GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Second row seat rattle covered under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 12:22 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second row seat rattle covered under warranty?

I took my gx to the local dealer to take care of the rattleand they found out the cause of the trouble were bushings that needed to be replaced. They are telling me that Lexus don't cover noises and rattles. Is this true? What can I do to get Lexus to cover it. Who do i need to call so they can take care of it. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Last edited by MickeyS; 03-20-17 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Missing word
Old 03-20-17, 02:30 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

If it's under factory warranty and the dealership said a part needed to be replaced, Lexus should pay for it. I will say though with noises there is a "gray area" in that they won't always address it, but if they said "here's your problem, this needs to be replaced" it should be covered.

Was this though an "extended" warranty or what came from the factory? The extended warranties have a lot of loopholes, even the ones that come from Lexus.

I would look at your paperwork and call Lexus corporate.
The following users liked this post:
MickeyS (03-20-17)
Old 03-20-17, 04:27 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

While they may cover rattles under the original new car warranty, especially since they have a revised part, they aren't likely to cover something like that outside of the warranty. Did you just recently take it to the dealer? I see you asked about it almost two years ago: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-backseat.html

The part itself isn't that expensive and it's fairly easy to replace yourself. If you don't want to pay, you can always DIY it.
Old 03-21-17, 10:45 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this is the update on the situation. I found a TSB about the rattle showed it to the service advisor and he wouldn't even look at it. The truck stays at the dealer for two days, no one calls me, finally I called and they tell me that the warranty adjuster saw it and they wouldn't cover the job. The sales rep tells me is about $800, they would cover the part ($239) and I should pay for the labor. Thank you but no. I am picking my truck up today, I am going to figure out a way to fix the rattle myself. This is the TSB I found on the internet:
http://www.autoserviceprofessional.c...us-seat-rattle

I have a 2010GX 460 I don't know for sure if this TSB applies.
Old 03-21-17, 12:37 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

The "fix" for this issue sounds like something you could probably cobble together yourself.

I would call Lexus corporate though and show all the documentation you can that you asked them to address this problem, they wouldn't, and now there is a TSB for it. The TSB though isn't like a safety recall where they HAVE to cover it. It's just letting the dealership know they have a fix for a problem.

It does make me angry though how a dealership never has any problem with finding service when a car is outside the warranty.

Honestly, you're probably on your own on this, but it's worth a phone call or two.

My transmission on a different Lexus had a TSB for a flash update with a shifting issue, and I had to pay out of pocket as the previous owner never got it done.
Old 03-22-17, 07:18 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MickeyS
Well, this is the update on the situation. I found a TSB about the rattle showed it to the service advisor and he wouldn't even look at it. The truck stays at the dealer for two days, no one calls me, finally I called and they tell me that the warranty adjuster saw it and they wouldn't cover the job. The sales rep tells me is about $800, they would cover the part ($239) and I should pay for the labor. Thank you but no. I am picking my truck up today, I am going to figure out a way to fix the rattle myself. This is the TSB I found on the internet:
http://www.autoserviceprofessional.c...us-seat-rattle

I have a 2010GX 460 I don't know for sure if this TSB applies.
Searching the part number on Google shows that it costs under $50....
Old 03-23-17, 05:41 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

If it's still under warranty go to another dealer with the TSB in hand.. I had a similar situation where my selling dealer after several visits kept telling me that there was no creaking noise coming from the rear suspension, and everything was fine.

Finally took it to a different to a dealer where I had purchased two previous Lexus cars from in the past. Also while it was there I had them take a look at the parking brake which since new has always made a loud spring clunking sound when released. Another noise my selling dealer told me was normal.

After 30 mins the SA told me that rear trailing arms needed to be replaced and that it was a common issue. And the parking brake needed a minor adjustment.

It aggravated me that for almost two years we lived with these noises simply because (IMO) the selling dealer didn't want to be bothered with it. Guess who I will buying my next Lexus from???