GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 10:57 AM
bigphil001
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis3
Additionally ... Can anyone recommend the best Lexus or secondary parts supplier for the air pump and valves? Lexus quoted me $900 for pump and $300/400 for each valve! Hopefully I could salvage the pump.
http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com/

$440 for both valves

2570138100 VALVE ASSEMBLY, AIR SWITCHING 1 $192.95
2570238050 VALVE ASSEMBLY, AIR SWITCHING 1 $244.15
Old 01-29-16, 11:07 AM
Louis3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks BigPhil!! I'll try and salvage / clean the air pump and simply replace the 2 valve assemblies. Guess I gotta move quickly on this. Louis
Old 01-31-16, 10:50 AM
machine323
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I got my valves from Toyota part.com for $466 shipped 2 day air. I cleaned up my pump and salvaged it. check the other thread for a replacement filter I used. I also had a blown fuse from the air pump that cost $13. I did change out the entire valve assembly though, just not the tops. took me 4 hours to remove and replace the. they are some tight places for the bolts if you want to change the entire assembly. better have a good assortment of different size 10 and 12MM sockets and ratcheting wrenches. don't use 12 point either. bolts seem soft to me and was wanting to round things off and I was using snap-on tools.
Old 02-01-16, 12:11 PM
Louis3
Driver School Candidate

Default Air pump assembly pics

I removed the air pump. It looks fine including the filter and fan impeller. No obvious debris. Lexus service gave me the P2442 fault code with "secpndary air injection system switching valve stuck open bank #2". Should I just check Fuse and pull top of valve #2 off to check for debris?? And is there a simple Fault reset procedure to clear it if I am able to fix? thanks

Also...Thanks for the Toyotaparts.com referral!
Old 02-01-16, 02:16 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis3
I removed the air pump. It looks fine including the filter and fan impeller. No obvious debris. Lexus service gave me the P2442 fault code with "secpndary air injection system switching valve stuck open bank #2". Should I just check Fuse and pull top of valve #2 off to check for debris?? And is there a simple Fault reset procedure to clear it if I am able to fix? thanks

Also...Thanks for the Toyotaparts.com referral!
You can buy a cheap code reader that will reset the code. Last time I went to Advance Auto they would read the code but "would Not" reset it for me. Not sure but it may even reset on its own after you fix the valve.

I haven't heard of someone being able to clean a valve and return it to a working condition, but it may be possible. By the way, bank 2 is the passenger side if you didn't already know. Also, EBAY is a great place to find these valves. I think I paid around $190 for the bank 2 valve.
Old 02-01-16, 05:18 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

The weather in my area finally cooperated today and I had some time to look into this matter. I know others previously shared similar images, but these are from my angle.

Location of the 2ndary air pump. If you can locate the main air filter box, then you can't miss it. I've already removed the cover in this picture. And with the cover off, take the time to check your coolant -I couldn't believe how low mine was...

Close-up with the cover off and hose removed.

No debris or moisture in this hose.

It's important to test for moisture/debris after removing the vacuum hose. And since I did not take the entire unit out, fingering it did the job.

I pried open the cap by slightly loosening each fastener clip.

After installation of the Uni UP-107 air filter. Easy enough job that it only took about 15 minutes.

My filter was in one piece and not wet, but felt like given time, it will brittle itself into oblivion -aka sucked into the blade/pump. Luckily, this thread provides the necessary steps if that ever happens.

Last edited by 11GX460; 02-01-16 at 07:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GX4602011 (02-08-17)
Old 02-01-16, 08:54 PM
Louis3
Driver School Candidate

Well I sourced the air valves at Toyotapart.com but they were both back ordered so I, for the heck of it called my local Toyo dealer here in Dallas and they had both valves $600 after tax so I got 'em. The valves must be the updated design because I had to replace the whole unit. My valves had sucked in the rubber gasket as shown in other pics. FYI...My blower motor was completely clean with foam filter intact so my issue was limited solely to the air valve failures. I started car but couldnt clear lights so guess I'll need a code reader in order to clear them. Hopefully will work.

Old 02-02-16, 01:30 AM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$600 is WAY high, but if you need them you need them. Your pic shows the valve in its disassembled state. I'm not sure what gasket you are referring to?
Old 02-02-16, 09:08 AM
Louis3
Driver School Candidate

Yeah...This car is wife's daily driver so car sitting in garage waiting on parts on backorder was a no go. If this was one of my hobby cars I'd def wait around on cheaper back order parts. That valve pic is the new redesigned valve which will require one to replace the whole unit including cast aluminum base. The small rubber gasket was on the upper section of the valve assembly which were both sucked in and melted to the old valves. No Blower pump contamination whatsoever.
Old 02-08-16, 05:38 PM
machine323
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

louis3, what year is your GX and what was the part number you ordered. when i ordered my valves the part numbers were just the same as the ones i took off. i looked at several lexus parts sites to see if any gave an alternate. i did not take my new valves apart but it just looks like the flapper valve portion stuck to the top part instead of staying in the aluminum base
Old 02-08-16, 07:17 PM
Louis3
Driver School Candidate

I picked up the 2 valves at my local Toyota dealership referencing the original part numbers. It just seems the new valve assemblies were a new updated design. My guess...toyota has silently acknowledged the design flaw and modified them without any consumer notification. .
Old 03-09-16, 08:01 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Me too me too me too. Thought I'd add a couple more pics to the thread.

The filter, the inside of the housing, and the impeller were all completely clean and spotless. Makes me wonder if this thing ever even turns on. I will probably add a UNI air filter like the rest of y'all just to be safe though.

I think it's been mentioned before, but it's just a single T25 screw on the top of the housing. A T20 will also work.

Took me literally a couple of minutes. Gently removing all of the clips on the cowling to get underneath took the most time, and then taking these pictures.
Attached Thumbnails SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions-pump.jpg   SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions-t25.jpg  
Old 03-09-16, 05:57 PM
erikb
Driver School Candidate

Default My 2012 won't start. 2 weeks ago I paid $2k to fix the secondary pump issue. Ideas?

Hey everyone, I have a 2012 gx460 with about 78k miles. Three weeks ago it threw a code and I had the secondary air pump issue. Lexus was nice enough to fix it......for $2000 and send me on my way. It's been two weeks since it was fixed and tonight it wouldn't start at all. It tried to crank a few times but it wouldn't fully start. I replaced the battery figuring that was it, but a brand new bosch later, and it still won't start. Just to completely eliminate the battery thing I also tried jumping it with my Jeep just in case. Since it can't start I can't run it to the auto parts store to see if there's codes. Just looking for any ideas to try. Could the dealership have messed up on fixing the secondary pump and caused this? Thanks.

This truck was always serviced at the dealership at its scheduled times. I thought Lexus was supposed to be reliable???
Old 03-09-16, 08:00 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I haven't heard of anyone being stranded with the secondary intake problem. Sounds like it's time to have it towed to the dealer.... Good luck.
Old 03-10-16, 06:51 AM
erikb
Driver School Candidate

Well I bought a code reader just to see what it was doing and it is showing 0 codes. Now I'm at even more of a loss. I guess next step is in fact calling the stealership.

Is it possible it's a key-security thing? Is the battery starting to die? It will lock and unlock the doors so maybe not but I was reading other Lexus can crank but not start if there is a key problem?

Quick Reply: SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions