GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 02:40 PM
machine323
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

great addition tecman. i didn't even know the filter was like that. i thought it was in the little round housing that snapped on the pump.
Old 12-31-15, 02:45 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Same here, that was the first thing I pulled off.
Old 01-03-16, 02:45 PM
bigphil001
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Codes P2440 and P2442 Air Injection System Fault Solution with pictures

I have a 2010 GX460 with about 81000 miles on it. I recently got the above codes and after researching it I decided to take apart the air injection valves, and also the motor to see what was going on.

Luckily these parts are very easy to access on our cars. Take the engine cover and front plastic cover off. The two valve are on either side of the cylinder head, and the pump will be on the left hand side, front of the engine bay.

I ordered two new valves, and ended up just cleaning out my pump.

Here are the Part Numbers and cost:

VALVE ASSEMBLY, AIR SWITCHING
Quantity:1
Price:$192.95
VALVE ASSEMBLY, AIR SWITCHING
Quantity:1
Price:$244.15

This is exactly what happened:

http://carspecmn.com/gx460-check-eng...5-andor-p0418/

Here is what both of my valves looked like:

Here is what the air pump looked like:

Old 01-03-16, 03:54 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Why didn't you post this in the recently updated thread? Thanks for the info.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...take-pump.html
Old 01-03-16, 08:22 PM
machine323
Driver

another filter sucked in the pump. there is actually a tsb i found on the subject while diagnosing my own codes. it specifically talks about the filter getting sucked into the system. i hope everyone takes note of this. i got off easy with a $15 fuse and cleaning out my pump. i never took my valves apart so i dont know what all got sucked in there. i will cross that bridge if it comes up. mine was a 2010 with 78k on the odd. i do not have a filter anymore eta: there sure looks to be a lot of moisture in your pictures.

Last edited by machine323; 01-04-16 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-04-16, 10:42 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for the details. The linked article indicates that Toyota redesigned these parts, but doesn't say when or for what application. Did you notice that your new parts had a different design? Foam filter deleted? Or maybe there's a new design at 2014 and up?

Edit: I went ahead and posted the question on the article as well.
Old 01-04-16, 04:50 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

My work day fell apart so my day revolved around this damn filter LOL. Yesterday I went to Lowes and Home Depot to look at lawnmower and other filters. Today I started at a local small engine repair shop for lawnmowers etc. and this is where I bought the filter. The guy recommended Ace Hardware because he worked there and they have several metal screen options. I then ventured to find a screen to protect the filter from being sucked in. Ace Hardware, Michael's crafts store and Joannes crafts store with no luck. I went back to Home Depot and Lowe's for the screen that I did not previously look for (I was focused on a filter at that time) and didn't like the available options.

On the way back home I was going to pass a Lexus dealer anyway so I decided to stop by. I went to the parts department and tried to find out if there is an updated filter and was told there is no filter part number for 17610C pump, the pump is the only option to purchase at $850.

I think I have what I need now to make a filter. Blick Art Materials is where I found the metal screen that should work. I hope to have this done this week. Standby for pics.
Old 01-04-16, 06:05 PM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I was thinking about getting something like this and having it clamped to the end of the pump

while one can argue that an external filter is more exposed to the elements and thus be more susceptible to getting dirty, checking its condition only requires you to open your hood and take a look.
Old 01-05-16, 04:14 AM
machine323
Driver

Tecman, just yesterday I was too thinking about why they didn't have a metal screen to support the filter from getting sucked in. Seems like a bad design, though from what i researched they ripped the pump of an 80's GM vehicle. Pinoyesv6 that is the exact direction I am going since my filter is already toast, and as Tecman found out not individually replaceable. I haven't got around to looking that serious at it tough.
Old 01-05-16, 11:43 AM
bigphil001
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacket
Thanks for the details. The linked article indicates that Toyota redesigned these parts, but doesn't say when or for what application. Did you notice that your new parts had a different design? Foam filter deleted? Or maybe there's a new design at 2014 and up?

Edit: I went ahead and posted the question on the article as well.
I ended up cleaning out the pump and am currently running it with no filter on it.

The valves look to be exactly the same though.

I don't think its a big deal to run without a filter since this pump only runs for a short time after a cold start and the air only gets dumped into the catalytic converter.
Old 01-05-16, 03:45 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

The TSB number for this issue seems to be LSB-0028-14.

The title is "MIL 'ON' DTC P0418/P244# Air Pump Filter Debris". I haven't been able to find the full description of the bulletin (without paying money), but in case you want to point your service tech to it you can feed him this reference ID.
Old 01-07-16, 08:53 PM
GXGSAm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi All, I have been following this discussion and when I reviewed the photos of the foam clog-ups, it looked like the truck/s had been subjected to oil or fluid contamination near the affected parts. I think, initially water/fluids got sucked in the air intake of the device making the foam soggy which eventually fell apart inside with every rush of air passing through it. Then, pieces of wet foam got pushed out of tubes to different parts of the secondary air intake assembly.

I believe that during numerous engine cleaning, wet air kept getting sucked in the tubes and killed the foam filter.
I haven't done any engine cleaning on my GX but it may be a good idea to keep that area dry and free of dust and fluids when cleaning the engine.
Old 01-09-16, 10:30 AM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

By looking at the design of the pump, I think you would have to intentionally spray water at the pump's intake for water to go in.

I think its just that over time, the filter is doing its job by filtering any dirt and over time it gets clogged up, the pump slowly sucks it in because that is all it could suck in. If there were a replacement filter and a service interval for changing the filter, i bet the issue wouldn't come up
Old 01-09-16, 03:05 PM
GXGSAm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
By looking at the design of the pump, I think you would have to intentionally spray water at the pump's intake for water to go in.

I think its just that over time, the filter is doing its job by filtering any dirt and over time it gets clogged up, the pump slowly sucks it in because that is all it could suck in. If there were a replacement filter and a service interval for changing the filter, i bet the issue wouldn't come up

Exactly what will happen when engine cleaning where engine cleaning solvent is used to remove dirt around the engine, then flushing it with water afterwards. Many times in the past I even have the engine running while I use a garden hose to remove all the grease around the engine compartment. Obviously, when you looked at the pics already posted, the foam ended up wet and black/brown - the foam should have been torn all over the place, but completely dry. (End of my last comment on this thread).
Old 01-09-16, 05:32 PM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just want to throw in my thanks to all who've contributed to this thread. I will be taking a look at mine hopefully this weekend.

As a sidenote, anyone take a look at a foam filter like this one used for aquariums? Maybe this could be cut to size?

http://www.amazon.com/Eshopps-AEO19070-Square-Aquarium-Filter/dp/B00BUFT3HU http://www.amazon.com/Eshopps-AEO19070-Square-Aquarium-Filter/dp/B00BUFT3HU

Quick Reply: SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions