GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-15, 07:27 PM
M1911
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew this was a problem with the later version of the 4.7l V8, but I didn't realize it was also an issue with the 4.6. Not good.
Old 10-14-15, 12:30 AM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P02445 is a stuck air induction valve on the driver's side. I had this issue with my 2011 GX and at about the same miles. The good news is our valves are not under the manifold and are very easy to access. You can get the valves on ebay right now for appox $200 each. These valves also come apart with four torx screws so you can change the "guts" of the valve while leaving the aluminum base attached to the valve cover. I think I could change one out in 15 minutes now that I am familiar with the design. Also, Toyota extended the warranty on multiple products that use these exact parts, but Lexus has not.

Last edited by midwest2; 10-14-15 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-14-15, 01:06 PM
machine323
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

im having the same issues on my 2010. so far I've takes the cover off the air pump and noticed the little foam air filter has been sucked through the air pump. still have to take the pump out and clean it and bench check it. how does one check the control driver? my fuse was not blown at the beginning but it is now, same one as in the thread. i started getting the 2245 (secondary air injection system puno stuck off bank 1) and now a P0418 (secondary air injector relay A malfunction) if anyone has any great info i would love to hear it. I'm gonna start buy checking the pump out of the vehicle and give that a whirl if it works. next would be the valves i believe.
Old 12-16-15, 12:11 AM
midwest2
Pole Position

I replaced both valves on my 2011. Luckily the valves are not under the intake and are relatively easy to access. Also, it seems the valves can be split via four torx screws allowing you to replace just the valve and leave the aluminum base attached to the manifold. This is what I will do if mine ever malfunction again. By doing this, I think I could replace both valves in 30 min. Even though the valves are out in the open, it's tight where they attach to the exhaust tubes.
Old 12-16-15, 02:22 PM
Jonathan68
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code p2445

This is my family 3rd lexus...we used to have the LS, ES, SC series. But so far no problems. That's why we keep buying lexus. But with this model we have the same problem code 2445 after 60k miles. My family is a old time mechanic ourselves.i wonder why so many people having the problem. Even the toyota Tundra Engine have it too. And on ebay there's a guy selling the bypass module to fix it. My main concern is why don't we all call Lexus customer's service and report it...so they can bring it to the world or recall. People please report this problem to your Lexus customer's service. I call and complain but the lady said. I'm the only 5th person calling from Florida. We need to bring this issue to the news people
Old 12-17-15, 12:12 AM
midwest2
Pole Position

Toyota/Lexus knows all about the problem. The warranty was extended on the Tundra, but no such extension for us even thought they use the exact same parts.
Old 12-22-15, 04:47 PM
thequickad
Rookie

I also had this issue (Engine, Trac lights on, 4 Lo light flashing) but fortunately my GX is still under warranty so it was repaired by the dealer. According to the service manager, sometimes the foam filter for the secondary air intake would get threaded so Lexus requires the entire assembly be replaced. The following were the steps listed the invoice:

Air pump malfunction bank 1
Removed and replaced air pump and valve assy. air switch no.1 and no.2 and erased code.
Operation EG1403
Old 12-23-15, 08:29 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Is this something very common?

Looking through service records of a few trucks on the market, I have seen this repair.
Old 12-24-15, 10:16 PM
thequickad
Rookie

I have also heard from a Lexus Mechanic who is familiar with this issue. He said the foam filter is most likely the cause because it would dry up and crumble and get sucked into the 2nd air intake system. Why doesn't Lexus replace this stupid foam filter?
Old 12-30-15, 06:34 PM
machine323
Driver

So for an update i fixed the problem. I took the pump apart and the foam filter was indeed sucked into the pump and fortunately got stuck in the pump. That caused the pump stuck off code, and I'm sure what caused the fuse to blow when the fan tried to come on. I did have some foam particals in the air tubes that I blew out. I cleaned the impeller vanes and hooked it direct to 12v and the pump worked fine. Put things back together and replaced the $13 fuse and all was good. No codes yet and the fan runs at startup as it should. So what is I'm sure a $.05 piece of foam can cause $1000's in damage. FYI mine was a 2010 with 77K miles. The pump underside looked pristine, and not like the Tundra problems with moisture. Heres the pics.

Old 12-31-15, 02:56 AM
midwest2
Pole Position

Good to know. I think we are far better off with no filter at all instead of the factory set-up.
Old 12-31-15, 11:10 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks for sharing! Are you now running without the filter?

Also, about how long do you think it took you to get the pump off and apart?

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to remove the filter as prophylaxis before it becomes a problem.
Old 12-31-15, 11:51 AM
midwest2
Pole Position

I am definitely removing mine.
Old 12-31-15, 12:12 PM
machine323
Driver

I am currently running without a filter. it only comes on at startup so I'm not crazy worried about any particulates getting sucked in there for now. I will have to look at what kinda space i have and put on an aftermarket type breather filter at some point. I'm in no rush. my filter was not dry and brittle at all. it was more of a soft mush when i pulled it out. you have to take off the big radiator cover plate and the motor is on the passenger side. it took me about 10 minutes to have it out of the car and opened up. you need a T25 ( i think) driver to take the motor housing apart. all super easy to do, if your even slightly mechanically inclined. i think a new filter assembly is like $7. to change it out would be small insurance. I won't be going back with the stock filter though.
Old 12-31-15, 01:23 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Now I will be able to sleep tonight

Thanks to all that contributed here

Quick Reply: SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions