected the pump after reading this and it seems to work!! 2 days with trouble lights but no "limp mode" I scanned the system after the disconnect and I have a "secondary air injection system control A circuit" code. I caused an additional problem code and this prevents "limp mode"

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
How did your bypass install go?

I too plan to keep vehicle a long time and probably need to consider buying a kit to keep on hand once the warranty extension expires.
Since I was able to prevent the limp mode I am in no rush and the instructions that came with the bypass are not so good. I think the pictures are for the Tundra. I located the necessary plugs and starter relay on the GX today. Connected the pump and cleared the codes. I plan to install the bypass tomorrow morning before the first start up to test. I will temporarily install this as I have decided to go ahead and have the system replaced soon (don't want to have any regrets out of warranty). I ordered the pump tip that I threw away. I will permanently install the bypass after the system is replaced.

Next post is a link to directions and a pic of the supplement that was added with my shipment. My understanding is that I don't need the exhaust block-off plates? The acronyms are a little confusing. Look at the first sentence under Installation
The exhaust block-off plates are only to be installed with the SAS (AIP) Bypass Module
Missed a letter? SAIS is secondary Air Intake System. AIP? Maybe Air Injection Pump?
Old 05-12-17, 05:29 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

http://www.hewitt-tech.com/store/dow...structions.pdf

Old 05-13-17, 11:01 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Default GX 460 Hewitt Technologies Bypass Install

Installed and drove around the block. No lights and no codes

Air intake.
Only purple relay in the box.
Ran the cable in front of the engine and took every possible shortcut with the large connectors and only made it to here. When I permanently install it I will try going over the top but looking at the route it won't be as clean looking.
Acrad (05-13-17)
Old 05-13-17, 01:52 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Putting the wire in wire loom should clean up too. Thanks for post!!
Old 05-15-17, 02:48 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Drove to a customers house and stopped off for lunch on the way home... HELLO trouble lights when leaving the restaurant. Called Hewitt Tech and was told the P2440 and P2442 will always be in the memory due to never being restored and other codes can bring them back up. I was advised that the pump could be bad and would require the $150 pump bypass with P0418 (I had the same code when I disconnected the pump earlier in this thread). P0113 is the odd one, I was advised to pull the connectors off and check for any bent pins or loose connections and was told it could be a bad bypass module and they have had the same problem recently with one.
Pulled the connectors and reconnected and all looks good. I obviously need to have the system replaced and then put the bypass on.

A couple of things to note.
> The bypass has a lifetime warranty with the car.
> The Hewitt technician said that Lexus WAS replacing the entire system with any part failure and are now only replacing individual bad parts with the extended warranty.

Old 05-17-17, 02:27 PM
visuthdy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got the check engine light, anti-splip light, and 4 low light this morning. I'm thinking it's the secondary air issue. Do you know if Lexus will warranty a modified GX? I just recently had it lifted, new wheels and bigger tires.
Old 05-17-17, 02:35 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by visuthdy
I just got the check engine light, anti-splip light, and 4 low light this morning. I'm thinking it's the secondary air issue. Do you know if Lexus will warranty a modified GX? I just recently had it lifted, new wheels and bigger tires.
That mod has nothing to do with the secondary air intake. You are good to go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions