GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 10:52 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I assume it worked for a while after you got it from the dealership?

If it cranks, but won't start, then it's not likely a battery problem. And you've tried a new battery only to get the same result.

At this point it's usually a fuel issue, or a spark issue. You need those things to come together to ignite the engine to turn over. Or possibly a wiring/security type issue as you theorized. None of those should be related to the air pump, and the fact that it's not throwing a code gives you little to work with. Very strange. If you are not comfortable diagnosing from this point on, it is indeed probably time to go to the dealer.
Old 03-10-16, 10:54 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Craigyyy - What year GX, and how many miles?
Old 03-10-16, 12:52 PM
erikb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooooooo.....I've been working on cars since I was 16. Had plenty of experience fixing cars and diagnosing a in the past. I've swapped out the engine in my current fun car. Sure these "new fangled computer controlled" cars are harder in some ways, but a lot easier in others. So I know a lot about cars. So of course it has to be a fuel or spark issue! Duh!

And I found out that it was a fuel issue.......and here's where I get a little more sheepish....It was out of gas. Go ahead and laugh. I would be. In my defense it's the GF's car, and she just told me it wouldn't start. She's also generally someone who would not let her gas run out so I never bothered to check. Always check the simplest stuff first. Dammit...

Still laughing huh? Yup. I deserve it. At least I didn't take it to the dealership.
Old 03-10-16, 01:08 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Guess the code reader won't give you a reading for that
Old 03-10-16, 01:11 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

That was good for a laugh. I'm glad it was something simple.
Old 03-10-16, 01:14 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by erikb
Sooooooo.....I've been working on cars since I was 16. Had plenty of experience fixing cars and diagnosing a in the past. I've swapped out the engine in my current fun car. Sure these "new fangled computer controlled" cars are harder in some ways, but a lot easier in others. So I know a lot about cars. So of course it has to be a fuel or spark issue! Duh!

And I found out that it was a fuel issue.......and here's where I get a little more sheepish....It was out of gas. Go ahead and laugh. I would be. In my defense it's the GF's car, and she just told me it wouldn't start. She's also generally someone who would not let her gas run out so I never bothered to check. Always check the simplest stuff first. Dammit...

Still laughing huh? Yup. I deserve it. At least I didn't take it to the dealership.
I laughed so hard, my co-workers looked at me weirdly....

Your GF deserved few slaps on the butt....
Old 03-10-16, 01:50 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

And what was that comment about Lexus reliability? LOL
Old 03-10-16, 02:17 PM
Kitana
Driver

Doh!! Thank's for the laugh. Needed that today.
Old 03-10-16, 04:09 PM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Your honesty is refreshing! Thanks for the chuckle - we've all been there!
Old 03-10-16, 08:55 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Excellent. What finally led you to the discovery???

It's probably been a couple years since my wife has put gas in her own car.
Old 03-10-16, 09:03 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jacket
Craigyyy - What year GX, and how many miles?
2011 with 72k miles.

Just looked at the history again on the Lexus website. In March 2014 with 39,000 miles: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT C/S CEL, TRAC AND 4LO LIGHTS ARE ON - P0230,P1603, P1604, P1605, P2441, P2442 - REPLACED AIR INJECTION PUMP AND BOTH VALVES AND GASKETS TEST DROVE TO VERIFY REPAIR.

So yeah my pump is only two years old! Would explain how it looked inside.
Old 03-11-16, 03:51 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Wow!! at 39,000 miles. Looks like other owners are on borrowed time without preventive measures taken here. Who here is holding out while under warranty and hoping for the best? I feel like I should print flyers and put them on every older GX I see

Last edited by tecman; 03-11-16 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-12-16, 12:23 AM
jimmyl2put
Driver School Candidate

Default Got the similar P2442 problem on my 2012 GX460

Originally Posted by midwest2
The parts you listed are the ones I ordered. The dealer automatically changes both valves and the pump whenever there is a malfunction. The service adviser said once the valves stick open the heat melts all the parts. I don't believe this is the case. The "limp mode" keeps this from happening.

Why would the parts malfunction again so soon? I don't know, but they are malfunctioning on Tudra's within a few thousand miles of driving off the lot.

I have the old valves off and when I get time will try to tear them apart and see if there is a way to clean the old ones.

I tried an ebay bypass module, not the one you listed but a "plug-n-play" unit. It would keep the codes at bay for two days, but they always returned.
You had a 2011 GX460 and mine is 2012 so the cars are essentially the same. I opened up the air pump and see a lot of moisture so I am thinking the valves will be malfunction again due to the excessive moisture if I just replace them. That's why I am interested in the plug-and-play bypass module for the P2442 problem. I would like to ask you few questions on that:

1. The Ebay seller didn't specified that the module is applicable for GX460 which is a 4.6 L engine. I would like to confirm if it's good on GX460.
2. You indicated the error code returned after you installed the bypass module. Did you also install the 2 metal plates? According to the seller, the 2 metal plates are mandatory to get rid of the error code permanently. If you used the 2 metal plates and the error code still return, then I won't buy the bypass module.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-12-16, 11:25 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by tecman
Wow!! at 39,000 miles. Looks like other owners are on borrowed time without preventive measures taken here. Who here is holding out while under warranty and hoping for the best? I feel like I should print flyers and put them on every older GX I see
Yeah it's hard to tell, seems like it's purely a factor of how quickly the filter breaks down. Theoretically in the right climate the filter would last indefinitely and you'd never have a problem. Not everybody has it. It could be some sort of overpressure in the pump that pulls the filter in as well.

I wonder just how many people this has affected. When shopping I probably pulled records on a dozen trucks and I saw the air pump issue on at least 3 or 4.

Class action?
Old 03-12-16, 01:02 PM
Kitana
Driver

Originally Posted by tecman
Should I be doing this on my 2014?

Quick Reply: SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions