GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cost for Hub and Wheel bearing replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-17, 09:47 PM
carferna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Cost for Hub and Wheel bearing replacement?

I live in Dallas and the Lexus dealership here(Park Lexus) want $1,100 to replace the hub and wheel bearing for the front driver side on a GX460. Is this a fair price?
Old 03-02-17, 05:07 AM
livesc400
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems a little high. The part itself should cost around $300-350 and the labor should be around $400-500. I'd say $750-850ish would be fair for the hub/bearing assembly. Not sure how you feel about an independent shop doing it, but it should be substantially less. Good luck!
Old 03-02-17, 06:49 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Why not go to a Toyota dealer or a trusted local shop?
Old 03-02-17, 09:30 AM
daxia
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's expensive for such a simple job. I replaced the wheel hub assembly of my LS430 myself for half an hour with a $75 non Toyota parts. After 40000 miles, it's still OK. I say definitely shopping around independent shops. It's simple job and simple parts.
Old 03-02-17, 11:06 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by daxia
That's expensive for such a simple job. I replaced the wheel hub assembly of my LS430 myself for half an hour with a $75 non Toyota parts. After 40000 miles, it's still OK. I say definitely shopping around independent shops. It's simple job and simple parts.
Other than the free services for the 5k and 10k on all my other Lexus vehicles I rely on a local shop to do the job. Tons cheaper and no problems. Toyota (or non-Toyota) parts are cheap and labor will be a lot less as well. I don't need the free latte or massage chair.
Old 03-09-17, 01:18 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by carferna
I live in Dallas and the Lexus dealership here(Park Lexus) want $1,100 to replace the hub and wheel bearing for the front driver side on a GX460. Is this a fair price?
Parts:
Cheap: DURAGO 29596012 @ rockauto etc, $67
Premium: http://bluepitbearings.com/2010-2014...el-Bearing.php $279.

How to:

No air/electric impact wrench? Use 3/4" drive breaker bar with 36mm socket (look on amazon.com or harborfreight.com etc)

Job's done
Old 03-09-17, 05:30 AM
Bluto
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call and price Toyota dealers, or local shops. Toyota dealer here was about $800. I did both on my 4Runner. You will need a BFH and chisel to get it off. I bought the loaded hubs from the seller in the above video on eBay. Don't buy the cheapest stuff you can find.
Old 11-25-19, 11:25 AM
Eliris
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For reference an indy lexus shop (Clear Choice of Houston) quoted me $660 for one side but I ended up doing it myself. That does not seem bad after the feedback above.

A few additional pointers if you want to do it yourself following the video above:
  • Always buy from reputable sources. Ebay is "tricky" (unless you know ur sellers) - amazon is more reliable. Of course other trusted sites are also good. I bought the bearing/hub assy for $150
  • I first tried to buy the bearing and the hub separately and have somebody press them in for me... Not worth it! Buy the pre-assemble bearing and hub with the o-rings and seals.
  • Get yourself a good chisel. You'll need it. Make sure it widens to at least 5/8". This was the most time consuming part as I didnt have a decent chisel
  • When removing the dust cap, i messed mine up (perforated the thin wall). I didnt have the proper tool. After that I ended up sacrificing an old flat screwdriver and grinding the tip as a mini chisel to initially separate the cap from the hub driving it between the cap and the hub. Once you get it 1/16" separated it's a piece of cake.

Job it totally doable.
So far i have successfully done the following myself on this car:
Replaced air springs in the back
Replaced all 4 shocks from adjustable to non-adjustable
Replaced 8 spark plugs (this is a PITA!)
Serpentine belt replacement (this is a PITA!)
Front driver bearing hub replacement

I'd be happy to share details

Last edited by Eliris; 11-25-19 at 11:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Eliris:
Acrad (11-25-19), GoldenGoon (02-25-22)
Old 11-25-19, 03:58 PM
Agarakon
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Once I had the parts and the tools (Oreillys Auto Parts loans tools with deposit) I was able to do this job in 2 hours in my garage. Make sure to use penetrating oil on all the bolts and then walk away for a while, also don't get it on the brake pads.
Old 11-27-19, 04:57 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I would love to hear a detailed writeup. I haven't had to deal with this kind of repair since I had an old '87 Nissan Maxima back in the early 90s.

Originally Posted by Eliris
For reference an indy lexus shop (Clear Choice of Houston) quoted me $660 for one side but I ended up doing it myself. That does not seem bad after the feedback above.

A few additional pointers if you want to do it yourself following the video above:
  • Always buy from reputable sources. Ebay is "tricky" (unless you know ur sellers) - amazon is more reliable. Of course other trusted sites are also good. I bought the bearing/hub assy for $150
  • I first tried to buy the bearing and the hub separately and have somebody press them in for me... Not worth it! Buy the pre-assemble bearing and hub with the o-rings and seals.
  • Get yourself a good chisel. You'll need it. Make sure it widens to at least 5/8". This was the most time consuming part as I didnt have a decent chisel
  • When removing the dust cap, i messed mine up (perforated the thin wall). I didnt have the proper tool. After that I ended up sacrificing an old flat screwdriver and grinding the tip as a mini chisel to initially separate the cap from the hub driving it between the cap and the hub. Once you get it 1/16" separated it's a piece of cake.

Job it totally doable.
So far i have successfully done the following myself on this car:
Replaced air springs in the back
Replaced all 4 shocks from adjustable to non-adjustable
Replaced 8 spark plugs (this is a PITA!)
Serpentine belt replacement (this is a PITA!)
Front driver bearing hub replacement

I'd be happy to share details
Old 11-27-19, 05:24 PM
Eliris
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well technically there isn't much more to it than what you see in the video, and my comments above... I didnt use the penetrating liquid, so that would've probably helped my rudimentary chisel to get the assy out.
but if youhave any specific questions lemme know.

Last edited by Eliris; 11-27-19 at 10:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (11-28-19)
Old 02-29-20, 02:10 PM
Joshporter
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel bearing issues

Just swapped the wife's tires thinking it was making tire noise. A grand later we have Michelin defenders and the same noise. Guess it's time to check wheel bearings. What brands would you guys suggest? I see they make a "module" or a complete hub assembly. Anyone have any helpful hints or past experience?
Old 02-29-20, 02:34 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

For the fronts go with NSK which are $61 each from Amazon and should just bolt in IIRC. NSK are made in Japan and are going to be better than Dorman, Beck/Arnley, etc. You can also try Timken which may just be a reboxed NSK. Make sure you do some more checking before you fire the parts cannon at the car...

If it's the rear, I would go OEM or Centric. Check Rock Auto for prices.
The following users liked this post:
Chaos236 (02-29-20)
Old 02-29-20, 02:46 PM
Joshporter
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the fast reply. I will be inspecting the vehicle tomorrow to determine the issue.
Old 02-29-20, 02:55 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Get the wheels off the ground so you can try and shake the tire at top and bottom and side to side. Then spin the wheel slowly and see if you hear any noises, grinding, etc.

What year is the GX and how many miles? If it is the bearings, you shouldn't be having a failure until at least 150k. Of course, driving conditions, climate, etc will work to shorten or lengthen the life span...
The following 2 users liked this post by Romanova:
Chaos236 (02-29-20), tecman (02-29-20)

Quick Reply: Cost for Hub and Wheel bearing replacement?